ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 won't start - making strange noises from engine bay. Help!!!

Over the last couple of days whenever I start the 172 (mk2, 2001) from cold, there has been a strange creaking noise coming from the drivers side dash air vent. It disappears after a couple of seconds of the engine running. When I tried to start the car this morning, it wouldn't go on the first attempt. Second try went okay.

I've just been out to start the car again, and now it will not start at all. When I turn the key all the way, I don't even hear the starter motor. There is a 'click' and a really odd sounding high pitch whine that appears to be coming from somewhere deep in the engine bay. The key then stays where I turned it to instead of springing back as it usually does. The instrument panel also goes a bit mad with lights going on and off and the needles vibrate a bit. If I try turning the key again, I just get more clicking and whining.

I've checked the immobiliser light, and it does go out, and the battery seems okay as I can turn the lights on and use the radio. Any ideas before I resign myself to my local dealership?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
mine wouldnt start and the needles were vibrating ( MK2 PH2 1.2 16V) when a fuse went in the fuse box, but i lost all my electrics (wipers, windows, central locking, head unit) changed the fuse and it fired up (think it was the imobiliser fuse)

also might be your starter motor sticking, get someone to turn the key and tap the starter motor with a spanner or hammer and see if it works, my mates corsa did this.

Tesla MP3 2021
still could be a dodgy battery tho mate.
the noise could be the solinoide.

my mums car wouldnt start the other day....but the soft biatch drained the battery with the heaters running just on the ignition....lol

I've got an MP4 vid from my mobile phone which shows the dash and the noises it's making when trying to start it. I don't think i've got any hosting to put it up, but if anyone else does let me know and I'll email it over.

Could it really be just the battery if the lights and radio work without the engine running?

battery might have a bit of powe rto do headlights etc but not enough to turn a massive starter motor that has a huge load of the fly wheel and engine compression on it!

my mate had a sticky starter motor and it wouldnt start (306 turbo diesel)

so i just grabbed a jump lead, put it on the positive terminl then touched the positiive of the starter motor with it

it turned over a couple of times, tried it with ignition and it started up straight away.

Tesla MP3 2021
yep as above.....u will be able to use lights, radio etc but you need alot more amps to actually turn the starter motor over.....

Okay, worth a look then. I've got another car, so I'll go and see if the little Lupo will jump start the Clio!

Sorted!

Thanks guys :D You were spot on - battery dead. Just started 1st time with jump leads. Got a feeling that it's the original battery so I'll be getting a new one in tomorrow. Thanks again to everyone who replied :D :D