ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup whines when cold?

172 Cup
Been like it since I had it, for the first minute or 2 I get a whining noise coming from around the top. (almost sounds like a supercharger) but obviosly not!

Could this possibly be the camshaft bearings?

Car on 59.5k now, cambelt last done at 30k and I'm getting it changed at the end of the month (60k), would it be worth getting new cam bearings while the bonnets up?!

Have you guys any suggestions and ever heard of this before?
thank ya!
John

ph2 172
Been covered before mine has done it since i got it, had full aux and cam belt, tensioners, job lot and still does it. Quite a few peoples do it.

ph2 172
had it done at hill power, replaced tensioner and idle pulleys gave me the old stuff and the bearings in them were shot thats for sure, good job i didnt take any further to have it done.

Megane Trophy, Golf
They all do it mate, and mine has just had camblet + pulleys, aux belt, waterpump and dephaser done last week. I kinda like it ;)

RB 182 cup
normaly the oil pump ive found. most renaults do it, stick you head near the sump when its doing it and see if its coming from there. its either the pump itself or the chain that drive it off the crank..... i think lol

172 Cup
ive came to ignore it, seems normal, only lasts 2 mins and after that she sounds sweeter than a bottle of tropicana, but 172wizkid how much did that service cost you buddy, and where?! sounds pretty extensive and looks just the ticket for my 60k cup.

Megane Trophy, Golf
ive came to ignore it, seems normal, only lasts 2 mins and after that she sounds sweeter than a bottle of tropicana, but 172wizkid how much did that service cost you buddy, and where?! sounds pretty extensive and looks just the ticket for my 60k cup.

£590.00 @ Birchdown matey ;)

172 Cup
checked my engine bay today. mis read it last time! cambelt changed @ 39k in 2007, im on 60k now.

how long do these suckers go on for before they wanna snap? 5 years / 30k?...
ill put the sound down to it being a noisy french hatch!

Megane Trophy, Golf
checked my engine bay today. mis read it last time! cambelt changed @ 39k in 2007, im on 60k now.

how long do these suckers go on for before they wanna snap? 5 years / 30k?...
ill put the sound down to it being a noisy french hatch!

Did they cange the dephaser pulley when they did your belt? They tend to get quite noisy. Your belt will be good for a few more years. ;)

RS RIP
^^ above mentioned raises questionmarks (again) with me too

When they do a full cambelt-kit , is the dephaser pulley included ?

172 Cup
i have no log of my dephaser ever being worked on.
am i right in believing the dephaser works in a similar way to the vanos in bmw's?

is the dephaser job pricey by itself?

Megane Trophy, Golf
i have no log of my dephaser ever being worked on.
am i right in believing the dephaser works in a similar way to the vanos in bmw's?

is the dephaser job pricey by itself?

Not 100% sure what it does, its about £300.00 I would say to do
on its own :)