ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Air Filter and/or Drilling?

Clio 182
Hi guys just a question as this whole drilling airboxes thing is a little lost on me, does it make a lot of difference or shall i just go out and buy a sport air filter? or do i do both? i dont like the idea of taking a powertool to my car! up to now i have not added any mods to my motor at all.
Also on a totally different note, later in there year i am thinking of attending the 1/4mile at north weald, anyone else going? it is the 20th of may i believe.
be nice to meet up with other like minded Clio owners.

Megane 2 GT 165
What is you intention for drilling the airbox? Sound? Performance?

I would use a panel-filter (K&N/ITG/Green) and uprate the air-feed.

For sound just pull off the standard air-feed on the right of the airbox (near the battery).

Drilling only makes you airbox suck in more air (hot air) and producing more sound instead of performance.

Hope this helps.

Felix

Clio 182
Thats awsome Mr Felix, Thank you very much! i was looking to make it sound a bit more throaty and hopefully a boost in power.
Thanks Again!!

Megane 2 GT 165
MR Felix :) who's that ?? :p

Anyway when cold weather disconnecting the hose on the right side of the box doesn't make any difference for heat soak I think (while driving)

In summer I would use an upgraded air feed

Just Felix

Megane 2 GT 165
I got that one! It's nice yeah you don't have to replace it, but have to clean it every once in a while.

With that in the airbox and the side-feed disconnected you get more then enough sound when flooring it.

Mr Felix!! :rasp:

felix-the-cat-9348.jpg

In all seriousness I would pick cotton over foam any day of the week! OR just stick with paper you really wont notice a difference!

Clio 182
Ok, i have reached a desicion on my air filter conundrum, as it is reasonably priced and i have heard good reports on it i am going for a PiperCross induction kit. Should hopefully make a difference. i will order it soon and do a before and after photo to post on here,and leave some feedback on what i think, never know it could be useful for someone.Thanks for all your help and advice guys. after this who knows where it could lead, DeCat pipes, new exhaust systems, Chipping!! lol

Clio 182
Yeah i am aware of that, i am duious that even the Viper kits give that much noticable power gain, just out of curiousity what Mods have you put on your 182 mattjk?

not a great deal dont consider it cost effiecient

eibach sportlines
cotton panel filter
decat
brakes

Going to have a go at porting my inlet soon too (only as I have a spare now) + PTFE gaskets

Clio 182
I must agree with mods not being cost efficient, it easy to just waste cash, i am having second thoughts now, i rang a local motormania and they just added another £10 as they have to 'pay to have it delivered in', fair enough but they could state that on their site. taking the price from £73+vat to £98.99. Think i will be a little more conservative, thanks for your comments mattjk, you saved me a load of cash.

RS RIP
Stick a uprated panelfilter in your OE filterhousing and save your money for :

-Next mod for you should be exhaust, and then when you map it you will be very happy the coming time.

Renault sportengine design is such that it's almost at its best already, airintake design aswell..

No problem glad to see it helps even a little

As franx says the engines are very tuned already so sqeezing more bhp out of them isnt easy without major engine work!!

Megane 2 GT 165
Another tip is to pick up a Ph1 172 airbox (at the breakers) and buy a decent filter for that.

Heard that airbox is a bit better then the Ph2 or 182 box.

(at the moment I buying one for 20 euro's (I guess about 15pounds), but still need the filter and pick up the airbox)

Another tip is to pick up a Ph1 172 airbox (at the breakers) and buy a decent filter for that.

Heard that airbox is a bit better then the Ph2 or 182 box.

(at the moment I buying one for 20 euro's (I guess about 15pounds), but still need the filter and pick up the airbox)

Hmm they say its better but im skeptical to be honest! I bet you wouldnt notice a difference!!

Bit like using 98 Ron ;)

Megane 2 GT 165
Well maybe not noticable, but I think the theory might be good. I also think the Ph1 filter has a large filter-area.

The flow area into the box isn't much smaller then the Cupracer (Espace V6) airbox, which is round 100mm. ( I think it is still a bit bigger then the Ph2 / 182 airboxes)

Well maybe not noticable, but I think the theory might be good. I also think the Ph1 filter has a large filter-area.

The flow area into the box isn't much smaller then the Cupracer (Espace V6) airbox, which is round 100mm. ( I think it is still a bit bigger then the Ph2 / 182 airboxes)

Yeah your probably right to some extent! I still think rather than this, the best thing you can do is get an open cone and a straight tube over to the corner. You will need either a small race battery or stick the battery in the boot

This is something I want to try possibly at some point.

Megane 2 GT 165
True ^^

If you check the boutique of renault-sport.fr you can get the part nummers of the things you need. (you already know I think)

They also sell a shield to seperate the enginebay from the battery bay. (so it's basicly a plate of steel between the engine and the battery, where the standard airbox sits.

If anyone want I can make a snapshot this evening.