ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 vs Cup

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
its only a renault clio ladies not a lamborghini. as much as i love my car for the fun factor.

172 cup
I had the same dilemma before i bought my cup. The main reason for me was that the cup is far better looking. Granted I also had a look at a FF 172 and it was a very nice car with the better interior and extra toys, but at the end of the day if i wanted a nice comfy car with 'toys' etc then i woudnt be buying a clio.

Leon Cupra 300
The reason i'm going for a cup is 1, that i think they look better and 2, it should be cheaper to maintain, less to go wrong on it and no aircon unit to piss around with when cambelt etc needs changing. the lack of abs etc dont bother me in the slightest so for me its a cup...

Can I step in at this late stage and say I'd NEVER own a 172Cup unless it had Climate like some of the very late cars. I would always go for the most driver focused version of any car, but I dont want to barbecue my stones in the process. I'm a petrol head, but I value my nads.

172 Cup
lagerlout1 said:
It's quite considerably cheaper to make an FF look like a Cup than spec a Cup up to FF standard!! I wonder how much Renault would charge for Cruise Control, Xenons, Leather, Climate etc?

Who the f**k would want to spec a Cup up to FF standard? That's a rediculous comment. The whole point of going for the Cup is because you don't want all of that bullshit.

pecan said:
Who the f**k would want to spec a Cup up to FF standard? That's a rediculous comment. The whole point of going for the Cup is because you don't want all of that bullsh*t.

I agree with that. It's telling that some of the FF boys are trying to make their machines look like a Cup. Denial? LOL cue another 40 pages...

172 Cup
lol. I just couldn't understand his comment. If there's anyone out there who has bought a Cup, toddled off down to Renault and got priced up for Cruise Control, Xenons, Leather and Climate Control, please introduce me to him because I'd love to shake him by the hand.

Leon Cupra 300
Probably because everyone knows deep down the cup looks better... im not bothered about the aircon, never had it so wont miss it. and its just another thing to go wrong, until i can afford to buy brand new cars under warenty every 3 years ill stick to simple stuff thanks!

172 Cup
I'm happy with my CC'd Cup. For me that's the best of both worlds. The rest is just a hinderance if you ask me.

artic blue 182 Cup
kullycliosport said:
think he was joking fella................:eek: .

cup owners say cups r better

full fat owners say theirs r better .

2 many variants and points make them different .which is the best which i would agree is the best of both worlds which would be a 172 full fat cup packed monster :S

Precisely THAT is a 182 FF with cupped suspenssion (172 + 10bhp for free 'til out of stock, lol!) ... which I was about to recommend him... no turinis OE, thou:dapprove:

BTW, I own a 182CUP:eek: and I say its the best too!:rasp:

jaf78 said:
I had the same dilemma before i bought my cup. The main reason for me was that the cup is far better looking. Granted I also had a look at a FF 172 and it was a very nice car with the better interior and extra toys, but at the end of the day if i wanted a nice comfy car with 'toys' etc then i woudnt be buying a clio.

Exactly the same reason why I picked up the CUP... and, by the way... it IS cheaper to repair (xenon vs. normal headlights, Climate vs normal air-con, etc...) and maintain (weight not only important for performance, but for economy too;))

Last edited:
J

jamesy

3 cars lenghts?? there both same engine,same torque,same bhp but a slight weight difference>air con, side airbags,abs,spare wheel, seats;)

MK1 V6 Lutecia / 197
Be different and rare....get a full fat V6....you'll feel like a celebrity with all the attention and looks....you can get a phase 2 with low mileage for less than some 182/Trophys/172 Cups....

VaVa
pecan said:
Who the f**k would want to spec a Cup up to FF standard? That's a rediculous comment. The whole point of going for the Cup is because you don't want all of that bullsh*t.

No numbnuts. you've missed the point. In fact you've taken my post completely out of context. Maybe I should have put a wink at the end of it - It was said tongue in cheek. I wasn't suggesting that anyone would actually do it!!

However, if Cup owners don't want all that, how come once Climate control was made as an option on the Cup every Cup sold from then on had it fitted? As far as performance goes, there couldn't be a much worse thing than climate control!! Extra weight and robbing the engine of a few bhp when the compressors running!!

Some people went for the Cup because it was cheap. Some people went for it because of the nice wheels and nice colour....

Oh sorry I forgot, it's because all Cup owners are so hardcore.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
  172 Cup
lagerlout1 said:
However, if Cup owners don't want all that, how come once Climate control was made as an option on the Cup every Cup sold from then on had it fitted?

And where's your evidence to prove this?

lagerlout1 said:
As far as performance goes, there couldn't be a much worse thing than climate control!! Extra weight and robbing the engine of a few bhp when the compressors running!!

I hardly ever use it mate, so it's not a burden on the engine 99% of the time.

lagerlout1 said:
Oh sorry I forgot, it's because all Cup owners are so hardcore.... :rolleyes:

You better believe it. :p