ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 or Cup

Hi all.

Am sure this has been covered before - so pls ignore if so..... and I have posted on other sites - so again..... just ignore! ;)

Am in the process of selling my Supra Twin Turbo - and need to economise a bit - hence the question above.

Should be in the market either Mk1 / 2 172 or maybe a Cup. In real driving conditions, what are peoples thoughts on either (Or both)?

Many thanks

Flash :cool:

Renault Laguna Coupe

Welcome to Cliosport mate!

If you like toys like climate control, Xenon lights, leather seats etc, get a 172. Cup is a bit better to drive, more hardcore image.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

There both the same exept one has the toys and one hasnt

The cup is marginally quicker and comes in the most gorgeous blue and my 172 didnt:mad:

ian

Being as polite as possible this has been debated to death and a simple search will give you days worth of material to read.
Apologies for this mate - guess I just posted before thinking :oops:

Really depends what your after, what kind of driving do you do?

Nothing too dramatic - 30 Miles a day to and from work using long sweeping A roads. Having read the spec sheets - the only thing I was a bit concerned about was the lack of ABS. The other toys are all nice - but.........

Well, thanks for the welcomes / replies - I will attack the Search function, and will be sure to let you know what I end up with

Flash

172 Cup

No problem Flash. When youve been on here for any length of time you see this question raised all the time. Have a look through the search and if theres something you are unsure of then feel free to ask.

If you have any Cup specific questions feel free to PM me..

Renault Laguna Coupe

Just look around for really long threads. Anything with more than about 6 pages is probably a 172 vs Cup thread ;)

Mk1 172 awesome car had one, Mk2 same toys slower, Cup best of both worlds, but dismal interior...........

PS Doesnt matter when you have no carpet and two buckets seats tho.

13.9 s 1/4 in Cup...

14.5 in Mk1 172...

Tim O

172 cup TT

go for the 4 seater range topping cup - or if you want a fairly warm hatch then the normal 172.. depends what you want

Nice

i also do a 30 mile a day slog to and from work, i think youll appreciate all the little extras to play with when your cruising in it for hours on end each.

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by Floodie on 26 October 2004

go for the 4 seater range topping cup - or if you want a fairly warm hatch then the normal 172.. depends what you want

Nice
True. Simple choice. People either think your a cheapskate who couldnt afford a proper 172, or they wont.

Im so sorry. I couldnt resist. But 172 "fairly warm hatch"?? Give me a f**king break!!

speak to cbscup or brazo about the difference in performance between a 172 and cup on the road, both are cup owners and both will admit that you cant split the two. on the track with two proffesional drivers it will be a bit quicker but otherwise its a a case of do you want the blue colour and turninis or do you want the toys. and before any cup owners say the handling is better etc i think a set of eibachs on the 172 will sort that out, i opted for coilovers which were well worth the cash IMO

Suzuki SV1000S

Quote: Originally posted by visceral on 27 October 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Adamf on 27 October 2004

Quite fancy swapping my Cup for a 172 actually!

Black or Red of course!
dont forget the rarely seen Iceburg Silver!

or the even RARER mk1 in Iceburg Silver

Abarth 500

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 27 October 2004

speak to cbscup or brazo about the difference in performance between a 172 and cup on the road, both are cup owners and both will admit that you cant split the two. on the track with two proffesional drivers it will be a bit quicker but otherwise its a a case of do you want the blue colour and turninis or do you want the toys. and before any cup owners say the handling is better etc i think a set of eibachs on the 172 will sort that out, i opted for coilovers which were well worth the cash IMO
agreed... :)o)

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by 106GTi97 on 26 October 2004

172 - warm hatch to me

hot hatch = 205 1.9 gti to me
How is it a warm hatch?? Youll have to explain this one to me..... Have you ever driven one?

Embarrassed to say

Dont know about warm. My cup always gave the feeling of being in the ronin car chase, except accelerating a lot quicker.

Embarrassed to say

Had 2 cups now, sold them to buy more expensive cars however while driving more expensive cars always kept think about the cup. IMHO i would say cup over 172 easily. Its like being in love with one girl and sleeping with another thinking about the girl your in love with. Also cant decide whether my fourth clio should be another cup and get 182 tyres or a 182.

dk

911 GTS Cab

call me the devil, but why not go for the best of both worlds and get the toys of the 172 with the speed and handling of the cup, a 182 with cup options?

Nah go for a Cup over a 182 and with the money saved get yourself a magnex, janspeed de-cat and a R sport ECU. Car will be in a different league for straight line performance. All imho of course.

Seems an even split. My budget seems to have put me smack bang in the middle of all the desired cars. Decision process as follows:

Cup - Prob a marginally better drive - but I think I would have to submit to my shallow side and go for the toys...... so......

2001 172 Y - last of the Mk1s

Quote: Originally posted by flash555 on 28 October 2004

Seems an even split. My budget seems to have put me smack bang in the middle of all the desired cars. Decision process as follows:

Cup - Prob a marginally better drive - but I think I would have to submit to my shallow side and go for the toys...... so......

2001 172 Y - last of the Mk1s

Sorry - pressed the wrong button.......anyway

2001 172 Y as above

2001 172 Exclusive Y More toys

2001 + 172 51+ MkII Less problems with resale as number plate "looks newer" - sounds shallow but is hitting dealers apparantly

God I thought this was gonna be easy

Quote: Originally posted by George16v on 29 October 2004

Never easy choosing a car, Unless you get over excited and buy the first one you see, like some people
never a truer word spoken! Been there, done that........... Is so hard not to though. After the Supe goes I am going to be driving the old mans 1.6 Hyundai coupe............ oh, sorry, did I say coupe? Meant to say Lantra :sleep: so I need to find something pdq