ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Dephaser life expectancy...

FF Clio 182
Just asking out of curiosity, does the dephaser on the sports have a life expectancy i.e. how many miles from new before it starts breaking down. I know there is probably not an exact answer just looking for a rogue idea. Is it classed as a serviceable part? or it is best to spend the extra money and get it changed when you do the cam belt?

Thanks

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Mines literally started rattleing as soon as it hit 90k, no idea why :(. It has took plenty of abuse to be fair though and the last owner never changed it when the belts were done.

Can't live with the rattleing until its due belts at 125k so booking it in now for belts and some cams.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Apparently they last better with regular oil changes.

My 182 did over 100k and it was fine, I changed the oil every 6 months (roughly 3k miles) in my ownership though as I really looked after that car. And before me it was owned by a renault mechanic so he probably kept it in good order too service wise.

53 Clio's & counting
My first 172 was on the original dephaser at 145k when I sold it, never made a peep.

I put it down to meticulious oil changes - always on time, never missed a service

How can regular oil changes affect the life expectancy of a part that isnt lubricated? I would suspect it is more related to how the car is driven.

M2 Comp
Mine is on 62k and it's just starting to get a little noisy. It's barely noticable tbh and my belts are due again in around 18 months/2 years so it should be ok until then.

FF Clio 182
Looked into getting a Clio 182 the other day. Seen one on 70k, Aux changed at 42k, Cambelt kit done at 59k but no dephaser.... Slight worrying tbh

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Looked into getting a Clio 182 the other day. Seen one on 70k, Aux changed at 42k, Cambelt kit done at 59k but no dephaser.... Slight worrying tbh

Most people won't change them really. Unless its noisy most people don't even know about them.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
How can regular oil changes affect the life expectancy of a part that isnt lubricated? I would suspect it is more related to how the car is driven.

Right. The dephaser pulley switches between 2 points, when the solenoid operates it allows oil pressure to flow into the dephaser, this pushes a plunger out which unlocks the pulley, and allows it to rotate to the advance position. When the oil gets old it causes a scummy plasticy residue buildup, the plunger gets stuck in the out position, so the pulley stops only moving when the solenoid is operated, and becomes free to float between it's advance and r****d positions, bouncing off the stop at either extreme which is the rattling noise you will hear.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

I do loads without the dephaser needing changing. Don't worry about it too much, if it's a looked after car (regular oil changes) it'll most likely be ok, and it's only going to be an annoyance rather than dangerous even if it does get noisy.

Lionel Richie
all of the ones i've done that chose not to have a dephaser (less than 10) more than 50% have developed a rattle, 2 haven't because one is a 14K mile trpohy and aother is a 22K mile 182, the rest however - sometime on granted - rattleville

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
think i've only had 3 ever need to come back, but i degrease the hell out of them in the part washer for a good 20 minutes minimum. Always said I'll do it for part cost only (the pulley) if it needs doing within 6 months anyway so meh, customers choice and had no complaints