ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 8th original exhaust, losing will to live!

Titanium 182
Hi

I'm on my 8th exhaust (or parts of) on my 05 182. The thing rattles like mad when idling, sounds like a Matiz when I accelerate and basically doesn't sound like a 180+ bhp clio should sound.

Renault CS have been very good, chucked in a 24k service for free due to the massive amount of problems but it keeps occuring. Renault seems to replace bits at times, the last 2 times the've tightened it up and covered the joints in tape and clamps (mmm nice), this last 50 miles or so then it's back to pants exhaust sound.

What's the options now / possible causes? I know buying a decent exhaust is one but why should I have to? the 182 standard exhaust should surely do it's job?

Thanks
Neil

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
^^^^ Why should he go for an aftermarket system when it should be put right under the warranty .

Insist they replace the whole system because obviously bodging the repairs isn't working , its obviously not fit for purpose.

Then if you get a complete replacement exhaust , sell it on ebay and go for an aftermarket one , lol ;)

vx220
If they cant resolve it, ask them to put money up for an after market exhaust system! Tell them that only a BTB or Orbisoud will do! ;)

Megane225FF
possible cause is Renault use cheap n' nasty materials for their exhaust's.. they last 3 years max. by reading the reports on here..

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
^^^^ Thats if your lucky , lol . My exhaust on my old 172 lasted just over 2 years then dropped to bits .

182cup
Its because they hold so much water, I have made cars use there wipers when giving it some which I do all the time to clear the water, 05 plate on original exhaust but mpg is suffering with aircon on 24.4 mpg

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
spike said:
go see charlie at prospeed mate :cool: problem over.......

^^^^ And a few hundred sheets lighter . Like i said before , insist they replace the whole system . Get back onto Ren Customer services and tell them you want it sorting out with a full , new exhaust , don't let them fob you off mate , keep ringing until they are fed up with your voice . Then if you decide to got for an aftermarket exhaust and recoup some of the cost by selling the exhaust renault fit as a replacement .

Whats the point of having a warranty on a car if all that people can suggest is to splash out extra cash on aftermarket replacements ???

Monaco Blue Mk2
Yep, get a complete new system under warrenty, go down to prospeed, get Charlie to knock you up a full custom stainless system, sell the new OEM one on here or ebay.

MRBILLYUK said:
Insist they replace the whole system because obviously bodging the repairs isn't working , its obviously not fit for purpose.

Then if you get a complete replacement exhaust , sell it on ebay and go for an aftermarket one , lol ;)

Brilliant plan! Surely with all these duff 182 exhausts on cars I'm sure he'd have no problems selling it on Ebay ;)

2-3 years lifespan for a 172 exhaust? That's not encouraging me (2yrs, 3mnths and counting...).

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Better start listenin' for the back box banging on the ground Ally , lol ;)

Leon Cupra R 225
Aftermarket dude stop wasting time and effort heading to Reno!

Pro speed surely your best bet they're mint

had a 172 phase 1, failed the mot on the first one. exhaust blowing from the manifold.
nice new magnex fitted..... since sold and a shiny blue 182 for me now. im gonna start saving me thinks for inevitable......

lol....

Citroen DS3 DSport
thedoc said:
possible cause is Renault use cheap n' nasty materials for their exhaust's.. they last 3 years max. by reading the reports on here..

36k miles and 3 years on my 172 then a clunk could be heard as it hit the ground :D

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Some people on here are as thick as sh*t ! Why the fcuk should he spend good money on an aftermarket exhaust when he has a Renault warranty ???

If you took the time to read the original post you would see he wanted advice on the problem , not what aftermarket exhaust to buy .

Its people like this that go through life getting fobbed off with second best because they are too soft to complain for something that they rightfully have a good reason to complain about . If you have a warranty USE IT . These people would be the first to complain if they bought something that didn't come with a warranty . Its your right when you buy something that it is useable and fit for the purpose that it was made for .

Obviously some people have more money than sense , then again , that wouldn't need to be great amount of money !! :rasp:

You have my sympathy.

12 visits and 4 replacements later, i bit the bullet and got a hayward and scott. best thing i did. the car has transformed. sounds like its got 182 too.

After seeing what was replacing it, i laughed when they asked if i wanted to take my old one away with me.

Dust off the Visa card n go shopping!