ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 de-cat and Viper - pics

New Viper IK. Actually for a Cooper-S, but it seems to be doing the job just fine.

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/file.php?image=1064592149__ik_decat_004.jpg

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/file.php?image=1064592273__ik_decat_005.jpg

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/file.php?image=1064592444__ik_decat_001.jpg

Bit worried about how close the air feed is to sucking up water and the odd badger, but Ill have a think about where else it can go (and no, Im not taking the fogs out)...

...and here are the mk1 172 catalytic convertors. The decat pipe is just a straight through pipe. Went on the car within 2 mins of picking it up so no pics Im afraid.

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/file.php?image=1064592379__ik_decat_003.jpg

Yeah, theres a difference. Im fairly sure its faster, but its noisier too so it could be a trick! The engine revs up much more freely with the decat on. The Viper hasnt made that much difference to my mind. Need the AP22 back of Craggy to try it out.

And yes, I definitely have an induction fetish.

Quote: Originally posted by Rhys on 26 September 2003

And yes, I definitely have an induction fetish.
hehe! im only messing, spent the day making a little duct and air feed to the front bumper on mine today!

quite pleased with it actually! lol

Quote: Originally posted by Paul Wicks on 26 September 2003

I presume its a Devil decat from Automotiff, how much did it cost?

Yeah, a Devil but from Prima.

What about the lamba sensors, I know this always comes up.

I only have the pre-cat lambda on my 172 which just pushed into the decat pipe halfway along its length. I think with 2 sensors, the post-cat one can just be taped up and left outside the de-cat pipe.

Did you fi it yourself?

ASCAR is Sheffield fitted it. It took about 50 minutes (the top bolts need to be acessed via engine bay and was clearly fiddly) and cost £25. Theyve done a great job on fitting the pipe. No blowing or rattling or buzzing.

The car is quite a bit louder.

paul - not going to Donnington (cant afford trackdays at the moment :cry:). Just wait until your MOT is done and get that cat replaced. Its not like it makes it a different car, but it does seem a bit quicker. Ill be able to tell better with the AP22 as Ive got loads of data to compare it against.

viceroy - well, sort of, but Ive already got more plans for the Viper! I really wasnt joking about the induction fetish....

Hi Rhys! I fitted my Devil de-cat myself the other week - and about half a day into it (and a bit of blood later) I really wished I had just paid someone else to do it! Those top two bolts are f*cking fiddly to take off (you really need two people and I couldnt find anyone stupid enough to help me so I ended up taping spanners in place on one side, then getting under the car to undo it from the other side!

Anyhow, I totally agree with what you said - it definitely doesnt feel like a totally different car or anything, but it does seem to rev up faster (a bit) and mine makes a generally less muted noise. In 1st and 2nd I cant tell much of a difference, but in 3rd and 4th Im pretty sure it pulls quite a bit harder from lower down the rev range. With it sounding different Im not sure whether its all just an illusion though?

At present Im not too sure whether it was worth all the hassle to be honest, certainly doesnt seem as fantastic as some people were making out it would be, but I may change my mind after a few more miles... Dunno...

PS: How come yours is only a 158 then Rhys?

Matt

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by Rhys on 27 September 2003

paul - not going to Donnington (cant afford trackdays at the moment :cry:). Just wait until your MOT is done and get that cat replaced. Its not like it makes it a different car, but it does seem a bit quicker. Ill be able to tell better with the AP22 as Ive got loads of data to compare it against.

viceroy - well, sort of, but Ive already got more plans for the Viper! I really wasnt joking about the induction fetish....
26th October is FREE Rhys!

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

Id be interested to see if the de-cat makes any difference on a rolling road, because those Mk1 172 twin cat pipes I think are quite good. Maybe get to race alongside you at a 1/4 mile day soon Rhys!

Rhys, 26th Oct at Donny is free (Clio Cup and Forumla Renault) want to talk to a couple of Cup teams to see if a few bits would bolt onto std 172, I think there are about 80 Clios going.

On October 4th (next Sat), Im doing a trackday at Donnington to test out my new suspension, come along for a passenger ride if you want, costs £20 to get a passenger pass though.

http://www.clio172.comwww.clio172.com

Feck, working next Saturday :( If the 26th is free, then Ill come along. Do you actually get some free track time or is it just watching race cars?

Ive got the AP22 back, so Im going to try some 0-60 runs tonight. I agree with matt that the biggest difference seems to be in 3rd, 4th and 5th. I was speaking to Craggy about his decat on his Saxo, and he reckoned that it didnt feel any quicker, but proved to be a lot faster on the 1/4 mile.

And Jas, Id be happy to muller the cliosport chairman down the strip ;)

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

hehe, ok, wouldnt be the first time I lost :oops:

Ive just had a de-cat fitted to the 16v, and it def. made a difference on that, but I think Renault have designed a good cat for the 172.

ICE'dberg MK2 172

Quote: Originally posted by Rhys on 28 September 2003

Feck, working next Saturday :( If the 26th is free, then Ill come along. Do you actually get some free track time or is it just watching race cars?
Check the meeting section...and send GTI Girl a mail...and get 4 tickets free!!

No track time, but a few parade laps at lunchtime behind the pace car. It was brilliant last year at Brands and was a good day out.

Will do, cheers.

Ive had to take off the Viper IK (made a c**k up with the inlet size) but with just the Viper, it takes the 0-60 (standard airbox) to highly consistent 6.3 seconds. Will sort out a new IK and try to higher speeds as it feels better in 3rd and 4th than 1st and 2nd.

ICE'dberg MK2 172

Looking again at your pictures I think your Viper looks a bit smaller than mine. Then again you said it was off a Mini.

How long was your cold air feed pipe?? my new one (same as yours) isnt the same length as my old one (old one 60mm dia cardboard!!!) and wont fit down to my front grill. Back to PX for a bit longer one.

Ive got the cloth and metal hoop (100mm?) airfeed. Its the other side of the viper that is too small. Will just sell it and get one with a wider diameter. When keeping lower than 6000rpm, the viper seemed to work well. It just couldnt supply enough air to supply high revs.

The normal airbox feels restrictive as hell compared to the various IKs Ive used over the last few weeks, but at least it can supply minimum required air for 7250rpm.

Im only guessing about this, but 7.8 down to 6.3 just by putting the standard airbox on is pretty significant.