ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 - 12k service question

Lee

BMW M2C

Apparently my front pads are 40% worn so they have noted Ill need to book it in to get them done. Obviously thats not going to happen as they have 60% meat left on them!!

Do they not check the rears as as there is no wear given? They have been grinding a bit lately so was hoping they would check them out?

They def checked the rears on my 24k service and they def checked Richs on his 12k so Im guessing it should be the same for the 182.

(the dealer that did my 12k service didnt give me the check sheet - b******s)

CLIO

they do or should check them on your 12k service as they found mine had crumbled and only half the pad was left on the rear right side

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by JPW172 on 02 February 2005
they do or should check them on your 12k service as they found mine had crumbled and only half the pad was left on the rear right side

yep mine were checked and although the wear was no more than 30% all round the front ones had to be replaced and they were starting to crumble at the edges and had cracks in them.

So Lee, even though they may only be 40% worn they may need replacing due to damage from track days (spa, ring etc werent easy on them) so mine were changed at 12k service.

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 02 February 2005

yep mine were checked and although the wear was no more than 30% all round the front ones had to be replaced and they were starting to crumble at the edges and had cracks in them.

So Lee, even though they may only be 40% worn they may need replacing due to damage from track days (spa, ring etc werent easy on them) so mine were changed at 12k service.

as they crumbled are they covered under warranty, im guessing not

Does the service light come on before it needs a service on the 182. Mine is reaching the big 12000 and i recon that the light will hack me off...

i have never seen any lights come on when you need a service, it only comes on when you go around a corner, or go up a hill :p

dk

911 GTS Cab

no it doesnt but to keep your warranty you will have to get it done within a certain amount of miles though, theres a window and if you dont get it done your warranty is no longer valid.

Cheers for the tip about the warranty, its on about 11300 and is book in for a week saturday so it should be ok.

I had the service light issue with my 172 MK1, was very annoying. When you hit a massive bump or went around a corner the connection under the passengers seat would come lose...hense the light

CLIO

i was told you have about 1500 miles over the stated milage for a service by renault..cheers james

i was told you have about 1500 miles over the stated milage for a service by renault..cheers james

I recon its unlikely to be a smuch as that................more like 500/800 miles :D

Cya Stu

Silver Fabia vRS

Mine were all apparently 50% worn at my 12k service, dont really believe that though. Im guessing all they do is look at them and guess!

Quote: Originally posted by stusV6 on 02 February 2005

I recon its unlikely to be a smuch as that................more like 500/800 miles :D
The allowance is 1000 miles. any more and you start to have to pay a % of warently claim prices but it will depend on what the claim is for.

My pads were 80% worn at 18k and then replaced at about 19k. At the 36k service they were 90%+ worn (ooops).

How you 2.0 liter owners get such good brake life is amazing.

R

rich[182]

How much do renault dealers charge for supplying and fitting new front discs and pads on a mk2 172 or 182
anyone had it done recently ?
how many miles should i get out of the rears
ps im on 16.5k now and reckon fronts need doing soon

Clio 197

How you 2.0 liter owners get such good brake life is amazing.
Something Ive noticed, since being back in the Clio, is that overrun really slows the car down nicely... the engine lends itself to this well.

As far as the service is concerned, all four brakes should be checked, as everyone else has already said...

PS Did they put 5W40 in, as they should have done?

(I have two service sheets, one for each my 182 and 225 both stating 10W40.... grrrrrr!)

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by rich172 on 02 February 2005
How much do renault dealers charge for supplying and fitting new front discs and pads on a mk2 172 or 182

not sure on discs but i was charged about £95 for fitting and supplying front pads

Shhh

Take it too national tyres for a Free Brake inspection...and drive away laughing...

I just had me clocks changed, now me mileage has reset from 12k back too 6miles, so therefore i should have 12k of non renault services then..? The work was done by renault, and they forgot to put me mileage back on..thats if they can.?

Ziel Nurburgring

Too many track days Jon, or your driving it properly! ;)

Didnt say anything on my 12K, i presume they werent that bad. Or im not driving it properly:cry:

Quote: Originally posted by rich172 on 02 February 2005

Renault will want a fortune they charge about 0.6 hrs for changing the pads and at £65 a hour thats £39 for something you can do yourself for free with cheaper parts from Halfords etc. for half the Renault list price.

New pads disks are £70 or so I think which is less than Renault would want for fitment of pads alone probably.

Rear disk and pads should last ages the rear brakes do very little plus. Dont justr change them because they dont have much material as there like that form new theres ony a few MM wear on them normally.