ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 failed MOT on exhaust and load sensing valve linkage

Renaultsport Clio 182
Just had an MOT failure on my full fat 182 (2004 plate).

Failures are:

Rear breake load sensing valve linkage defective and function impaired (3.6.E.3)

Rear exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gas (7.1.2)

They tell me that the linkage has snapped, and the exhaust has a hole in it (hence the exhaust emissions dash light has been intermittantly - least now I know why!).

So... Epsom Renault quoted me £1009.59 to replace and refit parts (which includes 10% off parts and 35% off labour!). This sounds a bit much to me!

Can anyone advise? I'm pretty sure my car is only worth about £3000 if that! What to do?

Clio 172 cup
Mines just failed on rear brakes too.

Problem is that the last mot at the same garage the fitted a new rear caliper and new pads but the rear brakes have never worked for a year.

Garages can no longer fit second hand parts so its far far cheaper taking the car home doing fixing things yourself with decent second hand parts and then take it back for a re test

Seat Ibiza
Mines just failed on rear brakes too.

Problem is that the last mot at the same garage the fitted a new rear caliper and new pads but the rear brakes have never worked for a year.

Garages can no longer fit second hand parts so its far far cheaper taking the car home doing fixing things yourself with decent second hand parts and then take it back for a re test

Isn't there a thread somewhere about rear brakes on a cup not working normally or something?

EDIT: http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/MoT Issue 31 - Apr 2006.pdf

Last edited:
  182cup & 172 racecar
Just had an MOT failure on my full fat 182 (2004 plate).

Failures are:

Rear breake load sensing valve linkage defective and function impaired (3.6.E.3)

Rear exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gas (7.1.2)

They tell me that the linkage has snapped, and the exhaust has a hole in it (hence the exhaust emissions dash light has been intermittantly - least now I know why!).

So... Epsom Renault quoted me £1009.59 to replace and refit parts (which includes 10% off parts and 35% off labour!). This sounds a bit much to me!

Can anyone advise? I'm pretty sure my car is only worth about £3000 if that! What to do?

Ask them to show you the valve on the rear which has failed. A frikken Renault garage.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
they have a headlight level adjuster which often gets confused with a bias valve. Ask them to show you where the brake pipes are connected to it. They wont be able to

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Didn't realise that myself!! Renault garage as well ffs!!!

welltheresy128451848851489170.jpg

Nail / head / etc.

Further unnecessary proof that Renault dealers appear to be utterly useless.

*Yes yes, there's a few out there... few and far between though.

Lionel Richie
I had a good one today, Halfords auto centre have been stopped by the owner halfway through doing a cambelt (just a belt, not a kit!) after she called me to double check if she was getting ripped off, why she took it there in the first place i have no idea!

£580 to fit JUST A BELT!

Seat Ibiza
I had a good one today, Halfords auto centre have been stopped by the owner halfway through doing a cambelt (just a belt, not a kit!) after she called me to double check if she was getting ripped off, why she took it there in the first place i have no idea!

£580 to fit JUST A BELT!

Luckily she double checked with you then! A little late but sorted now!

Whats the book time on 1*2 cambelts? Random, I know.

Lionel Richie
yeah its getting recovered to us at the weekend

erm i forget the EXACT figure, but its 5 to 6 hours offically

Clio 172
Renault dealers are always trying to rip you off, I always shop around.
I had a Saxo once took it to Citroen for pre mot checks and the told me I needed a new rear axle and they would do it for
Just under £1000. I was going to scrap it until I got 2 other mechanics to look at it and tell me there's nothing wrong with it
So anyway moral of the story is to get a few quotes!

Back to the OP, one thing that hasn't really been mentioned is that the exhausts are silly, silly money from renault (circa starts with a 7...) so that's where the majority of the "cost" is.

Get an aftermarket stainless for half the price, higher quality and more than twice the lifespan. Or get yours repaired.

Renaultsport Clio 182
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I went to R.Sport outside Wimbledon and they confirmed that the valve in question is the headlight adjuster. All he did was shine a light against the rear wheel and he says he can see the crack, but it's only for the mount of the headlight adjuster valve, and that they aren't sold seperately and I'd need a whole new unit. Either way, it's not an MOT failure.

Being a non-mechanical person, would I not have a linkage arm if I don't have valves? Cos the MOT said it was the linkage that had snapped. Whatever that means. If I have no valves, then there is no linkage arm to link them right?

Of the exhaust, I think I will buy one from K-tech for about £350 and get it fitted (quoted around £50 to do so around my area in Surrey). Renault quoted me £500 for the exhaust alone. And the R.Sport guy actually laughed at me and told me to get an after market one.

Of the brake pads, I've ordered some more Greenstuff pads and got quote around £25-40 to fit them.

Will be visiting the MOT guy this afternoon and see what he says about the valve!

By the way, the MOT was not from a Renault garage. It's from my local Vauxhall Hi-Q garage. Though it was Renault Epsom that quoted me the work to replace the exhaust and the mystery valve - God knows what they would have done with the valve! In fact, SMC Renault Weybridge which is where I normally get my work done said that they couldn't find any brake valve parts for my 182, so kudos to them.

Last edited:
  AB182, Audi A5 3.0
No wonder they didnt know what they were doing! why would you take it to a Vauxhall garage?! (I really do hate Vauxhall's and there garages)