ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Cup Gaz coilover

Clio 182 Cup 2.0
My 182 has just failed its mot with a broken spring on the front drivers side coilover. It is a gaz coilover and I cant seem to find any replacement springs that I could replace it with. Any ideas? Thanks

Clio 182 Cup 2.0
GazCoilover1.jpg

This is the stage that I am at, any idea on how I take the spring off? I've got the spring compressed to take the weight off the head of the coilover, but it doesn't want to come off.

Clio 182 Cup 2.0
the top mount doesn't want to come out at all, I think i will have to drop them an e-mail cant find springs anywhere for them!

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
get some wd40 on the adjusters and get them lower on the strut, you will de-compress the spring and there will be no need for the compressor.
And yes, you can get new springs from gaz or gaz suppliers. For the top mount you may heve to use some kind of extractors. I remember it was a pain for me as well to remove them from my old suspension when I fitted the coilies
I'm having some other issues with my gaz coilies, and while you have the strut off the car, can you measure the distance from the bottom adjuster to the lower end of the shock? I'm curious to see how low your car was with the ride height set up like that.
Hope that I've been of some help with your problem

Clio 182 Cup 2.0
Just gave the adjusters a good soakin with wd40 but they are well n truly stuck. I managed to slacken 1 of the adjusters a full turn with the hammer and punch but il be at it for days if that was the case of slackening them far enough back. Ive coated the coily with diesel to sit overnight to try n loosen it up. Can you remember if the top mount is actually threaded on or pressed? I measured the distance between the end of the shock and bottom adjuster ring - 212mm

Clio 182 Cup 2.0
I noticed there is a very small nut at the top of the coilover - what is that for? to adjust how hard or soft you want the damper? and do you need to slacken this or take off to allow for the top mount to be taken off? Thank you

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
take a pic of the nut, I'll help you but first let's make sure what we're talking about :)
thanks for taking that measurement for me. one more thing, if you have a side pic with your car with this suspension on would you be kind enough and post it? just curious how it stands

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
yeah that's the damper adjusment nut.
looks pretty low that second pic although hard to tell from that angle.
from your memory, was it lower than this (judging from the gap):
P1110138.jpg

Clio 182 Cup 2.0
so would i need to slacken this nut to allow for the top mount to come off? N I'd say that that isnt far off the way my 182 was set up!

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
no, you don't have to loosen that. It's only for setting the dampers harder or softer, depending on your preferences, nothing to do with the dissasembly of the strut.
Looks to me that you are in the same difficulty that I was. I'd get myself some kind of a claw puller to get the top mount off the shaft.