ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 problem.. Help needed!!

Fiesta TDCI
Have a problem with my 4.5 year old 172 (21,000 miles, FRSH etc). Just started juddering for no reason and lost all power. RAC came out and plugged their computer in and couldn't find any problems, no warning lights etc. RAC towed it upto Renault who advised there was a £45 + Vat per half hour diagnostic fee. They called back later in the day to say that they have been on it for an hour and can't find any faults (although they agree there is something definately wrong!!) They wanted authorisation to spend another couple of hours attempting to diagnose the problem (so another couple of hundred quid). Obviously my hands are tied as it needs to be fixed. Any thoughts or anyone had similar problems??

Thanks.

cock mobile.
Did the RAC bloke check the HT leads and plugs etc?

Could be something simple like that.

Fiesta TDCI
I can't believe that the RAC and Renault could both miss something that basic, saying that it is Renault!! lol

Fiesta TDCI
Ha ha that is the question, it's still at Renaults now and the £££ clock is ticking!!! Will keep you updated. Can just imagine the Renault Tech scratching his head over a cup of tea and fag laughing that's another £45 for half hour!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Fiesta TDCI
Lol to the banana, I actually suggested that this morning to the guys at work.

16V jon, that sounds like a fair comment but shouldn't Renault be able to diagnose something like that pretty easily?? Is that expensive?

Cupra 300 ST 4drive
I had a similar problem to that on my previous 172, the plug feeding the coil pack ,one of the cables had worked itself loose, car shuddered and cut out on the outside lane of M4. got it towed to renault who fitted new plug. the plug looked fine until you actually pulled on each cable . hope this helps

Fiesta TDCI
Thanks gtvlew that sounds pretty similar to what mine is doing, no surprises but still no news from Renault. Hopefully it is as simple as a new plug as this will keep the £££ down. I do hate chucking money at the Renault monkeys!!

cock mobile.
Stokesey said:
I can't believe that the RAC and Renault could both miss something that basic, saying that it is Renault!! lol

I had my old old car went into FIAT three times and they said, oh no it's fine even though I knew it wasn't.

I changed the spark plugs got some result but still not right, called out the RAC at work one day he diagnosed it as the HT leads within 1 minute.

That's why I mentioned it, dealerships just plug it into a computer, and if it doesn't come up with a magic answer they're fooked.

Fiesta TDCI
Renault have diagnosed the problem as the Fuel Sender unit (fuel pump), £409 to supply and fit (£585 in total with there diagnostic charge) are they takin the pi$$ or is this reasonable. Are there any after market suppliers that would do the same item at a fraction of the price?

Thanks.