ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Monaco blue track car build

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
Has that oil cooler got any space behind it for the air to flow out ??

I've ordered a hole saw so when I finish it off I'll be drilling a few holes behind. I might even put a port next to the number plate recess to increase the air flow.

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
Carried out a lot of work over the past few month so decided this thread needs a well overdue update!

Completed my oil cooler setup, tbh I'm not 100% happy with the position of the oil cooler, it's been a massive hassle mounting it were I did but this was due to the hose length I bought it with. Think in the future I'll look at changing this and use longer hoses.

IMG_1182.JPG

IMG_1183.JPG

Whilst working underneath the car I realised how untidy and unprofessional Tex screws are, self tappers and cars just don't mix. So I purchased a rivnut gun and went about replacing all the Tex screws to stainless steel rivnuts and button head screws.

IMG_1243.JPG

IMG_1246.JPG

IMG_1608.JPG

Wasn't planning on fitting a T7 heater for a while but one came up for sale at a good price so decided to make a start plumbing it in. Trying to find the exact size hose reducers was more difficult than I initially thought so ended up making my own at work.

IMG_1546.JPG

Quite happy with the setup now, ended up changing a few clips to mikalor T-bolt clamps, for peace of mind I'm not going to scald my passenger in boiling coolant! Also added some heat protective sleeving as the hoses can get very hot.

IMG_1326.JPG

IMG_1602.JPG

Ran one side of the heater hose aimed towards the windshield I'll do the same on the drivers side, but may need to remove the dash top to run the hose.

IMG_1600.JPG

More to follow...

Last edited:

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
Bought a set of cup wishbones with black series bushes fitted a while back and decided I would have a go fitting them in my garage, despite the size I have to work in. The next house I buy MUST have a double garage, fed up of the lack of space now.

IMG_1598.JPG

Don't have any photos of fitting the bottom arms but all went well and this got me thinking maybe it's possible to carry out a EPAS conversion myself in the garage. So I sourced all the parts needed and started cracking on.

Cup setup fitted, sourced the brackets from Germany via eBay and after searching part numbers all night I worked out the correct standard bolt sizes needed. Decided to purchase a reconditioned alternator as it comes with a guarantee. Need to remove the brackets for paint at some point.

IMG_1519.JPG

Plugs fitted and rack looped, after finishing the conversion I realised I had a knock when wiggling the steering wheel, I put this down to play in the steering rack so opted for a DCI rack which has solved the problem.

IMG_1530.JPG

IMG_1523.JPG

IMG_1554.JPG

Then moved inside to swap the column and start on the wiring

IMG_1512.JPG

IMG_1526.JPG

IMG_1527.JPG

IMG_1528.JPG

IMG_1533.JPG

More to follow..

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
Really happy with the EPAS and DCI rack! Before taking it out for its first proper road test in almost 2 years! I thought It would be best to give it a full service, new plugs, oil & filter, and gearbox oil. I already flushed the coolant when installing my T7 heater filling it with Renault type D coolant.

IMG_1556.JPG

Road test went really well popped to a friends garage to fit some AD08's ready for my first track day of the year. Whilst fitting them I noticed I had play in the drivers side ball joint despite it being brand new, on further inspection we noticed the hub was actually worn causing the slack. I've got one on its way so hopefully get it fitted some time this week.

Today I made a start on completing my plumbed in fire extinguisher I mounted a couple month back, I bought some new lifeline pull cables but was about 6" short for the shuttle panel so waiting on a 12ft" cable to finish it off.

IMG_1596.JPG

IMG_1595.JPG

IMG_1594.JPG

IMG_1589.JPG

IMG_1588.JPG

IMG_1587.JPG

IMG_1603.JPG

Thought I'd tidy up some of the cables in the engine bay using the heat protective sleeve I bought for the heater hoses.

IMG_1591.JPG

IMG_1592.JPG

Pretty much finished now just little bits and pieces but I'll try and keep on top of this, just waiting on my hub to come so I can get that fitted and take it to get corner weighted and alligned.

Last edited:

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Great work.

I finished blanking off my steering rack today had a nightmare removing one of the pipes from the rack which are looped! Just got to put my column now.

Make sure we keep it us all up-to-date.

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
Yeah I think all them pipes are a nightmare! I bought some stubby spanners a couple weeks ago which really came in handy!
I need to find one of those 1.2 heat shields! So jealous of yours haha.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Yeah I think all them pipes are a nightmare! I bought some stubby spanners a couple weeks ago which really came in handy!
I need to find one of those 1.2 heat shields! So jealous of yours haha.

I painted it the other night also! Can't wait to get it fitted.

If I can locate another one I'll let you know, took me ages to find one so don't hold your breath!

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
I painted it the other night also! Can't wait to get it fitted.

If I can locate another one I'll let you know, took me ages to find one so don't hold your breath!

Yeah I seen on your instagram haha I went on another hunt after and couldn't find anything. Might start looking in the scrap yards, any idea what year/phase clio they come off? Cheers for that!

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Yeah I seen on your instagram haha I went on another hunt after and couldn't find anything. Might start looking in the scrap yards, any idea what year/phase clio they come off? Cheers for that!

I think its from a Clio 2002 - 2005 on a basic 1.2 etc. A member from here got it for me I'll drop him a message to see if he can find another.

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
I mentioned in the last update I needed to replace my hub well that's been swapped and definitely needed changed.

IMG_1624.JPG

Noticed whilst fitting my Whiteline rarb the solid rear brake line that runs along the axle was corroded, so bad when I moved it out the way it started to leak. Spoke to Pro-line motorsport who sent out some replacements super fast. Fitted them today and I'm very happy heard some good and bad things about their service but I was more than happy. Wasn't sure on whether the standard brackets were needed so contacted Mitch who was more than helpful.

IMG_1761.JPG

IMG_1760.JPG

IMG_1766.JPG

IMG_1756.JPG

Thank you to @Sonic Boom for his Ktec competition engine and gearbox mounts, went on with no issues and look basically brand new!

IMG_1765.JPG
IMG_1764.JPG

Still waiting to get it tracked and corner weighted but need to change my abs rings beforehand as sometimes I can feel abs kicking in when slowly coming to a stop.

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
My girlfriend decided to lock me out after nightshift this morning so I took the chance to get a couple pics, It was clayed it a couple months back just need to get round to giving it a machine polish and wax.

IMG_1805.JPG

How do people go about torquing the rear strut damper bolts when fitting a Whitline? I ended up jamming a 14mm spanner between the axle and L-shape bracket on the N/S to stop it spinning and on the drivers I just guessed where to put the bracket so it ended up in the correct position when tight.

IMG_1802.JPG

Sneaky pic of the new brake hoses from Mitch

IMG_1804.JPG

Forgot to mention I bought a Longacre bulk head adapter in the process of fitting my EPAS, seemed silly running two power cables from the cabin into the engine bay.

IMG_1806.JPG

IMG_1607.JPG

Hate using the standard Renault trim plugs so replaced them with a couple bolts and wingnuts.

IMG_1597.JPG

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Car looks really cool. I am really tempted to put EPAS on my track car. How have you found it? Would you recommend getting complete with DCI rack and fitting all together instead of looping the PAS rack? So much neater than the standard set up. Take it you use a shorter aux belt. Sorry for all the questions.

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
Thanks! I love it! I like how easy it is to adjust for driving around the streets and parking. When on motorways etc I basically turn it off as I don't like how light it feels. I've never took it on a spirited drive as I haven't had it alligned. I'd recommend just looping your standard rack to be honest, if it's in decent condition. Mine doesn't self centre not sure if it's down to the DCI rack or allignment. One thing I love which you've mentioned is how simple everything is, having the DCI rack is good in that department. Yeah I used a shorter belt 4pk 847 iirc.

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
So my mate stopped back at work today so I took the chance to pop up and fit my ABS rings and PMS damper.

Not too impressed with the damper to be fair, I didn't suffer from much vibration to start with but thought it would reduce the vibration I get over 4K revs and it's done absolutely nothing. I'll probably take it off as it's just unnecessary weight.

IMG_1823.JPG

Changed both ABS rings as I could feel it kicking in when coming to a slow stop. I was greeted to a nice crack on the O/S ring so nice cheap fix.

IMG_1822.JPG

IMG_1824.JPG

Cullen

ClioSport Club Member
So my mate stopped back at work today so I took the chance to pop up and fit my ABS rings and PMS damper.

Not too impressed with the damper to be fair, I didn't suffer from much vibration to start with but thought it would reduce the vibration I get over 4K revs and it's done absolutely nothing. I'll probably take it off as it's just unnecessary weight.

View attachment 1360276

Changed both ABS rings as I could feel it kicking in when coming to a slow stop. I was greeted to a nice crack on the O/S ring so nice cheap fix.

View attachment 1360277
View attachment 1360278
Im sure i read in someones thread the other day they moved the damper alot further up and it helped reduce vibration more than the recommended position.

Cracking little car,i think your build has swayed me to definatly spray the floor, as i too like a more complete looking car.

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
Im sure i read in someones thread the other day they moved the damper alot further up and it helped reduce vibration more than the recommended position.

Cracking little car,i think your build has swayed me to definatly spray the floor, as i too like a more complete looking car.

Might give it a try before getting rid, cheers! Yeah I definitely recommend painting the floor isn't a hard job to be honest and makes a huge difference, I think running the rear loom into the quarter panels makes a big difference as well makes things a lot tidier!

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
Nice work :up:

I HATE the Longacre bulk head adapter !, its an exposed LIVE terminal surrounded by everything that's earthed ! Much better to run the cable through the bulkhead sealed with a grommet.

Cheers, yeah I have thought about that, I was just going to order a plastic cap for the nut and insulate the exposed areas of the terminals.

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
Finally got the Clio aligned today, after doing some searching on here I asked for the camber to be set between 2-2.5deg and around 5 minutes toe out either side.

Looking at the printout I'm not 100% sure that's what I've got, would be nice if someone could give it a look over for me.

IMG_1853.JPG

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
Spoke to the garage who did my alignment and the guy got mixed up with what I asked, he thought I wanted .5mm each side rather than 5 mins so going back tomorrow to get it sorted.

Made the most of the terrible weather today and made a start stripping the looms back. Thought I'd start with the rear as it's pretty basic and once done I can trace the redundant wires back in the main loom from the plug. Wasn't too bad to be honest I think the worst part is getting the old tape off, and trying to stop the wires getting tangled.

IMG_1869.JPG

IMG_1870.JPG

IMG_1873.JPG

Tested the loom back in the car and it works perfectly so I just need to re-wrap it in some raylon self self amalgamating tape, I also decided to get rid of the boot central locking as I have a set of Aerocatches to fit.

I'm going to tackle both door looms tomorrow as again they'll be pretty simply as it's only the central locking cables I want to keep. Then on to the main loom which I'm pretty nervous about, I've been pretty lucky as I've cut a few cables back and removed quite a lot of fuses so I know the car runs fine without them it's just a case of getting them out the loom without upsetting anything else.

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
Just curious if my build is back on the site? I sold it early last year and I know it's been a sold a couple times since.