ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 black gold-the work of evil!

hi
had my car a wk today and im loving it to bits, the usual-handling,performance,subtle but menancing looks and all round brilliance,except keeping the god damn thing clean.
now id heard black gold looked best when sparkling and that the colour needs keeping on top of but i didnt quiet realise that it would need this much attention!
i gave the car a thorough clean inside and out lat esunday afternoon-tonight i had to clean the car again(2days) because it looked liked i had entered a rally stage and not a simple commute down the m60 to and from work.
does anyone else find this with the colour or is it just me being soft;)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

LOL m8!

Just the same as me. Give it the full AutoGlym once-over on Saturday and the damn thing looks like I didnt even bother!

Does look good when clean though, doesnt it?!

D.

it looks brilliant darren when its clean- the car gets so much attention when its clean. i have seen loads of silver and blues around but black seems rare-strange as i think it looks amazing with the cup packages. how long have u had yours for then? how u finding life with it?
nick
:)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

Its been fine so far (apart from the annoying engine creak). Great handling, great car and like most people on here, I really like the extra surge higher up the rev range...

Had it since the start of December last year, so Im still learning what it can do!

Whereabouts are you off the M60?

D.

Mini Cooper S sport

I cleaned mine ona Sunday then went past two gritters an hour later...mehh.

It is a nightmare to keep clean, but looks FAB when it is!

Ive got Pearl Black and wash it with nothing but water, wasnt expecting much at first but it looks great. Just wash/dry one section at a time (top, front, left, right, back), only takes 20 minutes so I usually end up doing the other halfs ZR as well.

Ive had mine 2 years and never waxed/polished or anything, just a quick clean every two weeks and it rarely looks too dirty throughout the year, for the first half of the week after a clean its almost mirror like. Paintwork is still perfect as well.

You should never ever use just water as it is not slippery enough (contains no shampoo lubricant) to remove grit/debris without scratching.

I can understand your concersn about polishing it but believe me they are unfounded. As for never waxing it well wax protects your car from the elements and stops the finish oxidsing/deteriating.

Do yourself a favour take a picture of your paintwork very close up with flash and post it on here. If it isnt covered in fine swirls/scratches I will eat my hat!

Megane R26

I dont regret getting my car in black, as it looks soooooo good when its all clean & blinging, but it is quite hard to keep it that way. roll on the summer! :D

ClioSport 182

Quote: Originally posted by Darren S on 23 March 2005

^^^^ - good point!

Bird sh*t stands out more though....

D.
I had many doubts when I ordered my black 182: hard to keep clean, gets too hot in the summer (I live in Madrid), etc. However, after 10 months of ownership I have no regrets at all. It looks the dogs dangly bits ...

As soon as you see bird sh*t on a black 182 clean it off immediately!! I have a small stain that I cannee get rid of on the bonnet for leaving it on too long.

Also with the flies, spray some WD40 on the front so that this little b*stards cant "stick" to the paintwork, and be easily wiped off.

KnightAzul

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

Must admit Im VERY glad I didnt go Black Gold on the Vee. A hard colour to start off with + loads of horizontal surfaces on the V6 that you dont get on the 172/182. Rather than running off the water simply sits on the sides / sills / bumpers ... and dries in muddy puddles :cry:

Leon TDI

Another Black/Golder signing in.

looks fantastic when clean, but impossible to keep clean this time of year. I might spend Good Friday giving her a right going over.

Cup'd 182

Ive had my one for 48 hours and am already thinking about cleaning it...

Im sure thatll wear of soon though!

Quote: Originally posted by Woof on 23 March 2005

Another Black/Golder signing in.

looks fantastic when clean, but impossible to keep clean this time of year. I might spend Good Friday giving her a right going over.
What and clean the car on Saturday?;)

Quote: Originally posted by Andy D on 23 March 2005

Must admit Im VERY glad I didnt go Black Gold on the Vee. A hard colour to start off with + loads of horizontal surfaces on the V6 that you dont get on the 172/182. Rather than running off the water simply sits on the sides / sills / bumpers ... and dries in muddy puddles

Andy, totally agree. My Mk2 vee was in Black Gold, big mistake!!! Loved it when it was clean, and belive me I clean my cars alot, but never lasted long. I have to admit that after owning the car for a very sort period of time I realised I had made a mistake with choosing this colour. You live and learn!!!

I doubt Ill have a black car again, complete pain in the arse trying to keep it clean, used to be cleaning it every weekend but I gave that up a long time ago.

Same here had the 182 for nearly 12 months now absolute nightmare to keep clean my iceberg silver 172 was the best i have had for keeping clean ...

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

Quote: Originally posted by Topper182 on 23 March 2005

Same here had the 182 for nearly 12 months now absolute nightmare to keep clean my iceberg silver 172 was the best i have had for keeping clean ...
Ditto with my Titanium 172. Looked good all the time. Indeed I seriously contemplated an Silver V6 (rare in a Mk2) ... but decided in the end that it was just a little bit "too bland" for a Vee.