ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 extras over the standard Ph2?

So if I was to look at a complete engine transplant, there's no need in me buying a 182, except if it contradicts the answer to my question!

Apart from the engine...what other upgrades did they do to the 182? Not bothered about cosmetics, just chassis wise really :)

Is it going to be worth me paying the extra £1500 for the 182 rather than an old dynamique for example? Are there enough extras to justify?

Cheers

If you're old enough that insurance isn't an issue & have enough money for a decent condition one then get a 182. The parts cost (a dynamique + parts for a conversion = more than a decent condition 172/182), insurance, tax and DVLA kafuffle make conversions pointless. For a start the conversion will cost in the region of £1500 in parts alone. Honestly me trying to convince you to get a 182 over a dynamique is a waste of time :p Iff you can afford it just get a Renaultsport version. Anyhow, these are the differences:

Apart from the engine it has:

* Larger diameter front discs
* Disc brakes at the rear too. They're not stunning like the Brembos on the 200 Cup etc but on a circa 1000 KG car they are more than effective.
* Lower centre of gravity
* wider track
* More camber I believe.
* Different steering geometry (don't know what's different I just know it's "revised" and "sporty" according to the clio brochure)
* Firmer springs & dampers.
* Wider tyres
* As a point of interest for a conversion, the damper/hub bolt spacing is different so all the hubs/driveshafts/etc are all specific to the RS models.

Interior:

* ESP
* Traction control
* Climate control standard
* cruise control
* aluminium (effect?) pedals
* Xenons
* Half leather/alcantara seats
* Uprated (to 22w RMS) stereo/speakers (which are rubbish BTW, if you care about sound quality)
* Optional Recaro Trendlines (very rare, about 50 sold IIRC)
* Optional sat nav (again very rare)

Exterior:

* "Cup" spoiler
* Front splitter
* RS grill
* Skirts
* Bumpers
* Wheels
* Twin exhaust
* wider arches
* All the colours are unique to Renaultsport models. E.g. a "black" 182 is actually a pearlescent-ish "black gold" compared to a "black" dynamique which is just plain black.

The dynamique is available with a a few options so one may also have the following: (I'm a bit hazy on these as I've only owned a Renaultsport 182 not a dynamique)

* "Control pack" (cruise control & climate control)
* "Entertainment pack" (upgrades to 22w RMS stereo/speakers)
* I'm sure there are a few more "packs" but they're not very common at all.

Think that's it. Standard clios are great first cars but they're not a performance hot hatch. A 182 is a proper hot hatch. Honestly you're comparing a normal car with a performance car.

Last edited:
This is for trackday usage, but may get insured for abit if it runs nicely ;)

Cheers mate, solved my problem no issues!

Hah, should of mentioned the track bit!

Swapping drums for discs is worth it alone for track time vs "drums on fire" time.

Haha I know yeah, apologies!

Tbh, at the moment I'm more looking at turbo'ing the F4R atm.

But was just an idea if there's wasnt much of an issue. But yeah I'd have discs over drums any day!

Only problem is if the rear isn't setup properly for an aftermarket switch, it can make it handle like crap (as I'm sure your aware) so I think the initial outlay for the 182 is worth it alone :)