ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 cup test drive, Dales Renault

Ive just had a test drive in a 182 with cup options, it handles great on twisty country roads, the suspension is firmer and it shows, I really gave it some welly!!!

I didnt like the wheels but the darker ones do look better on the silver car, they also had a blue 182 in, looks good in blue....I didnt think that it was faster than the 172 and I was disappointed at how quiet the exhaust is...still it was nice to drive a car without the 4k rattle!!!

I noticed on both 182s that the steering wheels were off centre, just a small thing but bugs me!! The headlights also looked good in the flesh...

Im not going to swap my 172 for one just yet as the ebach springs give the same ride as the cup suspension on the 182.

The dealer looked around my car, made positive noises about doing a good deal....then you should have seen his face when I said import! Youd have thought Id just told him that his granny was dead...."oo cant touch an import, cant sell em on, its really bad, cant get em insured, you should have bought a uk car...blah...blah....blah!!!" Idiot!! Does he really think that I’ve been driving around all this time with no insurance??!!

Fine, Ill go get a 182 import if I decide I want one!!!

Not sure dave, sorry. Was like the cup blue but a little darker. Your car looks great!!:D

D-CUP, he was only sulking coz I didnt buy it off them, loads of people on here have imports, they buy and sell no probs. Id have another :)

dk

911 GTS Cab

that would be artic blue then, is a very nice colour!

I took the plunge and went to test drive a Civic Type R today just to see what they are all about as everyone keeps telling me how good they are!

Oh my god, what a beast, it was a 52 plate with 13k on it so was fully run in and the salesman took me out for a ride first after I told him I was comparing it to a Clio 182. FIrst thing he said was that the clio was sh1t and nothing compared to the ctr. We argued for a while after he reckoned he test drove a 182 4 months ago! Later got out of him that it was only a 172 and he said it didnt handle very well and was no match on track to the ctr.

this guy was 19 and had been working for Honda in sales for 2 months, bit of a cocky tw*t really! Reckoned his dad was a director of Honda Uk and he has been working for the Honda racing teams for the past 3 years and also MG X Power racing team! Also said he wrote an NSX off at 120 mph when he was 17 and didnt have a license after his dad bought one home for the weekend!

SO buy now you should have an idea of what this guy is like, well he took me for a ride and was driving through Slough at about 90 mph weaving in and out of traffic and power sliding around roundabouts, he scared the sh1t out of me, and there arent even any grab handles to hold onto!

He took me into the country side then and down some twistys and it flew, he never changed before 8000 revs.

Then it was my turn so I thought I would get my own back by scaring him down a road I didnt know so on a long straight country road I floored it from a standing start through the gears reving it to 8k each time and got a fair old pace up, he was looking a bit nervous, job done! Then I just drove it quite hard for the rest of the journey, it is VERY fast and felt quicker than a clio 182, but whether that was because the engine was revving so hard it just sounded like it was faster im not sure. The 182 I drove had only done 15 miles! I did find it very twitchy though and all over the road, not a calming experience. It has to be driven like a racing car to get it to do anything and when driving fast you feel as if you are in a race and have to concentrate on keeping it on the road, very hard suspension.

So all in all I would say it is noticabley faster than the clio, but not as refined, not as comfortable, cant be driven at low speeds easily (in first gear the car kept jumping forwards) and low spec compared to clio. I must admit that I did like the dashboard mounted gear lever though, very ergonomic!

For the price i bought my clio though, the Civic is not worth the extra 4k if you want the all round experience, if its a fast car you are after, then it looks like it is the next stage up from a 172 CUP!

Remapped derv Golf

NO the cup has grab handles ;)

The guy sounds like a prat! Bet he thinks the Focus RS or the Golf R32 are slow too!

Astra VXR 17/05/07

I have a small video footage of a civic type r and a clio 172 racing on a track..very very close indeed and its obvious both cars were going for it.In the clip there is some mad sod behind filming them so it looks like a bit of a grudge match.

I had a peek at a Ctr a few days ago and was not impressed by the interior,the door handles and door trims and even the dash looked like the silver was wearing away,and the car was less than a year old.It looked very tatty.

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 21 February 2004

that would be artic blue then, is a very nice colour!

I took the plunge and went to test drive a Civic Type R today just to see what they are all about as everyone keeps telling me how good they are!

Oh my god, what a beast, it was a 52 plate with 13k on it so was fully run in and the salesman took me out for a ride first after I told him I was comparing it to a Clio 182. FIrst thing he said was that the clio was sh1t and nothing compared to the ctr. We argued for a while after he reckoned he test drove a 182 4 months ago! Later got out of him that it was only a 172 and he said it didnt handle very well and was no match on track to the ctr.

this guy was 19 and had been working for Honda in sales for 2 months, bit of a cocky tw*t really! Reckoned his dad was a director of Honda Uk and he has been working for the Honda racing teams for the past 3 years and also MG X Power racing team! Also said he wrote an NSX off at 120 mph when he was 17 and didnt have a license after his dad bought one home for the weekend!

SO buy now you should have an idea of what this guy is like, well he took me for a ride and was driving through Slough at about 90 mph weaving in and out of traffic and power sliding around roundabouts, he scared the sh1t out of me, and there arent even any grab handles to hold onto!

He took me into the country side then and down some twistys and it flew, he never changed before 8000 revs.

Then it was my turn so I thought I would get my own back by scaring him down a road I didnt know so on a long straight country road I floored it from a standing start through the gears reving it to 8k each time and got a fair old pace up, he was looking a bit nervous, job done! Then I just drove it quite hard for the rest of the journey, it is VERY fast and felt quicker than a clio 182, but whether that was because the engine was revving so hard it just sounded like it was faster im not sure. The 182 I drove had only done 15 miles! I did find it very twitchy though and all over the road, not a calming experience. It has to be driven like a racing car to get it to do anything and when driving fast you feel as if you are in a race and have to concentrate on keeping it on the road, very hard suspension.

So all in all I would say it is noticabley faster than the clio, but not as refined, not as comfortable, cant be driven at low speeds easily (in first gear the car kept jumping forwards) and low spec compared to clio. I must admit that I did like the dashboard mounted gear lever though, very ergonomic!

For the price i bought my clio though, the Civic is not worth the extra 4k if you want the all round experience, if its a fast car you are after, then it looks like it is the next stage up from a 172 CUP!

Not noticeably faster than a Cup, you cant seperate them till about 120+!

R

rich[182]

interesting you say 172+eibach=same as 182, the suspension mods on 182 would be the main reason id think of swapping to 182 and as ive been looking at going down the eibach route its pleasing to hear

Quote: Originally posted by rich172 on 21 February 2004

interesting you say 172+eibach=same as 182, the suspension mods on 182 would be the main reason id think of swapping to 182 and as ive been looking at going down the eibach route its pleasing to hear
Yep, I came away thinking that the only reason for me to swap mine for a 182 was because it was the newest and latest, dont get me wrong it was a fantastic drive with only 500 miles on the clock and if the exhaust made a bit more noise and it had different alloys it would be near perfect for a Clio....

For now Id rather spend less cash and put a magnex on mine...and maybe a private reg :cool: