ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 ON A WILLY

Massey6465 & saxo1.1

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 13 September 2004

it wouldnt.

all clios are the same quickness.
I like that answer! Anyway ive never seen a clio (172 or willy) take a sh*te!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

The willy was and still is great but newer is better and all that and you can only hold on to nostalgia for so long

Apart from modded cars which are so varied it is a well known fact that 172s or 127s which ever you are more jealous of are quicker in almost every respect...Evo 34 did a slalom test with the willy and new 172 in evo 34...It was something like 100 metres of asphalt and the cars had to go from standstill to the end of the cones which were something like 20ft apart...now how much more twisty can that be eh....

The 172(127) beat the willy and beat it to 60 and 100mph and top end.....

These were pro drivers and not someone who knows their favourite a or b road against someone who was on holiday and never used the road before...

ian

Polo GTi

Quote: Originally posted by James on 13 September 2004

The willy will gain on a 172 as the rust falls out making the car much lighter.
:D the reason the Willys rust usually, is because they are driven and used everyday, you havent seen many newer Clios rust yet, as they always seem to be in for warranty work :p

Quote: Originally posted by FlamingMonkey on 13 September 2004

The willy will gain on a 172 as the rust falls out making the car much lighter.
:D the reason the Willys rust usually, is because they are driven and used everyday, you havent seen many newer Clios rust yet, as they always seem to be in for warranty work :p
Too true mate! :mad:

Kev.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

So thats settled then...17poo is better at cone dodging, the Williams is better at tackling a twisty B road! :D this thread could go on forever..

6th Greatest Drivers Car of the Last Decade!!!EVO TM

Quote: Originally posted by markknightpz on 13 September 2004

so basically round a track the majority of people agree that the willy would win, in a strait line the 172.
I think on a B road but my guess would be a 172 Cup would have a Williams on track?

The Williams wasnt set up for track racing more B roads.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed

Well, it was named to celebrate the fact that Renault had a deal with Williams for F1 cars...

yeah, but williams modified this car.

and im sure this was intended for track use

[Edited by markknightpz on 13 September 2004 at 11:03pm]

Polo GTi

And the Cup was named after Renault affiliation with PG Tips, infact I heard the PG Tips Chimps had a hand in building the 172s...lol :p

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

eh? no, it was made to be raced round a track, lol. hence the name "williams".
No, no, no it was designed and built to be a Rally car...

[Edited by Martin. on 13 September 2004 at 11:03pm]

PMSL @ Flaming Monkey

Quote: Originally posted by Martin. on 13 September 2004

No, no, no it was designed and built to be a Rally car...
Yup - the Williams has tonnes of Rallying pedegree as thats what it was designed and used for.

It has no F1 pedegree but was named so to celebrate Renault Williams F1 Team winning the world championship.

Polo GTi

Id heard that the Clio Williams had been named after the cheeky boy from Stoke, after his departure from Take That, he needed a car that could get him from A to B, thus he went and Contacted Jean A La Fois Renault, who sorted this out for him...all this Williams F1 thing is a conspiracy, I have seen a flash movie of this.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

no the rally version was intended to be a rally car
Sheesh....the road car was built to tackle rough surfaced B roads and the like not a smooth racetrack....do a search on google for Christ sake instead of talking sh*te....

Id heard that the Clio Williams had been named after the cheeky boy from Stoke, after his departure from Take That, he needed a car that could get him from A to B, thus he went and Contacted Jean A La Fois Renault, who sorted this out for him...all this Williams F1 thing is a conspiracy, I have seen a flash movie of this.
FM you are on form tonight LMAO

172 cup TT

The Mk2 172 being the lardy of the bunch would find it close but the Mk1 and Cup, possibly 182 would see a distinct edge.

Nice :cool:

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Quote: Originally posted by 007 on 13 September 2004

FM you are on form tonight LMAO
Youre killing me..pmsl

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Quote: Origin~~~y posted by markknightpz on 13 September 2004

lotus modded astras but it didnt make them any good did it??

;)

[Edited by ian 172 on 13 September 2004 at 11:15pm]

the willy had been modified by williams thats why it was named after it, lol.

Im sorry but thats like saying the focus RS, skoda fabia and other such cars were made to be rally cars. but the rally versions of these cars have had thousands spent on them. so dont tell me im talking sh*te.

er................NO........ Williams had fook all to do with this great car bar the naming!

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Williams had NO PART IN MODIFYING OR DESIGNING THE WILLIAMS. It was just a marketing tie in with F1...youve got be on the wind up!!! Christ!

Polo GTi

Quote: Originally posted by ian 172 on 13 September 2004

Quote: Origin~~~y posted by markknightpz on 13 September 2004

lotus modded astras but it didnt make them any good did it??

;)

[Edited by ian 172 on 13 September 2004 at 11:15pm]
Did a good job of the Carlton though dont you agree? Although I have no idea if they actually did anything bar the name

Clio v6

Pointless these threads are. You know Williams owners are going to defend these old classic rust piles to the last fragment.

You only have to look on the Austin 7 Owners Club forum to see similar arguments STILL GOING ON, and on, and on................

the willy had been modified by williams thats why it was named after it, lol.

Im sorry but thats like saying the focus RS, skoda fabia and other such cars were made to be rally cars. but the rally versions of these cars have had thousands spent on them. so dont tell me im talking sh*te.
Williams had NOTHING - NOTHING AT ALL - to do with the Clio Williams!!!

You understand!!! NOTHING!!! Renault mearly named it Williams FFS!!!

It came about due to increased capacity in the F2 Rally class the Clio 16v was in - so they created a 2ltr car instead of the 1.8 and called it a Clio Williams!!! A FUPPING RALLY CAR - NOT A F1 CAR OR ANYTHING TO DO WITH F1

Glad I got that off my chest!!

Pointless these threads are. You know Williams owners are going to defend these old classic rust piles to the last fragment.

You only have to look on the Austin 7 Owners Club forum to see similar arguments STILL GOING ON, and on, and on................
Fishing tonight James? LOL

:confused: B roads master the williams was!

172 would have edge on track

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Quote: Origin~~~y posted by James on 13 September 2004

lmao

cant be f**ked anymore, anyway williams is quicker round a track I know that
Given his extensive knowledge of the williams he must be right

LMAO

Polo GTi

Quote: Originally posted by brazo on 13 September 2004

:confused: B roads master the williams was!

172 would have edge on track
Yeah the edge of a butter knife

just cant be bothered to argue, dont mind discussing, just a few of you dont know how to do that
I think youll find most of us know the history pretty well - I have quite a few articals from 1992/93/94 on who,how and why it was made.

There isnt anything to discuss really - the name Willliams is pure marketing for a very good car that could have been called a Clio 150.

Just like a Focus RS has nothing to do with Fords Rallye Sport team. It will have been developed by Ford special Vehicals team and was more a track than a Rallye car.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Ive been talking absolute sh*te for the last ten minutes and have shown myself as knowing fook all about the Williams. So Ill make a swift exit knowing Ive just made a real tit of myself.
Sorry pal but you were very, very wrong