ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 backbox on 172

Clio 172 Ph1
Can i put one of the two Clio 182 backboxes on my 172 ph1?

Somebody told me that 182 has 2 backboxes and that each of them is identical to 1 backbox of 172 (they maybe have some different mounts and are linked together, but in terms of size, flowing etc are the same).

And someone said that they are not the same, that they are more restrictive because there is two of them so each is for half engine power, while in 172 one is for all engine power.

Which is true? I am asking because i have got one (new) 182 backbox in my garage and i am thinking of installing it on my 172 because mine is not good, so i don't wanna buy aftermarket one if this 182 will be ok.

Last edited:

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Anything can be done with enough money, but seems way to much faf to me. Just get a 172 back box?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Its not really doable, the box design is the same but the mountings are different and the pipes on either end are not the same.

Dont bother...

Clio 172 Ph1
I have got only one 182 backbox (182 have got two identical backboxes linked), so spare wheel is not a problem.
I don't wanna to buy another 172 original box, if this one from 182 is the same and it sits in my garage! Mountings are not the problem to fix.

I just wanna to know if box design (flowing, back pressure, etc) of one 182 backbox is the same like the backbox of 172?? Because i don't wanna loose power or damaging engine if that backbox is too restrictive.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Yes its the same.

You need to grind the mounts off, cut the pipes off either end weld new ones back on and weld mouts to the boxes.

Simple.

As i said before dont bother.