ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 track car

172 + derv 206
i'm bored so gonna start my project thread.

bought the car with a snapped timing belt, with the intention of having a cheap track car.
unfortunately i kept seeing shiny bits i liked so i have kinda blown the budget. few shots of the car before i took the engine out.
SDC11370.jpg

Last edited:
  172 + derv 206
SDC11530.jpg
ported and polished head valves lapped in ready

SDC11531.jpg
tarmac spec rally tyres:cry: should be ideal on the track
SDC11532.jpg
jenveys - need to sort the end trumpet as they were fitted to an a/c car

SDC11533.jpg
piper cams fast road spec

SDC11534.jpg
only part to be fitted - omp wrc style steering wheel

SDC11535.jpg
gaz coilovers awaiting fitment!

SDC11536.jpg
omp bolt in roll cage awaiting fitment

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
No mean to cause offence, but there's a lot of cash been thrown at that. And then I see Gaz coilovers?

172 + derv 206
Gaz coilovers arent the best for track, need to get KW, H&r, AST etc for best handling!

Tbh I have had them on various other cars road and track and can't fault them. I did see a few people on here didn't like them or thought they were no good and tbh I reckon they probably just didn't set them up right.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Same as any forum really one person has an opinion says its s**t and the flock follow as above I found them fine on other cars I have owned so change???
Not at all, there are a few on here that have driven/fitted pretty much every setup going. Never heard a positive word said about them. End of the day, if they were decent they'd sell a lot more. They are the cheapest adjustable damping setup around I think?
Beauty of these forums is the advice available. Hope they go alright for you.

172 + derv 206
Not at all, there are a few on here that have driven/fitted pretty much every setup going. Never heard a positive word said about them. End of the day, if they were decent they'd sell a lot more. They are the cheapest adjustable damping setup around I think?
Beauty of these forums is the advice available. Hope they go alright for you.

i have seen mixed opinions but as with everything, there is tyres, bush condition, other mods to consider, which i has never seen posted up. most people dont have £1000 to spend on suspension, so i can see why they dont sell a lot of kits. like with everything its down to opinion, and on a forum if your post count isn't high, it doesn't mean anything.

Cup Turbo, Flamer
I've got GAZ on my cup, only problem i've ever had is that the rear springs were shot after only about a year. They are harsh on normal roads, get them on a track and they're fine. Only thing i've heard people moan about is, they fit them to road cars and moan they are too crashy!!

Good project BTW, I'll keep checking back

TrackCar & F30 330d
Ooooo lots of nice goodies you have there :)

So are you building your own engine or just getting all the part and then getting someone else to build it?

Also do you know where to get a new Trumpet for the ITB's? I could do with one too :)

Black Clio GT
i think d tweeks sell just trumpets, not cheap though!!

nice little project you have got there, look forward to seening it all go back together!!

172 + derv 206
i think d tweeks sell just trumpets, not cheap though!!

nice little project you have got there, look forward to seening it all go back together!!

engine and gearbox are back together so hopefully some progress will be made soon

I've got GAZ on my cup, only problem i've ever had is that the rear springs were shot after only about a year. They are harsh on normal roads, get them on a track and they're fine. Only thing i've heard people moan about is, they fit them to road cars and moan they are too crashy!!

Good project BTW, I'll keep checking back

cheers mate
Ooooo lots of nice goodies you have there :)

So are you building your own engine or just getting all the part and then getting someone else to build it?

Also do you know where to get a new Trumpet for the ITB's? I could do with one too :)

building it myself. mechanic by trade so pointless paying some else to do it.

wonder why m tech cut the trumpets , as my car didnt have air con on it , had cup setup and all air con bits were stripped from the engine bay ?? looks like you got some nice bits there ,

172 + derv 206
wonder why m tech cut the trumpets , as my car didnt have air con on it , had cup setup and all air con bits were stripped from the engine bay ?? looks like you got some nice bits there ,

its bent round. no idea why but will probably have a filter so i not too worried about it. im surprized you even had brakes tbh as the brake servo take off point is on the wrong side facing into the alternator bracket. unless they ran a modified pipe, they couldnt be fitted properly.

TrackCar & F30 330d
its bent round. no idea why but will probably have a filter so i not too worried about it. im surprized you even had brakes tbh as the brake servo take off point is on the wrong side facing into the alternator bracket. unless they ran a modified pipe, they couldnt be fitted properly.

Yeah you can modify that pipe to go the other way. The brake servo pipe runs to the rear left hand side of the engine behind it so you can just cut a big chunk off the pipw and run the pipe on teh ITB's left instead of right.

Laxy on here did that and i will at some point