ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 FF - Which oil to top up ?

RenaultSport Clio 182
Can anyone please advise what oil to top up with in my Full Fat 182 ?
I've done a search but am a little confused as I have read posts saying only use 5-40, others use 10-40, then theres the semi synthetic or fully - I haven't a clue.

I've got approx 5 litres of Castrol GTX Magnatec 10-40 left from when I had a CTR so does anyone know if it would be ok to top up with this ??

Thanks in advance for any help,
Bazzer1977

10-40 Fully synthetic is the best the Silkline PRo is a popular choice though.
The oil should be fine but personaly if you need to top up the oil assuming its not got a right thirst for oil is to change all the oil.

RenaultSport Clio 182
edde said:
10-40 Fully synthetic is the best the Silkline PRo is a popular choice though.
The oil should be fine but personaly if you need to top up the oil assuming its not got a right thirst for oil is to change all the oil.

Thanks for the speedy respone Edde, much appreciated. I wouldn't say it's got a thirst - haven't checked the dipstick yet but the digital sensor on the dash has just shown 1 dash on the right hand side. This is in 1500miles that I have covered since new - does this sound about right ?? So you reckon the GTX Magnatec 10-40 would be ok to top up with ?? I occasionaly put my foot down in the car but don't give it a thrashing all day long, shouldn't cause any problems should it ?

Cheers,
Bazzer1977

Nez

White Megane R26 F1 230
5w-40 Silkolene Pro S... Quality stuff

The manual says 5w-40

Bazzer1977 said:
Thanks for the speedy respone Edde, much appreciated. I wouldn't say it's got a thirst - haven't checked the dipstick yet but the digital sensor on the dash has just shown 1 dash on the right hand side. This is in 1500miles that I have covered since new - does this sound about right ?? So you reckon the GTX Magnatec 10-40 would be ok to top up with ?? I occasionaly put my foot down in the car but don't give it a thrashing all day long, shouldn't cause any problems should it ?

Cheers,
Bazzer1977
1 bar is almost no burn don't bother Imo just keep a bottle in the boot. Only top up when its at half which is about 6k which is IMO when you should change the oil anyway.

RenaultSport Clio 182
edde said:
1 bar is almost no burn don't bother Imo just keep a bottle in the boot. Only top up when its at half which is about 6k which is IMO when you should change the oil anyway.

Sounds good to me, was considering a change at 6k but the amount of miles I do it would probably be sometime next year !!

Cheers,
Bazzer1977

RenaultSport Clio 182
10-40 it is then cheers for the help guys - much appreciated.
Great site by the way, it's helped me out lots and is full of useful hints tips & info.

Cheers.

172 M69 eater
Bazzer1977 said:
10-40 it is then cheers for the help guys - much appreciated.
Great site by the way, it's helped me out lots and is full of useful hints tips & info.

Cheers.
why thank you... i try to help ;)

5-40 is better as at low temps it will protect the engine but I'd only buy if its cheaper or the same price as 10-40 which is rarly is.
10-40 is a reasoably easy to get hold of racing oil as well which is handy.

RenaultSport Clio 182
meady100 said:
CTR you say. Interesting - so can we have a completely unbiased opinion/comparison of both cars please?!

S.

Had the CTR for about a year and a half went like sh*t off a shovel, V-Tec was great but the paint quality and driveability was total bollox. Paint was so thin my bonnet being Nighthawk Black in colour was covered with lots of chips after only 500miles. If you were to boot it from a standstil it would wheelspin up into 3rd easily in the wet, no traction at all ! And around the twisties it was a bag of sh*te.

182 slightly smaller car but perfect in every way. More toys, more fun better handling and leaves change in your back pocket. The 182 in my opinion is a much better car, it feels right when driven and has the gearstick in the natural position !!

My mate had a 182 when I had my CTR & on a private road we had the battle. Up to 90 the 182 pulled away nicely but after that I caught up but this was on a straight. If it had been 'through the twisties' I would not have got past.

People whinge here occasionaly about the quality of Renault - you should of seen the CTR I had. The red H badge on the bonnet rusted from inside out (changed under warranty). Both rear light clusters suffered badly from condensation and had algae forming on the inside - Hondas fix for this was a silica gel pack placed behind the cluster. Condensation on the inside windows was a right mo fo. Rattling was also 50x worse than the 182 !

Is the 182 a better car ? Mmm, more money in back pocket, less rattly, no condensation and more fun to drive. 182 wins hands down, end of..... & that's the bottom line.......'cos I said so.

ST
Bazzer1977 said:
Had the CTR for about a year and a half went like sh*t off a shovel, V-Tec was great but the paint quality and driveability was total bollox. Paint was so thin my bonnet being Nighthawk Black in colour was covered with lots of chips after only 500miles. If you were to boot it from a standstil it would wheelspin up into 3rd easily in the wet, no traction at all ! And around the twisties it was a bag of sh*te.

182 slightly smaller car but perfect in every way. More toys, more fun better handling and leaves change in your back pocket. The 182 in my opinion is a much better car, it feels right when driven and has the gearstick in the natural position !!

My mate had a 182 when I had my CTR & on a private road we had the battle. Up to 90 the 182 pulled away nicely but after that I caught up but this was on a straight. If it had been 'through the twisties' I would not have got past.

People whinge here occasionaly about the quality of Renault - you should of seen the CTR I had. The red H badge on the bonnet rusted from inside out (changed under warranty). Both rear light clusters suffered badly from condensation and had algae forming on the inside - Hondas fix for this was a silica gel pack placed behind the cluster. Condensation on the inside windows was a right mo fo. Rattling was also 50x worse than the 182 !

Is the 182 a better car ? Mmm, more money in back pocket, less rattly, no condensation and more fun to drive. 182 wins hands down, end of..... & that's the bottom line.......'cos I said so.

Very good answer mate....

This might shut people up when going on about build quality and how much better honda are meant to be over reno etc!!

RenaultSport Clio 182
Alan said:
Very good answer mate....

This might shut people up when going on about build quality and how much better honda are meant to be over reno etc!!

Unfortunately there will always be the arguments on the '182 vs CTR' topic but I can honestly say after owning both that the 182 is the better of the two (IMO). Also a added bonus the 182 fits in me garage where the CTR was too wide to even get the front in !

When they mention the Japanese build quality it's a joke, don't they realise it's assembled in Swindon UK? Not saying all CTR's are that way mind but mine certainly was, it was a Friday afternoon car !

Bazzer1977 said:
Sounds good to me, was considering a change at 6k but the amount of miles I do it would probably be sometime next year !!

Cheers,
Bazzer1977
if your doing that sort of milage chnage it ever 6 months then instead chnaging the oil makes a huge difference.

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
I was going to change my oil after 6k, but I had a look at it and it still looked good, so I haven't bothered.