ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 or GTI-6

R

rich[182]

mate had a P reg gti-6 a few years back, it was fast but always remember the handling and brakes, def one of the best handling cars ive ever been in, puts my 172 to shame, different league when it comes to handling, if i came up against one even on the twisties i wouldnt even bother TBH

VaVa

I dunno. Id argue whether a 306 would be that much faster through some bends. It was more about the composure and the feel when cornering, rather than the out and out pace. The Clio requires you to really take it by the scruff of the neck, whereas the 306 is much more stable and easier to drive to the limit imho, much like the Williams.

Was driving a 306 last weekend - didnt feel overly fast but the owner thinks the cat may be blocked.

It felt better screwed together than a Clio and more solid. He picked it up off ebay - a later spec one with 60k on the clock for £2700 IIRC. Really nice car.

R

rich[182]

lagerlout - yeh know what your saying, the point i wanted to put across was the 306 def feels more stable and sticks to road like glue, I dont think Ill ever feel confident pushing my std 172 through twisties whereas in 306 it would just "feel" better, I def need a set of eibach pros to improve things a bit
I think a better driver than me or shall I say someone prepared to take more risks and know what there doing would extract more from the 172 TBH but if I think of a straight comparison of the 2 cars with me driving then id prefer the 306 IMHO

This has been touched upon before. The 172/182 can feel a little light and twitchy in corners, but I think youll find it gets that way when youre carrying more speed than you would in any other car.

I would still place the 306 as a champion though, and thats only based on my XSi. To me, my 182Cup is a much more devastating tool, but I know what you mean about the 306...its a beautiful road muncher. Proper genius of the old school :D

I think we should cherish these cars because I fear theyll all be gone in not so many years, replaced with 10Star NCAP, zero emission, self steering cars that teleport us to work :sick:

306 Rallye, 306 HDi

Hi there, being a 306 rallye owner, and being realistic with figures, I admit that my car was outdragged by a 172 sport when I first bought it. However it was only running 163.2bhp at the time.

I still believe that a 172 will beat it now, at 182bhp.

I really rate the clio sport models, and know that they are very fast indeed. If I never bought a rallye myself (fulfullment on a dream) I would have bought a 172 cup. I totally love the 172s and 182s, and they are fantastic cars, and would never slate them!

Hope you agree with my comments above, sports rock!

I wont however be getting a clio tho. The V6 was tempting at first, but Ive been offered an evo 5 GSR, and that is another dream of mine.

Overall, the clio 172s and 182s are fantastic cars

Quote: Originally posted by Yeungster on 26 February 2005
Hi there, being a 306 rallye owner, and being realistic with figures...

You had me at 306 Rallye..Welcome!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Roy Munson on 25 February 2005

This has been touched upon before. The 172/182 can feel a little light and twitchy in corners, but I think youll find it gets that way when youre carrying more speed than you would in any other car.
Thats not really why though... its becuase the Clio is small & light with firm suspension...

Yeah I realise that. Im only saying that my perception of the Clio feeling twitchy in some corners, is that it feels that way because Im carrying more speed than I would have been in most other cars.

The 306 is a mighty car, but Id never had dared fling mine about with such blatant disregard for the laws of physics like I do in my Clio. Mine isnt a 6 though of course.

[Edited by Roy Munson on 2/26/2005 12:28:31 PM]

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Roy Munson on 26 February 2005

Yeah I realise that. Im only saying that my perception of the Clio feeling twitchy in some corners, is that it feels that way because Im carrying more speed than I would have been in most other cars.
Yeah, the 182 will be way quicker than your 306 was...

Quote: Originally posted by Roy Munson on 26 February 2005

The 306 is a mighty car, but Id never had dared fling mine about with such blatant disregard for the laws of physics like I do in my Clio. Mine isnt a 6 though of course.
I used to throw my Cup about, but the 306 is more forgiving.

Thanks again for the sensible replies everybody, looks like Im going the 6 route!!! How different from a 16V is a 6 as that is what I had last and loved it but just want to go a step up in terms of straight line speed and handling!?

Mike.

Ive just been out for ragathon (on my test track) Shes proper run-in now and has had an oil change at 1600m. Caned her in every gear and hammered her round the bends.

I must say you do have to hold on to the wheel! tramlining and torque steering over bumps and undualations - kicking a back wheel and skipping over mid corner ripples.

I would agree that the 306 would be much easier to handle on that section of my test track, but the Cup is just so fricken hardcore I think Ive fallen in love with it. The rasp of the exhaust as you just miss slamming the limiter - and pick another cog - the engine barking as it picks up the new gear and hammers the power back down into the tarmac - 5000rpm comes up fast and woah! here comes some torque steer mixed with a crappy ripply bumpy road mid corner...waaaaaaaaahhhh! hold on to that wheel tight dude or youre gonna be a lot more familiar with that hedge! LOVE IT! :D

172 cup

I love my 306 XSi, but always had a slight inferiority complex because i wanted a gti-6 and new id get pissed on by the likes of 106gtis, vtss and rs turbos. Now with my cup its a different story tho. It is a very quick car, and not being used to it yet its a bit scary at the mo. Although it is fun holding on for dear life when i floor it in 2nd or 3rd. Still not confident chucking it around corners like i could with the 306 tho.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by jaf78 on 27 February 2005

i wanted a gti-6 and knew id get pissed on by the likes of 106gtis, vtss and rs turbos.
How you gonna get "pissed on" by 106 GTis, VTSs and RS Turbos???

The GTi-6 is quicker than they are, Im talking standard vs standard!

Quote: Originally posted by jaf78 on 27 February 2005

Still not confident chucking it around corners like i could with the 306 tho.
Yeah, I went from a 306 Rallye to a 172 Cup and it did feel light & twitchy compared to the 306 at first, but you will get more confident...

i got my choice of car to buy down to the williams and a 306gti6, think one of main reasons i got williams was rarer and stands out more to std clio, were as the 306 isnt that much different looking, but great if your after a more stealth fast car! great handling to and a 6th gear lol

Remapped derv Golf

306 GTi6 are very quick! I remember when JONGSR4 first got his Evo and one giving him a hard time. Although the Evo did respond better to 3rd gear blip down at 80mph. Left the guy once over a ton ;)

172 cup

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 27 February 2005

How you gonna get "pissed on" by 106 GTis, VTSs and RS Turbos???

The GTi-6 is quicker than they are, Im talking standard vs standard!

I meant my Xsi would. Not a gti-6. Thats why i wanted one.

My cup feels a lot lighter than my 306, both when accelerating hard and when cornering, and the steering itself feels lighter. I am starting to get used to it, and the tyres on it (exaltos) are bloody good.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by jaf78 on 03 March 2005

I meant my Xsi would. Not a gti-6. Thats why i wanted one.
Sorry... got my wires crossed... :oops:

Just that I have both a 106 GTi and 306 GTi-6 sat on my drive, been using the 106 mainly this week, as the clutch is going in the 306.

Quote: Originally posted by jaf78 on 03 March 2005

My cup feels a lot lighter than my 306, both when accelerating hard and when cornering, and the steering itself feels lighter. I am starting to get used to it, and the tyres on it (exaltos) are bloody good.
Yeah, they are though... the Cup only weighs 1021kg wheras the GTi-6 (phase 2 & 3) weigh 1215kg!

172 cup

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 03 March 2005

Yeah, they are though... the Cup only weighs 1021kg wheras the GTi-6 (phase 2 & 3) weigh 1215kg!
Surely the colour coded phase 3 rub strips weigh less than the phase 2 ones? lol.

For the record i finally sold my 306 xsi on wednesday nite. I was well sad to see it go, but it was tgetin old and ive moved onto bigger and better things. Well, smaller and better.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Not sure if there ever was an official weight for the revised Phase 3, as Pug just quote 1215kg for that shape of car.

However the Phase 1 (like mine) is a lighter car, basically weighs the same as the Rallye, but I still have leather & electrics, although no aircon, no auto wipers, no extra airbags, etc... which suits me fine!

Glad to hear youve sold your 306 though, we had real problems selling my Mrs old Clio when she got a 106 GTi and tried to then sell the Clio privately.

Mo boyfriend bought a pug 306 GTI6 and she goes like stink, She has fab leather /suede interior and we are actually thinking of selling her, She is P reg and in great condition wont be for a month or 2 though.......I am gutted cause he wont let me keep it cause of the milage i do everyweek, will have to stick to the trusty diesel i guess......

172 cup

Quote: Originally posted by Niki on 05 March 2005

Mo boyfriend bought a pug 306 GTI6 and she goes like stink, She has fab leather /suede interior and we are actually thinking of selling her
Its a known fact all 306s are boys. Mine was called Shug. Lol.

Puzzles me aswell Rich.

Considering that the S16 was nowhere near as good a car as the GTi-6, it had less power, a good 1.5 seconds slower to 60 and finding a good one is going to be pretty damn hard nowerdays, i would forget the idea of looking at these and go back to the phase 1 GTi6 (owned both a phase 1 and a phase 2 GTI-6).

Tony

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Yeah, Ive had a Phase 2 and Ive got a Phase 1 now...

Basically an S16 with the extra power and the 6-speed box, and weighs practically the same as the Rallye! ;)