ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 turning over but wont start

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
The ring is around the ignition barrel, so when the key goes in this ring picks up the signal and tells ECU to go ahead with starting basicly,

Remove the covers were your steering wheel is and you will see a black ring, un-plug and remove, put your mates one in.

Then start her up :)

no problem fella, i had trouble myself a while back, but Cs helped me :)

Golf GT TDI
will try that but wont be until next week now. so will see if the reader picks up anything because hes getting that on sat.

yeh loads of help here. top site;)

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Ye it is possible its the cause of your problem.

The ring is just there to pick up a signal from the key, as soon it gets the signal that tells the Ecu to fire the engine up. Its part of the security for the clio,

Decoder ring isnt programmed to any car, its just there to pick up a signal, you can put a 1.2 one on a 2L if you want it will still pick it up.

corsa 2 litre 8 v
Have you checked the wiring, i know they have a problem with the wiring rubbing on top of the gear box's and will get water ingress normally a red wire...with your 3 brown relays its the bottom one. thats the relay that will talk to the injection computer, i think the other one is the fan relay....but also check underneath it because they have a habbit of getting water ingress and relays going green. hope thats some help

Megane dci 130
Theres no point in changing the decoder ring, the imobiliser light will be flashing signalling that no code it being picked up from the key.

The TDC sensor if its a-a and b-b is wired right.

The imobiliser light defo comes on and goes out?

Try swapping the injection locking relay (small brown relay on right of the 3) with the middle one (fan relay). These relays are not the most reliable.

If its not any of that, id surgest you have a wiring fault.

Renaultsport
ive been helping jord with this so ill answer this^^^

the immobiliser is going out so its not that.

we swapped the little brown relay on the right, only thing is we swapped the one on the right with the one on the far left. shall we try it again with the middle one?

if it is a wiring fault would the fault code reader pick this up?

thanks for the help

Megane dci 130
Swap the relays around in another order, they are the same relay after all, your not going to damage anything.

In most cases it wont but you might find you wont be able to communicate with the injection computer surgesting its not being powered up.

The fuel pump is defo priming?

Not being funny but the timing belt hasnt snapped?

Is the timing right?

Golf GT TDI
Swap the relays around in another order, they are the same relay after all, your not going to damage anything.

In most cases it wont but you might find you wont be able to communicate with the injection computer surgesting its not being powered up.

The fuel pump is defo priming?

Not being funny but the timing belt hasnt snapped?

Is the timing right?

will try swaping the middle one and lef hand one in a moment

think the fuel pump is priming cant hear it very well though

dont think the belt would have snapped. i had it changed in oct 2008 along with the aux belt.

the aux belt is fine. all sounds normal whilst turning over no strange noises.

if no joy this weekend its off to the dealer on monday

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
From what iv been told the fuel pump wont prime all the time. If theres enough pressure in the fuel lines to pump the fuel up then it wont come on but when you keep trying & trying to start then it will lose pressure and will then prime.

Im saying Decoder ring and sticking with that for now, until tested then we can work out the problem

Il post one out for you if you want so you could test as i have 1 spare just incase. and if that works you can buy it off me ;) haha

Golf GT TDI
my battery started to go flat tonight.

could it be a f**ked battery?

like one of the cells has broken down. it is the original renault battery dated 28/11/2003

but then again i tried jump starting it off pauls dturbo and it didnt work

::: scrap that just remembered i tried my mates battery :::

172 16v
a mate of mine had this similar problem it turned out that it was summets to do with his immobiliser so a guy who knows alot about clio told him to put his key in ignition turn it so all lights come on then hold ya button on ya key turn it all the way back while still holding button then try starting it again with the button held in still and it worked it bypasses the immobiliser or summets, he sed that the red little light that flashes still works as normal so he dunt know how it works but it does lol give it a try might work might not hope this helps

Last edited:
  Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
my battery started to go flat tonight.

could it be a f**ked battery?

like one of the cells has broken down. it is the original renault battery dated 28/11/2003

but then again i tried jump starting it off pauls dturbo and it didnt work

::: scrap that just remembered i tried my mates battery :::

might aswell get a new battery, its lasted 7years so its had a good run,

dont kno about this bypass immob stuff tbh, doubt it will work but worth a try

Golf GT TDI
UPDATE

right after trying a few things today with pauly wallnuts

we have noticed that the fuel pump does NOT prime!

on pauls we lifted seats up and you can hear it buzz for about 2 seconds once the ignition is turned two clicks

on mine when you turn the key two clicks you dont hear a thing. no buzzing or anything no matter how many times you turn the key.

could this be fuel pump or just a relay?

thanks

Megane dci 130
Check to see if you get a 12v pulse at the pump. There will be 2 fat wires which are the fuel pump live and earth.

If you have, then pump
If you have not, theres a wireing fault.
One other thing to check is the white connector in the same fuse box. This carrys the feed to the fuel pump so its a good place to start.

Golf GT TDI
Check to see if you get a 12v pulse at the pump. There will be 2 fat wires which are the fuel pump live and earth.

If you have, then pump
If you have not, theres a wireing fault.
One other thing to check is the white connector in the same fuse box. This carrys the feed to the fuel pump so its a good place to start.

thanks bud. will check that in a bit. is there a relay or fuse for it?

is that the big white connector at the bottom of the fuse box in the engine bay?

Megane dci 130
thanks bud. will check that in a bit. is there a relay or fuse for it?

is that the big white connector at the bottom of the fuse box in the engine bay?

To be quite honist I cant remember how the system works off hand but there will be a fuse and relay but the system incorporates an injection locking relay aswell. But I think this only powers up various sensors. The Fuel pump relay also supplys the ignition coil iirc.

Alot of renaults suffer from water ingress in that white connector. Pull it apart and check for green connections, water or even pins broken. Check the wires where they go in and out of the connector too.

If you were a little closer I would come down and take a look for myself!

Golf GT TDI
To be quite honist I cant remember how the system works off hand but there will be a fuse and relay but the system incorporates an injection locking relay aswell. But I think this only powers up various sensors. The Fuel pump relay also supplys the ignition coil iirc.

Alot of renaults suffer from water ingress in that white connector. Pull it apart and check for green connections, water or even pins broken. Check the wires where they go in and out of the connector too.

If you were a little closer I would come down and take a look for myself!

thats ok mate. really appreciate the help you have given me. thank you

will check after tea.;)

Megane dci 130
Give it a wack with a hammer. :p

Yeah if you have 12v and its not priming, its the pump.

Might be worth putting your own 12v to the pump also, see if it runs.

Golf GT TDI
Give it a wack with a hammer. :p

Yeah if you have 12v and its not priming, its the pump.

Might be worth putting your own 12v to the pump also, see if it runs.

removed it tonight took it apart cleaned it all up gave it a little bash with a rubber hammer put it back together re fitted and still didnt prime so hopefully got one off chris on here breaking his cup

i tested the suply to the pump with a headlight bulb on two bits of wire and it lit up nice and bright so there is a good strong suply to it.

corsa 2 litre 8 v
If im honest, i think its time you did a compression test..even though the engine is turning over. The cam belt still might have slipped, ive seen a couple on 182's that have done this, another one come into my work today non start engine turning over. got rpm speed you could just tell its mechanical. did a compression test cyl 1 and 2 stupidly low down on compression 3 and 4 had non at all.

Megane dci 130
Urr, so you dont think its nothing to do with the fuel pump not priming when you get a 12v pulse...

Golf GT TDI
If im honest, i think its time you did a compression test..even though the engine is turning over. The cam belt still might have slipped, ive seen a couple on 182's that have done this, another one come into my work today non start engine turning over. got rpm speed you could just tell its mechanical. did a compression test cyl 1 and 2 stupidly low down on compression 3 and 4 had non at all.

had belts done mate, fuel pump is not priming.

and if it had surely i would hear valves rattling round etc

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
you can test the fuel pump jordan,

f0xy once told me that run a live from the battery to the fuel pump and then a earth and see if it primes like that, if it does prime its not the fuel pump, worth a try?

Golf GT TDI
you can test the fuel pump jordan,

f0xy once told me that run a live from the battery to the fuel pump and then a earth and see if it primes like that, if it does prime its not the fuel pump, worth a try?

yeh bought a new one off chrissy on here so hopefully that should be with me tomorrow or sat

but might try that later anyway but like i said got a good strong current to it so hoping its the pump packed in

Golf GT TDI
Ahh right, il keep a eye out on this thread then, as mine's decided to play up now ffs,

oh no.... f**king renault:mad:

yeh will keep it updated, plus other people might be having the same kind of problems

the pump is not primeing for sure so it cant be much else..... i hope:(

luckily paul has been comming down so we can rule things out and you can really hear his but mine is flat out dead:dead:

260% JCW
Same here, ive tryed loads of things though and given up. Got the AA to tow it to Renault at let them sort it. Il let you know what they say.

Golf GT TDI
ITS FIXED!!!!
it was the fuel pump in the end:mad:

ended up buying one off chrissyp on here. it got to me pretty much next day (thanks chris)

whiped the old one out put the new one in and it fired first time:cool:

took it out for an hour and it didnt miss a beat, well happy:D

thanks to

sbv116
shepperdspie
jay low
paul ly-182

and everyone else that took time to offer advise;)

owe you all a beer:cheers:

thanks again guys​

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Excellent news jordan :)

You can keep the beer i dont drink, but you can tell me how much you payed for the pump tho, so i could try that on mine,