ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 mk2 reliable

So whats the reliability situation with these babys?

anybody had any major problems or is there any common problems? + how much is a service major & Minor?

Thanks Matt:)

Subaru WRX

Matt,

Had my 02 172 from new ( April 02 ) its done 10,600 miles trouble free, havnt had the pleasure of a Renault service, yet so cant comment on price, not far away from the first one though !!

Mark :)

Renault servicing on mk2s is very expensive.

Its still french, so expect usual faults with attention to detail, mechanically as good as good as anything else.

Just to say that everything isnt rosey. I had my mark 2 in March and after 2,500 miles (and in france) it broke down - undrivable and left in France to be fixed. Next at 5,000 miles on the M40 it broke down again and towed back to Renault and fixed. Luckily the curse has been broken as im on 8,400 miles (unless it fails a 10,000 miles :cry:)

But apparently both problems are known faults and new parts have been changed. Still love the car tho

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Not had any problems with my mk2 172, but the previous owners have had the gearbox and center exhaust section replaced.

I have the 172 booked in for Wednesday to have a look at a knocking noise under wheelspin, and my Aircon.. which I think needs re-charged.

CTR EK9 turbo

_KDF if they dont fix your knocking under wheelspin - tell them its the engine mount underneath the battery that is the wrong bolt or loose. When they did that on mine it seemed to fix it. Alternatively get your garage to ring SMC Renault Woking on 01483 720322 as theyve fixed a few 172s with the knocking under acceleration - it seems the other garages dont have a clue on how to fix this.

With regards to reliability id have to be honest and say mine is appalling: 1 new gearbox, second is on its way out. Knocking under acceleration. Dodgy alarm/immob (wouldnt let me start it). Knackered key fob after about 2 weeks. Rust all over it. Water coming in from the boot. Idling going haywire - new idle sensor, doing it again occaisionally. Exhaust sections replaced twice.

All under warranty thank god, but its run out and luckily the things that have broken are breaking again and have another years warranty on them so its a viscious circle for Renault.

It seems Renault parts on the 172 have common problems with their Exhausts, Gearboxes, Sealing, Paint work. Those are all common faults so far that ive noticed.

I still love the car - for some strange reason and it p!$$e$ on most things....

Reliably u can expect people to get jelous people do things like smash off wing mirros and scratch ur car frequently.

You can also expect nova boys to race you in 30s and a mysterious squek to emerge from as still unknown place in the rear of the car

other than that thou....:D

Mav

Well i dont like the gearbox, not sure if its a unique one, or of a laguna or what? Anyway, good boxes stay together, bad ones dont

Ive had mine from new from Motorpoint and have had absolutely no problems at all. Didn;t use any oil on the running in period all the way up to my first service about a month ago. No banging under accelleration. Had the center section of the exhaust replaced at about 3000 miles, but now after around a further 6000 miles the rattle has disappeard. No leaks, no paint blemishs and hardly rattles. Ive done nearly 13000 miles so far and runs beatifully. Is this the best built Renault ever?

I know people always comment and remember on the bad experiences but you hardly ever hear about the good ones, so heres one.

Ran it in properly as stated in the manual, then after 625 miles been raggin since after ensuring the engine is nice a warmed up.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Simon172 on 16 December 2002

_KDF if they dont fix your knocking under wheelspin - tell them its the engine mount underneath the battery that is the wrong bolt or loose. When they did that on mine it seemed to fix it. Alternatively get your garage to ring SMC Renault Woking on 01483 720322 as theyve fixed a few 172s with the knocking under acceleration - it seems the other garages dont have a clue on how to fix this.

With regards to reliability id have to be honest and say mine is appalling: 1 new gearbox, second is on its way out. Knocking under acceleration. Dodgy alarm/immob (wouldnt let me start it). Knackered key fob after about 2 weeks. Rust all over it. Water coming in from the boot. Idling going haywire - new idle sensor, doing it again occaisionally. Exhaust sections replaced twice.

All under warranty thank god, but its run out and luckily the things that have broken are breaking again and have another years warranty on them so its a viscious circle for Renault.

It seems Renault parts on the 172 have common problems with their Exhausts, Gearboxes, Sealing, Paint work. Those are all common faults so far that ive noticed.

I still love the car - for some strange reason and it p!$$e$ on most things....

Thx Simon, I will be sure to mention that if the try to pull a fast one on me ;)

JonC It was a knocking noise only when you wheelspin the front wheels, usually in the wet.

Mechanically my cars fine too, no oil used either, tho mines just a 1.2. Had mine for about 6 months and have done 9000 miles, trouble free apart from sometimes stalling on cold mornings.

However, the renault service is quite poor. On arrival the car had a tiny ding, but should of been noticed, also the drivers door wasnt hung properly. I sent it to be repaired. 3 days later they gave me back a nice polished car, however the ding was there and the bad door, theyd taken 3 days to clean my car!!

My electrics were also hanging out from under the glovebox ( i got a laguna goldstar alarm fitted) and got it fixed, a week later, it was hanging out again. The lazy mechanic just pushed it back up!!

Just remember renaults arent built like vws, and u wont be treated as nicely, even though in sales terms, they are direct rivals.

Hi , Had my Mark 2 172 from New bought from uk Renault Dealer.Done 8,000 miles and no problems xcept for tyre wear.

Had a 1.8 16v before which was a dog ! (always had problems with the old 16v) but I personally find this model of clio to be excellent so far (hope this isnt the kiss of death) The cars tends to suffer from torque steering but that makes the car more fun and so far Im really pleased with the way the 172 drives. Excellent car.

Tyres wear down quickly though and just having my front two changed from Contis to BF Goodrich after checking with other drivers on this site for advice.

So far so good and its a much improved car to drive than previous clios ive owned.

Hope this helps.