ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Headlight washers, only 1 working, garage stumped.

Clio 182
Hi Everyone!

This is my first post as I only got my Clio 182 a month ago and it has now failed its MOT! I am in dire need of help... have tried everything logical!The garage could not sort this issue so any ideas would be much appreciated. The issue is only 1 side of the headlight jets are working.
Throughout these tests the washer tank was full up and headlights were on.

I put in a new pump and it was the same issue, indicating pump is fine.
I swapped the pipes on the pump and then the other jet worked but the one which did work now doesn't, indicating jets and pipes are clear and working.
Garage tried a different pump with 1 outlet and a T piece, then neither worked (I guess not enough pressure) and they even tried a 3rd pump with 2 outlets with no success.
The garage can't help any further but before I take it to a Renault garage is there anything else I can try? I even put my mouth round the jets and gave them a good suck to see if that helped lol.
All the time you can hear it "buzz buzz" as if it was firing one jet after the other, yet only water ever comes out of 1 side.

This is so annoying as its the only thing it failed its MOT on, everything else is fine. I was thinking that perhaps just not enough power getting to the motor but then I would assume no side would work, not just 1.

Thanks for reading and any and all help much appreciated!

Clio 182
I forgot to add, the garage tested the pump which is currently in the car and it worked from both sides of the pump when it was tested, but after installing into car and attacking pipes then only 1 side worked.

Clio 197
It's not a complicated set up, if the pump is working and water is only coming out one side then either the pipe is blocked or it's split on that side I would say.

immaculate clio 172
Can you not just fit headlight washer blanks from a clio 172 cup and crimp the existing hoses behind the bumper

Surely can't fail them if they not there!

My headlight washers also don't work but never been an issue at mot
Sounds like a fussy mot tester to me

The washers do bugger all for the headlights anyway 😂

Can you not just fit headlight washer blanks from a clio 172 cup and crimp the existing hoses behind the bumper

Surely can't fail them if they not there!

My headlight washers also don't work but never been an issue at mot
Sounds like a fussy mot tester to me

The washers do bugger all for the headlights anyway 😂
Washers are required on all cars with HID's. Even if they are aftermarket HID kits. Not all testers will be aware of this though

http://www.partinfo.co.uk/files/MOT Changes - Lighting.pdf

Arctic 182
I swapped the pipes on the pump and then the other jet worked but the one which did work now doesn't, indicating jets and pipes are clear and working.

You do know that one side works when you use the front windscreen washer, and the other side when you use the rear?

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Firstly, do your front and rear washers work fine? If so swap the headlight pump with the windscreen pump and see if it works then.

A lot of non-genuine pumps do not switch correctly which can cause the washer to only work on one side, so get your hands on a working genuine pump to test.

Also with the MOT you should get away with blanks, the handbook does say that the function of the HID washer should be tested if present. Most people removing their washers get their MOT passed easily enough.

Arctic 182
Since when? I've never heard that before!

Haha I'm doubting myself now! I don't know why I thought that, mine have never worked but that's how I thought they did, and thought that was why the OP's worked on either side when he swapped the pipes. I stand corrected...

obcuz

ClioSport Club Member
When troubleshooting problems with washer pumps, it is important to understand how the pump system works...
There are two pumps, one for the front and rear screen jets, and the other pump for the h/l jets, each pump has two outlets, with motor turning, water is pumped only from one outlet at a time, to pump from the opposite outlet the polarity of the motor is reversed so that the motor runs backwards - switching between the outlets is done by a shuttle valve and water pressure depending on which way the pump motor is turning.
Each h/l jet has it's own pipework from the h/l pump.
Check that a zist/zist is heard from the headlight washer pump with headlights on, meaning that there are two pulses of power - motor runs forward for about a second and then backward for another second, thus serving each washer jet in turn, with engine stopped this behaviour is easily heard.
If only one h/l washer jet is working, swapping over the pipes should see the opposite jet served, this test will eliminate pipework problems or blocked jets, make sure that figure out which pumps does what beforehand though.
Most problems on the pumps are caused by a stuck shuttle valve which is located in the pump body, this can also give some peculiar faults like rear screen washing when the front washer is used.
I might add that the aftermarket pumps although really cheap are pretty naff and don't last long, better to stick with OEM but they are around £30 ea. IIRC.
Hope this helps.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I found the pattern pumps pretty much fail instantly at switching direction. Normally ended up cleaning juat the rear screen or one headlight!

Use OEM and trim the shuttle rubber washer is the best bet - mine have been fixed for ages now.