ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 just failed it's MOT

Clio 172 Ph1
...only a month after a service at a Renault main dealer :mad:

Had it in at Harretts in Wakefield last month for several issues looking into along with a minor service being carried out. A new front arm, gearbox mount, rear wheel bearing, and £600 later I drive away in my fully serviced and fettled car happy in the knowledge that it'll sail through it's MOT.

Cue a month later and I'm being told by the garage that did the MOT that the car failed on 1) Nearside front spring is incomplete (ie broken) and 2) The offside front brake is binding. Now I'm not mechanically minded, but I'd have thought that Renault should have picked up these 2 faults when the car was with them, right? Surely a broken front spring isn't something that you can easily miss when carrying out a service and replacing the front arm?

If this is indeed the case, what then do you reckon are the chances of me getting anywhere with Harretts if I take the car back to them and complain? Ideally, what I'd like is for them to sort the issues at cost price ie I pay the parts, they pay the labour, as I think that's fair given that I'm already £40 down for a failed MOT due to their inabilty to properly service the car. Reasonable?

Lionel Richie
snapped front spring is sometimes easy to miss, i'd let them off on that

but a binding caliper!!!! tut tut

Clio 172 Ph1
snapped front spring is sometimes easy to miss, i'd let them off on that

but a binding caliper!!!! tut tut

So they should have definately picked up on the binding caliper then? Nice one, I'm definately going to put in a complaint. Wonder if e-mail, telephone, or in person is the best way forward?

you didnt notice either when driving??

No to be honest. I've not done many miles recently (only 200 or so since the service) and not been out for a spirited drive in ages.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Always go in person if your gonna complain . Emails and phone calls are easily fobbed off . Just be polite and see how you get on .

MCS R56
As mentioned, complain in person so you get answers on the spot and/or write. I phoned Renault to get a quote for an exhaust about 3 months ago. Since then, I've had several phone calls asking when I'm bringing the car in to get it done. They do not communicate. I informed them I didn't want the exhaust after the 1st call.

Ultra Red 197
Ive known a few Mk2's.. Even brand new!!.. Where a front spring was either not in its seat or broken..

Quite wierd how Reanult are blind to suspension!!

VX220 Turbo
i know it's not a broken front spring but my trophy had a dislocated front spring where it wasnt sitting properly in the strut top, i never noticed till i came to change the springs.

was it a proper service they did as a check on the brakes is part of the service checks.
it does make you wonder if they actually do everything they say they're doing.
Had my last service at endon renault and watched them doing everything as the waiting room has a window into the workshop :)

Maybe get them to pay for a mot retest, It wasnt Harrets that broke your spring or made the caliper bind, so why should they pay to get them fixed, if they had of noticed the faults on the original service you would of had to pay for them to be fixed anyway.Not having a go mate, just trying to see it from thier side.

306 GTI-6
Is it not possible that these faults happebed after the service and before the MOT? You say the service was carried out last month, how long ago exactly. I would imagine they will say these faults occurred after the service they carried out. It is possible.