ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 as a workhorse?

Hi all,

Currently have a fabia vrs as my daily and workhorse. Do 16-17k a year in it. Frankly it's dull and I want a change. Have a 200 as well but only use that occasionally and wouldn't want to do that mileage in it.

Is the 182 a possibility (able to do the mileage, reliable, not massively expensive on fuel, comfy enough place to be)? I could just move sideways and get a decent 182 for the vrs without any further cost.

Or is that a daft idea?

​cheers all.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
It's a great idea. A good 182 will happily do 17k a year and you'd probably get 35mpg+ out of it if it's commuting.

I use mine for 80 miles a day, commuting day in day out. =19,200 miles per year, excluding additional personal mileage. Around 25k would be a fair guess though.

Mpg can be 35 easily (I average 35-38 a tank, depending on traffic and my eagerness to get home for dinner).

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I use my 172 Cup for work from time to time and it happily sits at 37mpg (worked out over 1500 miles).

f**king freaks of things on fuel :S

Is the 182 a possibility (able to do the mileage, reliable, not massively expensive on fuel, comfy enough place to be)?

I'm all for driving being fun & I realise a 182 won't cost you any extra, but surely the better option (since you've already got an RS Clio!) is to save £2000 on the purchase price and a significant sum of money on running costs (road tax, cheaper sized tyres, insurance etc) and get a DCI 80 - as has already been mentioned?

EDIT: On second thoughts why on earth would you go from a well-built German diesel hatch to a french diesel hatch unless you needed to save money?! Life may as well be fun.

Perhaps consider a 172 if it's going to do that sort of mileage or have a difficult life? Shame to ruin such a nice 182, like the one you just linked.

*Awaits the "I bought a 182 as a daily and it's making my 200 seem pointless so it's up for sale" thread.*

Last edited:

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
I'm actually using the PB as a workhorse at the moment, as much as it's enjoyable to drive everyday, returns nothing less than 36MPG tank to tank, i'd rather be using a $hitbox derv to run that into the ground and have the PB as a weekend toy. On some jobs i have the boot literally full of tools, back seat has a chopsaw on it (dust sheet covering seat) and a spirit level in the front. Not all the time i add, i cringe having to use it like it but i have no choice.

Although i have seen a Peugeot 307 diesel on an 02 for £500, i'd rather ruin that than keep using the PB. A workhorse to me is what i've described above not an empty car racking up the miles every year

M2 Comp
I've just got a new job and will be doing about 3k a month in the Trophy. With personal mileage on top of that, I rekon I could rack up 50k miles a year... it's already on 90k!

Mine does 40 MPG with ease, servicing / maintenance is cheap and whilst I've had no repairs need doing yet, nothing seems overly expensive.

I drive 60 miles a day, sometimes more in my cup and I get 34.5 mpg on average sat at 80. I had to drive to newquay from exeter and back on friday in it too and I only used about £30 fuel.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I think it's a daft idea TBH.

My 172 used to be our workhorse and regularly did around 20k per year, it would easily hit the mid 40s MPG on long runs. Now we have a Fabia vRS as a daily driver.

Unless your comute consist of great bendy B roads, with no traffic then I would stick with your vRS, this is why.

Much better MPG ( If driven the same)
Much more torque (especially when remapped) better for motorway driving IMO
Lighter clutch for traffic jams etc
Cheaper to run RFL, insurance and running costs.

Yes the Fabia is quite boring to drive, due to lack of steering feel and the handling isn't great, but you have the 200 for weekend evening blasts.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
good cheap runabout, I do about 12-15k in mine a year and its fine, although I stuck a standard exhaust, fresh wheelbearings, new engine mounts, clutch cable and standard airbox/filter to make it a nice daily!

320d
Make sure it's completely standard. They're great standard. When you add decat exhausts and lowering springs it makes them fun for half the time but a ball ache for the other half.

I think it's a daft idea TBH.

My 172 used to be our workhorse and regularly did around 20k per year, it would easily hit the mid 40s MPG on long runs. Now we have a Fabia vRS as a daily driver.

Unless your comute consist of great bendy B roads, with no traffic then I would stick with your vRS, this is why.

Much better MPG ( If driven the same)
Much more torque (especially when remapped) better for motorway driving IMO
Lighter clutch for traffic jams etc
Cheaper to run RFL, insurance and running costs.

Yes the Fabia is quite boring to drive, due to lack of steering feel and the handling isn't great, but you have the 200 for weekend evening blasts.

Exactly this. I currently own both too.

Was also thinking megane 175 dci. Drove a private sale yesterday which was a good drive other than slightly lofty seating position and gearbox that didn't want to go into first.

I know the sensible thing to do is keep the skoda but I am in it so much and really don't enjoy driving it 90% of the time. Nice lazy drive but it never feels that planted and responds like a boat. Maybe it's getting tired in the suspension department but I'm not prepared to start throwing money at it only to find myself in exactly the same position.

My driving is short daily commute (5 miles), round town, runs to pick the misses up from work (approx 30 miles each way), and a significant amount of motorway work to and from friends and relations.

172 Cup
I only have a 5mile each way commute and get 35+. That's including hammering it onto the bypass in a morning!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ive got a pretty decent drive to work which is why I picked a 172 as its at its best on they sort of roads, if I was doing boring miles however id want a cumfy diesel

MattRS182

ClioSport Club Member
  #3 PH2 172 Flamer
1*2 is a perfect workhorse, I use it for 20k a year, And with tools in the back, Brilliant on fuel, Comfy and very reliable

I converted the back into a van haha

Here is mine

6AD0F544-EA59-4C22-BF2C-9ED2C3352B6D-1763-000000A2B5508D60.jpg

60DD65B5-9421-43C0-A792-267898912B38-4562-00000180DE1C94E8.jpg

FCA14CDB-7E4E-4E89-9EEC-BA7478BF606D-3058-00000100F8620418.jpg

HenryG

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 cup
I hate using my 182 for work, its not the fuel but the amount it cost in repairs ect... If i had space id get a carpy car as the work horse

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
best thing you can do if you hate repair costs is bite the bullet stick a set of rear dampers, rear discs, handbrake cables, eibachs, exhaust and engine mounts on it, hastle free few years after that lol

107 Track Car & C4
I'm now going to be doing around 10k a year in my 182 and currently getting 36mpg on the daily commute that I've been doing for the past 2 months. It's about 11 miles each way for me.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
182 will do what you want reasonably well, my mrs used our 172 ph2 for 30k+ miles of commuting in 2 years as well as us doing loads of trackdays etc in it.

Being epic all rounders is what they do best IMHO, if I could only have one car for everything I reckon it wold be a 172/182

If you wont be doing trackdays as well though, then just stick with a decent diesel isntead!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I'm all for driving being fun & I realise a 182 won't cost you any extra, but surely the better option (since you've already got an RS Clio!) is to save £2000 on the purchase price and a significant sum of money on running costs (road tax, cheaper sized tyres, insurance etc) and get a DCI 80 - as has already been mentioned?

EDIT: On second thoughts why on earth would you go from a well-built German diesel hatch to a french diesel hatch unless you needed to save money?! Life may as well be fun.

Perhaps consider a 172 if it's going to do that sort of mileage or have a difficult life? Shame to ruin such a nice 182, like the one you just linked.

*Awaits the "I bought a 182 as a daily and it's making my 200 seem pointless so it's up for sale" thread.*

Read his 2nd sentence....... "Frankly it's dull and I want a change."

If a Fabia vRS is boring, there's little chance of anything else from the VAG stable that will light his fuse in the 182 price bracket. Personally, I think it's an excellent idea - except having two RS Clios maybe too similar in terms of dynamics. Unless of course the second RS Clio was a V6.

D.

Clio 182 FF
Most of the miles on my 182 are from myself on the M4 and the original owner on the M25. Don't get as good MPG as those posted, but cruise at 80something.