ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 purchase

Clio Sport 172
Hi all,

I am new to the clio sport website and am after some info on the 172's....

Over the last 18 months I have sold my 182 which I ABSOLUTELY LOVED :) due to the fact that my girlfriend was pregnant and I needed to buy a house........

Anyway, I am now looking over the next 3-4 weeks to buy a 172 :) ,can anyone give me info on the good and bad sides/areas of the 172's and what to look for whilst purchasing a 172?

My budget will only let me buy a 172 and not a 182...

182trophy & Williams
Welcome to CS chap.Cant really help you there, but I'm sure there will be a 172 owner along soon enough

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
You don't wanna know the trouble i've had with mine, but it's running sweet as a peach now :)

Clio Sport 172
What kind of probs did you have....just for me to be aware....:)

I only had my 182 for about 3 months and it was in the garage having the brake switch replaced....under warranty tho....:)no problems after that....
:)

I do remember that when i was sitting in the car whilst it was idling, it seemed to be shaking the car as it was idling,the revs would stay the same but slight shaking through the car, I just put it down to the engine power:D ?????

mk3 golf gti
i got my 172 in july, since then replaced coil pack, throttle position sensor, throttle body, new set of tyres, front suspension top mounts, spark plugs, inlet manifold flushed, other than that not a problem! sounds bad but it wasn't really, just make sure it has full service history and belts done at the right times, even with the problems i've had i'd do it again, great cars to drive, just need to be looked after. hope your not put off!

Welcome2.gif

Clio Sport 172
Can anyone tell me when the cam belt is to be changed on the 172's, so I know what to look for when buying a 172?

Clio Sport 172
Apart from the twin rear exhausts and the alloys, what are the other differences between the 172 and the 182?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
None pretty much, 172s have a spare alloys to :) 182 has different manifold to give it the 10bhp more.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Some 172s have cruise control, later ones 03 onward i think, all have trip computer, but i guess you mean MPG info etc.

Clio Sport 172
I know all cars have their problems:) , but I hear that Reanults suffer with their electronics....is this true?

Clio Sport 172
MG's suffer with head gaskets, thats the well known bad point with mg/rover......

Do renaults in particular suffer with electrics?
Are they known to suffer with them?

If not what are their weakness's?

www.renparts.co.uk
no problems with the electrics really. Bit of a myth that came from earlier Renaults. Sometimes probems with resistor pack in heater but its a 5 min job to change and theyre not too expensive second hand.

Suzuki Swift Sport
I have a 2002/52 plate, with 25 k miles on - had cambelt done, aux belt, new discs and pads, new tyres (t1r proxes) all round and new wheels team dynamics pro race 1.2 wheels. Also had a new battery last week would sell it for £5750

:)

Clio Sport 172
Sounds good thanks for the offer....but my budget will only let me go to around £4800......I been looking on the autotrader and there is a few on there with around 50000+ on the clock....

Just have to sell my car now and then start viewing 172's.........:) :)