ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Insurance Nightmare

EP3 Civic Type R
Hi Guys,

After being off the road for a while (problems with clio, using work car etc) im looking to insure my 172 again this week. Last time I purchased insurance almost 2 years ago I paid a nominal amount for a years cover. Now im being quoted upwards of £1400 ! I am 26 2 years no claims, surely this can not be correct.

I've searched previous threads on this site and people who are 21 seem to be getting better deals. Can anyone point me in the right direction as im sick of filling out the same forms online, price comparison websites etc etc. Any tips etc? Might seem daft post, just been out the loop for a while...

Ta much....

Impreza Wagon
Have you a read through the info in the insurance section? Most reasonable quotes seem to be coming from Admiral at the moment. I'm 24 with 5 years no claims and my renewal is going to be £600.

EP3 Civic Type R
Thank you for the replies, I have tried Admiral group, however due to an issue I had with them previously will not let me pay by direct debit. Swinton are looking at around £1150, but I still find this an extortionate amount. I am 26 and feel like I am trying to get cover for my 106gti when I was 19 again!

EP3 Civic Type R
Looks like thats going to be the plan then. Did not realise how much insurance has rocketed in the last 2 years

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Aye it has indeed, seems to be in main parts of England, i live in Glasgow and mine seems to have dropped ever so slightly, i'll be 25 when my renewal is up right enough!

EP3 Civic Type R
Managed to get sorted in the end £700 with HIC.... Swinton came close, but wanted to do some odd cashback deal where I basically paid £1300 and they gave me a cheque for £500 after 90 days !

RB 182
im with co-op insurance, im 17 obviously no years driving experience and i pay 2100 if this helps at all

Listerine & Poledo
im with co-op insurance, im 17 obviously no years driving experience and i pay 2100 if this helps at all

Da-aaa-aaamn

at 18 (1st year driving) I had to fork out £1800 for a very-bottom-of-the-range, un-turbo-diesel 1.5 Corsa.

Easy to forget how much the companies tear holes out of the young driver market

GRitch

ClioSport Club Member
  Polo BlueGT
When I first insured my Clio with tesco, I was 1300, then they gave me back 10% for pass plus and some other reason gave me more off, first year insurance I ended up paying 900. Now I'm getting quoted by tesco at the age of 22 and 4 years ncb 560 for a 182 with manifold, exhaust and airfilter

Seat Ibiza
Im 21, 4 years no claims, ph2 172...£700
I've heard if you leave your no claims unused for over a year you lose them, how long you been off the road?

RB 182
Easy to forget how much the companies tear holes out of the young driver market
True that, that was the very cheapestr i could get it too, there were some great offers for a 1.2 clio 8v at £12,000 and this company had the cheek to phone me back and ask why i hadnt picked them :L

Seat Ibiza
True that, that was the very cheapestr i could get it too, there were some great offers for a 1.2 clio 8v at £12,000 and this company had the cheek to phone me back and ask why i hadnt picked them :L
Ahahaa thats brilliant, I doubt it took much explaining did it?
Thats the only thing I hate about doing insurance quotes, hundreds of emails and pointless phone calls!!!

Renault Clio GT 1.6
I was quoted £3,100 for a 1.2 dynamique on my first year of driving, now is £900 but a sport would be over £5k for me :(

RB 182
^ lmao for me to be insured on a sport it costs over 7k from absolutly any company :p dam me being 17 and loving clios :(

Clio 197
try greenlight,

27 , 7 year NCB, 12k a year, fully comp with business usage (+TP on any other car) - £600

Giulietta 940
Aye, Greenlight... 25, 4 NCB, SP30 + 1 non-fault claim came to £570. Couldn't have been more pleased tbh, after all the insurance horror stories.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I really dont understand where some of these quotes come from.

Even when i was 18 i could insure a Cup for £14-1500 i didnt think that was that bad back then? Im 24 soon to be 25 and its less than £800 now.

Some of you are getting bent right over.

I really dont understand where some of these quotes come from.

Even when i was 18 i could insure a Cup for £14-1500 i didnt think that was that bad back then? Im 24 soon to be 25 and its less than £800 now.

Some of you are getting bent right over.

Things seem to have got a lot lot lot worse mate.

I insured my GTi for *too much* and would never pay that now. But it's not anywhere near some of the quotes people on here are getting for 1.2's.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Yeah things do seem to have got worse. I pad £650 to insure my Clio at 19 back in 2006. I did a quote recently with the exact same details, keeping my age at 19 and the quote was nearly £2k. Mental.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Things seem to have got a lot lot lot worse mate.

I insured my GTi for *too much* and would never pay that now. But it's not anywhere near some of the quotes people on here are getting for 1.2's.

Oh absolutley, but it seems only in England/Wales though? Most of my friends who are ages from around 19 to about 40's insurance hasnt changed much? I really do feel for younger drivers, as you say though, things are definatley worse...

Your cornered with it aswell, much like everything else to do with motoring. Hopefully the news that insurance for guys is to go down and to go up for woman will put a stop to getting priced off the road.

More clions on the road equals more claims, more claims means higher insurance premiums. Add in VAT rise and the insurance companies are giggling. Oh and don't forget your occupation makes a difference to your premium.

AJB

Clio Extreme
I'm only paying £810-ish (iirc) for my 1.2 (17, but 2 years ncb), my local insurance is p. good like that, only problem is they wont even let me touch a 172 for another year or so.

BG182FF
greenlight wont insure me cos i had lost my job :( any other companies allow any other car with Third Party Cover? im 25 by the way

107 Track Car & C4
I've just brought my 04 plate 182, and the cheapest i could get it was just over £1500 with Elephant. I'm 20 with 3 year NCB. It all depends on your post code, mileage etc.. Doesn't help its not off the road at night time.

Which wasn't terrible as i was previously paying £1200 for a 55 plate Pug 407SW

Liam

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
i was going to pay it off in full :( now i have to find another insurance company for like £400 more

Thats odd, i could see the issue if you were going to pay it up but why would they give a s**t if yo were working or not and paying the policy off in full?

Ill be honest id have just told them i was doing whatever it was before you lost your job, insurance companies are assholes.