ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 vs Cooper S

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
on going argument lol, personally in my supercharged cooper s i've found i have the slight edge on 172's
but on the otherhand everyone with a 172 says they win easyly..

who knows! will have to stage a race somewhere and prove it once and for all lol

Monaco 37/468
Hehe, well the 0-60 time on a 172 is slightly quicker than the 172, which is what I would assume would be the winner of the two...

RS 172
Even in the 172 has a very slight edge, I know I'd rather be in the Mini's cockpit :D. Also, I would assume being charged it wouldnt take much tuning to have it shifting very well indeed.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
my friends wife has a cooper s....mint condition.
I have a 182 cup.
Both went onto the motorway a few weeks back....2 up.
And I could not get rid of him.....upto xxx mph.
they are bloody quick for a 1.6

Monaco 37/468
When it comes down to BHP per tonne the clio wins hands down. The mini has 143 BHP per tonne to the Clio's 167 per tonne, and as for torque...The Mini is more torquey, but it's much higher up the rev range (peaks about 5400 RPM to the Clio's 2500)....

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Neck and neck easily. Any other outcome is down to who comes on to WOT first

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
Well i used to meet with a guy called Rhys off here, and he never blew me out of the water :S

Honda Civic Type R GT
Had a 172 Exclusive, then a Cooper S.

172 was quicker.

But IMHO my new Type R is quicker.

Honda Civic Type R GT
Just giving my opinion!
And that is that the CTR is quicker than a 172! Not by much, but just my opinion.

A

ashy_gtt

1/4 Mile ET: 15.081 1/4 Mile MPH: 94.430 1/8 Mile ET: 9.694 1/8 Mile MPH: 0.000 0-60 Foot ET: 2.422 Temperature F: 71.6 Timeslip Scan:
Car Make: Renault Car Model: Clio Car Type: 172 Car Year: 2002
1/4 Mile ET: 15.117 1/4 Mile MPH: 93.853 1/8 Mile ET: 9.911 1/8 Mile MPH: 74.034 0-60 Foot ET: 2.513 Temperature F: 0.0 Timeslip Scan:
Car Make: Mini Car Model: Cooper Car Type: Cooper S Car Year: 2002 Driver: Rich Woest

Times taken from here http://www.dragtimes.com/

Can't be much in it, if anyones wiping the floor with the other then the other simply isn't trying...

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
I must have forgot how quick my old 172 was lol

Oh wait i remember beating that GR3 RS.

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
lol shall we just agree on there both fast small cars?

Audi TT 3.2 V6
lets through the mini cooper s turbo into the equation

how does the 172/182 fair against this?

Honda Civic Type R GT
I'd still expect the 172 to be quicker! The mini is heavy, nice drive though.
Well built but that comes at a premium. £330 for 2 front tyres

lol @ the people who blew them out of the water...
It'll be a close set match... down low the clio will have an edge... up high you will only pull away very slowly...
If you blew them out of the water either they weren't trying or didnt know how to drive

182 Cup
I had the pleasure of playing with a GP the other night on my way home from Basildon (218 bhp, 1090kg version?). It was definately quicker than my 182 at the speeds we were travelling (60+) and was pulling away slowly, but I was surprised by how little there was in it. Nice rare motor though.

Audi TT 3.2 V6
yeah, i cant imagine the 172/182 standing a chance against a gp whether it be in a straigh line or round the bends.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
My brother has the super charged S and in a straight line the 172 just has the edge. Not had chance to try the twisties yet but on a country run I would say it would come down to driver skill/balls imo.:approve:

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
Cooper S for me, test drove them both before buying, and the Cooper S was a lot more fun to drive

Would have had a CTR but the insurance was a killer

Golf GiT soon tho which i'd rather have over either mini/renault

Tangoed Works
had an extended battle with a MCS, he couldnt lose me and I was having to lift of as well at times. Wasnt bothered that mine was quicker, but more chuffed that it was a fun filled tussle. We both had a excitable chat after and he commented on how quick the 182 was.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
around town a cooper S is the same speed as a 172/182 but on open roads the clio's would edge it (just)

03 Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique
lets through the mini cooper s turbo into the equation

how does the 172/182 fair against this?

As we discussed fella the other evening, a JCW Cooper S would have a 172/182/197 imo.

Standard CooperS however, I think it would be the other way around, depending on the driver, conditions etc etc...

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
which 1 would i have?

personally i'd stick with the mini, i think its a good package of speed, good lucks and a lovely interior.

not slating the 182 in anyway, my dad had one and i loved it, just wish they'd made the insides a bit more special.

Honda Civic Type R GT
I've been lucky and had all 3!

Loved the 172 for the raw power, didn't like the build quality/dealership.
Loved the Mini Cooper S, for the handling and build quality.

The Civic Type R, drinks juice like it's going out of fashion, as well as oil. There is a common problem with 3rd gear. But when that Vtec screams, I love it!

All are very good cars in my opinion!

MCS R56
I almost reduced my mate to tears when we had a wee tussle - he was in his MCS and me in my Cup. He was convinced it was the fastest car on the road but I managed to take it (not by a large margin) on all attempts. Especially from 70 onwards.

I would much rather own a Cup than any of the Mini family. The new versions look like they're wearing a bubble jacket and the GP is just a Halfords modfest. Quality machines though.