ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 insurance.

NickM5c

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M5 Audi TT

I got my renewal yesterday from Admiral and was shocked by how much they wanted and they were charging extra for the Cup options. So after a bit of hunting around i am going to go with Tesco this time as not only did they save me 200 squids off the Admiral quote, they do not charge extra for the Cup options. They do view the Cup packages as a modification to the standard car but it does not seem significant enough to make an impact on the premium. Strange that some companies do (Elephant is another one that charges extra) and others dont. Still i am quite pleased.:)

NickM5c

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M5 Audi TT

The worse thing is explaining what they are every time. Surely they would have them on thier computer systems by now. Oh well.

Lee

BMW M2C

The first time I spoke to Tesco they wanted to charge me a lot more for the Cup pack. When the car arrived and I changed my cover I told them it had the factory fitted Cup options and they just said no problem. They asked me if it was how it left the factory, which of course it is.

The Cup pack is covered in the value of the car you are insuring with most companies. I reckon they just try it on to see if you fall for it. They wanted a further £182 off me for the Cup pack, as opposed to £31 for changing from a 172 to a 182. Criminals the lot of them.

NickM5c

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M5 Audi TT

Well Admiral certainly were trying it on. I wont bother with them again. Its strange though because when i got quoted on my 172 last year they were the cheapest by some margin and now they are the most expensive.

Lee

BMW M2C

They vary massively from year to year. The AA put mine up £600 for no reason on my 172 and couldnt explain why. They were even sorry they were doing it, and even more so when I cancelled!!

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

I havent bothered to declare.

As far as Im concerned its not modified, as it is "as factory built".

If they ever disputed that fact, Id be livid, but I cant see how they can charge for something that is not a modification.

NickM5c

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M5 Audi TT

Quote: Originally posted by CocoPops on 13 July 2004

If they ever disputed that fact, Id be livid, but I cant see how they can charge for something that is not a modification.
I understand what you are saying and you probably would be alright i would just not want to find out the hard way. You know what insurers are like, they will do anything to get out of a claim.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Thing is tho, insurance pride themselves on being black and white, no grey areas.

So the question arises "Has it been modified?" Answer "Nope, its factory standard" End of story.

Ang

Pink/Blue 182

Thing is tho, insurance pride themselves on being black and white, no grey areas.

So the question arises "Has it been modified?" Answer "Nope, its factory standard" End of story.
I agree !!!!!!! they didnt question me when i rang up.........i said all options were factory fitted........factory fitted is not modified as far as my insurance company is concerned (admiral)

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

I think thats who Im gonna use at renewal Bubba (end of this month) as the two lowest quotes were Admiral and Bell Direct (same group of companies).

Please read the small print in the terms and conditions.

It states we will cover a car that is a std production line make. Any options are a factory option/modifications.

As such in an accident you will not be covered for the cup suspension. I found out after speaking to Admiral and recieving my policy from Bell. Cancelled and had to pay more for piece of mind.

black golf v6 4 motion

even reno insurance charge more for the options...... after a gruelling 10 min explanation of what they were heh

BEWARE

I had a VERY long chat with Tesco/Direct Line/Privledge

At first they stated that the Cup options did not add anything, but after checking with the underwritters they DO. They were happy with the suspension, but the spoiler added £100 to the quote - I know for the size it is a joke.

PLEASE get it in writing from them that they accept the fact that it has CUP options.

Jonathan

NickM5c

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M5 Audi TT

Everyone seems to be saying something different!:confused:. Well the guy from Tesco insurance said the Cup options were listed on my quote so as long as it is mentioned on my insurance certificate that is good enough for me.

I would go back and declare it asap. Upgraded wheels, even when fitted at the factory are open to increased premiums.

If you are involved in a bad accident, they will not pay. One of my mates friends £50k Porsche was not paid out on due to 1mm to little tread, even though the tyres marks were pretty severe on the road where he crashed - That was the Tescos group.

The knowledge of the person at the end of the phone with Tescos etc leaves a lot to be desired. We had a 10 minute discussion re the fact that there is no 182 Cup variant.

I am now using Liverpool and Victoria on a policy that any mods are OK as long as its not an engine size upgrade. Chips, wheels etc are fine.

Jonathan