ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup vs focus ST

Engles Mummy
Hi all,

Found out the other day a mate of mine is getting the new ST. I read in the evo mag that the handling isn't that great and the 0-60 times are 6.5, which is about the same if not slower then a cup.

We are both the same in driving talent. I've had more experience in a faster car then he has, apart from that we are not that different when it comes down to racing.

Forget racing in a straight line I just want to know would I leave him behind in the corners?

Thanks, Adam

MINI JCW
Daz said:
No.
They are quick..

Arn't they a second or so quicker than an FRS round a track?

The ST was slower than the FRS and 182 around top gears track, it was a bit foggy though if that makes any difference

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport
I really like the new ST, chap at work has just picked up a blue one...looks the bollox. On most roads I'd say it'll be quicker, on twisties the cup is bound to be a lot more nimble. The only other bad point I can see is the fuel consumption.

In the real world the ST would be quicker imo, several around these parts and I followed one yesterday, 30 in a 60 behind another car, car turned off and the ST was just gone before I'd even thought about it. I'm guessing the extra torque etc means foot to the floor in any gear sends it on its way.

Round a track would be interesting, but thats not really relevant is it, when are we ever going to see an ST battling a Cup around a track with similar drivers?

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
my dad has an orange st and i have a 172, i drive both, handling is very good for a big car and it is very fast indeed, faster than my 172.

St is quicker but it wont be 100 car lengths in-front. You're talking about fractions of a second on those 0-60 times. Since when was the figures for cup's 6.5 secs or quicker? http://www.cliosport.net/index.php?pid=15 (again only fractions of a second higher than you expected which is the point im trying to make).

Wheel spin, road/weather condition and depending how good/brave you're driving is would depend on which would win around the twisties.

I'd probably say it's more down to the driver.

MINI JCW
ChrisK 172 said:
St is quicker but it wont be 100 car lengths in-front. You're talking about fractions of a second on those 0-60 times. Since when was the figures for cup's 6.5 secs or quicker? http://www.cliosport.net/index.php?pid=15 (again only fractions of a second higher than you expected which is the point im trying to make).

Wheel spin, road/weather condition and depending how good/brave you're driving is would depend on which would win around the twisties.

I'd probably say it's more down to the driver.

According to them specs the cup does 0-62 in 6.7 so it will do 0-60 in 6.5

ChrisK 172 said:
Since when was the figures for cup's 6.5 secs or quicker?

Several magazines got the Cup up to 60 in 6.5 seconds, including Evo I believe. Official from the original brochure I have in front of me is 6.9 to 62mph.

RB + LY 182 FF
my dad has the blue focus ST3 he traded in his CTR, and its fast i would of said its faster than the 172 and ctr's but i havnt drove a 172.
so i may be corrected...

i have not drove the ST neither :( he must not trust me lol i cant think why :)

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport
Are the figures on Top Gear for the old ST 170 or the new ST with 222bhp? in the Autocar test the new ST and it was quicker than the RS Focus.

Last edited:
  FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Once your moving the ST will devour a 172/182 imho.
Cornering will be close but the St has a fantastic set up from what ive read about it

ian

ukaskew said:
Several magazines got the Cup up to 60 in 6.5 seconds, including Evo I believe. Official from the original brochure I have in front of me is 6.9 to 62mph.

If the stated 6.9 secs can be done in 6.5 realisticly, then surely the st's 6.5 seconds can be done in 6 seconds flat, realisticly?

At the end of the day they are both quick cars which I think everyone knows.

MINI JCW
Chad said:
Are the figures on Top Gear for the old ST 170 or the new ST with 222bhp? in the Autocar test the new ST and it was quicker than the RS.

The top gear figures are for the new ST 222bhp

MINI JCW
ChrisK 172 said:
If the stated 6.9 secs can be done in 6.5 realisticly, then surely the st's 6.5 seconds can be done in 6 seconds flat, realisticly?

At the end of the day they are both quick cars which I think everyone knows.

not neccesarily it depends on how conservative the manufacturers figure is also Ford use 0-60 for their figures not 0-62 like most car manufacturers

Evo got the 182 to 60 in 6.6 and autocar in 6.3 also the megane 225's times were quicker than what renault said

Again fractions of a second. What would you like people to say? "Yeah you'll be streets ahead of him, the cup is so much quicker". I'm just giving my opinion.

I think if you had a race as you were saying in your first post it would be very close. If he's not quicker he'll certainly be on your bumper.

End of.

Renault Clio 172 Ph2
most mags see the 172/182 do 0-100 in 18 secs, the focis been doing it in 16 dead. out right grunt will always make the foci quicker. cheaper to tune aswell being a turbo application. still, the entertainment factor cant be much higher ;)

foci is a lot of car for the money.

MINI JCW
RobHardyUK said:
most mags see the 172/182 do 0-100 in 18 secs, the focis been doing it in 16 dead. out right grunt will always make the foci quicker. cheaper to tune aswell being a turbo application. still, the entertainment factor cant be much higher ;)

foci is a lot of car for the money.

I think they are a bit faster than 18secs, ive got autocar who say 17.0 for the 182 and 16.9 for the 172 cup also the 182 cup did 16.7 in the 0-100-0 challenge.

I think overall though it would be neck and neck to about 80 then the St should start to pull away and once over 100 pull away with ease. Round a track it would probably come down to the driver

MINI JCW
ChrisK 172 said:
Again fractions of a second. What would you like people to say? "Yeah you'll be streets ahead of him, the cup is so much quicker". I'm just giving my opinion.

I think if you had a race as you were saying in your first post it would be very close. If he's not quicker he'll certainly be on your bumper.

End of.

No one has said the cup is streets ahead, you were the one arguing about 0.2 of a sec

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport
TBH I'm beginning to think I'd rather have the focus.

The build quality on my 172 is starting to do my head in.......Maybe I'm just getting old.

172 Cup
I have just come in the house from following one.. Was tryna get him to put his foot down but he wasn't really having any. haha. Probably still tryna run it in.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone know what the brakes are like on them?

I know they're probably 4/6-piston calipers or something...but what are they like, braking time after time from say 130mph down to 70mph? Have any on track roadtests been published?

Regardless of that, I cannot wait until I come across one on track this year...modded or not, I'll be pushing it along all day long :)

pecan said:
I have just come in the house from following one.. Was tryna get him to put his foot down but he wasn't really having any. haha. Probably still tryna run it in.

That would be so annoying, having that power and clio sports zooming passed you, not being able to take it over a certain rev cos you're running it in.

I like all clio sports very much but I think the ST is a better car in certain aspects as do other people on here.

Would be cool to see one against a clio around a track.

Mk1 V6 Import
The ST is a almost a seocnd slower to 60 than the Focus RS. Check the stats at the back of any issue of EVO for the times...In the real worls theres nothing in it. Any 6-7 second hatch will be even stephens and noone will be able to say "mines quicker than yours" You need a 172 against a 4 or 5 second car to start seeing a difference!

But yeah...0-62 times and 0-60 times differ by about 0.4 of a seond as a rule of thumb...

Hey,i dont know much about the new ST,but,last year i took my 182 to a small track in blyton,prodrive i think it was with my mate and his scooby club,there was a focus RS there and i was beating his lap times by about 3 seconds! i dunno if he was a not so good driver or what but i really was pushing mine to the limit.

H22A7 Accord Type R
the pick up on the ST is fantastic! my mate has one, its an amazing car, FULL of character!