ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 vs Cupra

Clio 200 Cup

Hello people, I am new on here :), just after a few opinions really. I currently drive a Punto HGT but it is going soon for either a Mk1 172, or a Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.8T. Natrually, I want something that is going to be quicker. I have run a 15.4 second quarter mile in the HGT and am looking for something thats going to be roughly around the high 14s mark. I know in standard form the 172 would d1ck all over the cupra, but with a simple remap the cupra could produce anything upwards of 195bhp. Equally important to me is the handling. All the HGT wants to do is understeer understeer then understeer some more. From the reviews ive read on the mk1, I gather it is possible to adjust the angle of the car mid corner, with the throttle, fairly easily. Have you guys found this to be the case? The way I see it, the Cupra is the sensible choice - great interior, VW build quality, smooth torquey engine, etc... whereas the 172 seems to be more of a drivers car....a bit more fun. It is fun im after so the mk1 looks like the one (rather than the mk2 as ive heard its lost some of the pace and pinpoint handling of the mk1) but as i say, id be interested to hear anyones opinions.

Cheers,

Steve

Vee dub

I know of someone who has roughly 325bhp from a cupra. :eek:

But as you say, with a re-map, the potential is big.

Love the mk1 172 though...... tis a tough one!

Tom

Id look at a Mk2 personally as I prefere the looks

The Mk1 is lighter than the Mk2 though but it is the same sort of weight as the Cup but it has the toys.

Personally Id get coilovers for a Mk2.

Clio 200 Cup

Quote: Originally posted by TomS on 21 December 2004

I know of someone who has roughly 325bhp from a cupra. :eek:
Yeah, I am a member of Seat Cupra Net, and there are a few people on their who have had the IHI turbo conversion, giving approximately 360bhp!!! Ive seen videos of it too. Immense wheelspin in 4th gear. Thats their problem though, getting the power down without murdering the front tyres. Still, crazy in gear acceleration

If its quarter mile times your after it would have to be the Cupra?
But on the twisties....who knows?

Try a search, there was a discussion on this I believe?

LY 200

Personally it would be Cupra all the way if i could go the little bit extra moneywise!!!

Astra 1.9cdti XP

I had a similar choice about 4 months ago. Drove both and in the end the MPG of the cupra put me off...one good thing about the 172 is its surprisingly good on fuel which in the end was the winner for me. I have had both a MK2 and now a MK1 and the MK1 is the better drivers car.

get a mkII put coilovers on or a least springs. and reep 35-40mpg and top quality handling. the 172 looks better and has more kudos in my mind anyways.

also i know the MKII 172 isnt a well built as a ibiza cupra but i prefer the interior design of the 172 more... err chic.

Clio 200 Cup

Yeah I know what you mean about the mpg of the cupra. My mate had a jabbad one running about 200bhp, and mid 20s mpg was the result if you wanted to have a quick play! My mate averaged 19 over 150 miles once. The weight and the turbo just make it drink fuel. Had a go in my mates mk2 172 last night and found it almost VTEC like how the power just came in at 5,000rpm when it came on cam. Does the mk1 have such a distinct kick? Also, we had a couple of little straight line 2nd and 3rd gear test with my HGT, and there was literally nothing in it. I was hoping he would kill me so it would make me want one even more! At the end of the day the cupra would be nice, but they cost that extra £1000 or so to buy in the first place, coupled with the extremely high fuel costs once it is putting out decent power and in standard form, they handle like a boat.

My Williams was making 27mpg town only driving and 45mpg on a long journey - My current Turbo makes about 20mpg around town and 35mpg on a long journey. The difference is quite amazing.

Quote: Originally posted by stevoversteer on 21 December 2004

Does the mk1 have such a distinct kick?
The Mk 1 and Mk2 engine are almost the same. The Mk1 has a longer ratio box but the kick is the same.

Quote: Originally posted by stevoversteer on 21 December 2004

Is the pace difference between the mk1 and mk2 really evident? Reading EVOs review they seem to think it is
Nope wont be much but the Mk2 has the disadvantage of the extra weight working aginst it.