ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Oil: 5W 40

S1 Elise 111S

Can someone

1. confirm that the oil thats initially in a new 182 is 5W 40 (which is fully synthetic).

2. recommend a brand and where to get it easily (i live in Reading). Halfords only stock their own brand in this type. Is Shell Helix Ultra stuff (available at any Shell garage) any good?

I wanna top-up the oil as ive done about 1000 miles so far and the level has dropped a bit.

Cheers

Dave

p.s. i have sent off for cliosport membership a week or so ago, so any places that might offer a discount as well might be nice. :)
[Edited by FierceBanana on 08 June 2004 at 2:50pm]

S1 Elise 111S

huh, so which is it then? Im confused, i have read other topics on here about replacing the oil and what to replace it with, but i cant find out exactly what is in it from new. Anyone know 100% for sure? id like to top it up without mixing oil (fully/semi synthetic), which would be bad.

Thanks

Dave

172, Tiguan

10w 40 semi synthetic. ELF.

[Edited by jon_r on 08 June 2004 at 4:00pm]

Mobil 1!!! Why dou you think it comes with an elf sticker on the back.

S1 Elise 111S

Thanks Jon, yeah, thats kinda y i asked u guys, cant throw those renault guys very far...

Where can i get hold of some of this magical elf 10w40 oil then? and what type exactly is the stuff to go for?

172, Tiguan

Renault parts department mate, they arent as expensive as you might think.

Unless your off to France shortly, its a lot cheaper out there.

Skoda Fabia vRS

you might actually find it very hard to find Elf oil

alternatives are:

Carlube Triple R 5W-40 - Available at any Motor World

Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 - Available at some Shell stations

Silkolene Pro S 5W-40 - Available from me but only in bulk

Total Quartz 9000 5W-40 - Available at some(very few) Total stations

if you are anywhere near the north west mate ive got a bottle of the Total Quartz in my bedroom thats still sealed, you can buy that off me if you want, £20 for a 5L bottle..........its £35 in a Total garage

Ren use whatever they can get cheapest at the time.

I had trouble finding Elf oil, got some millers 1o 40w semi synth to top it up with. I think my car uses more oil an anyone else on here. Not loads but im halfway down the stick again.

My Ren garage didnt sell oil, said they get it all in in bulk.

[Edited by Jim172CUP on 08 June 2004 at 6:27pm]

S1 Elise 111S

Cheers Guys, i think im just gonna shove the Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 stuff in that i got the other day. North west is a bit far for me, but thanks anyway for the offer.

But fyi i just spoke to the service dept in Renault (Reading) whom told me they didnt know what oil the 182 had in it from new and that they use Mobil1 0W-40 when they service it anyway. Think i might be investing in some better oil when it gets serviced (or find a better dealer ;)).

Dont use a fully synth oil for the first 10K.

Id say stay away from the semi aswell, mineral is much better for the run in.

Quote: Originally posted by boyced on 08 June 2004

Reno only use elf oil!

thats what theyd have you think. maybe from the plant it has elf in it but the garages use whatever they can get the cheapest.

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 08 June 2004
Dont use a fully synth oil for the first 10K. Id say stay away from the semi aswell, mineral is much better for the run in.

What are the advantages to use a minral oil for the run in ?

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

Im using Mobile 1 0w 40 but IIRC most people on here say its wrong

pretty much all cars come with mineral oil, its for bedding in purposes until the rings bed in, its generally a bad idea to use fully synth from new, youll pay later (i dont want to get into a debate about this though, all the info backed up by all articles posted on the "run your car in hard thread" regardless of whether they say run it in carefully or hard, state that thicker oil is required during running in). with my CTR i left it until 6k then switched the oil to mobil1 everything nicely bedded in..

also as a general rule you should not mix oil grades and types, it can cause all sorts of odd issues, so dont mix synth and mineral and DONT mix grades, try and stick with the same if possible.. if anyone wants me to back this up ill try and dig out some articles i read on this subject

If the 182 is supplied from new with oil suitable for running-in the engine why is there no oil change before 12000 miles.

If mineral oil can provide enough protection up to 12000 miles why does it need synthetic oil.

i cant speak for renault just what ive read, my civic had a recommended 1000 mile oil change (kept at 10w/40) and a recommended change at 6000 to synth NB these were both recommended by the dealer not Honda themselves. Running in creates lots of dirt in the oil, regardless of what is recommended id still get the oil changed at 1000 miles no matter what car i had, clean oil = long life

Quote: Originally posted by deuginthesky on 08 June 2004

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 08 June 2004

Dont use a fully synth oil for the first 10K.

Id say stay away from the semi aswell, mineral is much better for the run in.

What are the advantages to use a minral oil for the run in ?
When an engine is being run in the main thing you are trying to acheive is a proper seal between the piston rings and the cylinder wall. Bearings of most sorts and cam lobs run on either oil films or hydrodynamic wedges so there is no actual metal to metal contact.

If you run a synth oil then the prime benefits of a synth prohibit the bedding in of piston rings. Synthetic oil has much better shear resistance and wear resistance, the rings dont get a chance to touch against the freshly honed cylinder wall.

Add to this the typical manner which people run their car in (i.e. slowly and with little throttle) makes things even worse. Rings use combustion pressure to press themselves against the cylinder wall, the static 5psi or so of pressure they emit statically isnt enough to withstand the several thousand psi of combustion pressure. So you really DO need to use all throttle positions including full throttle and most of the RPM range to effectively run in and engine.

Replacing the oil a 1000 miles or so will remove the oil oil which carries with it alot of waste. Typically ally, copper, silicone left from sand in the casting and from sealants used in the engine. Changing oil removes these traces of crud.

I typically replace oil and filter after 1k and use a high moly additive aswell.

R

rich[182]

All this oil lark winds me up

If manual states use 5W-40 standard oil why do renault put in 10W-40 semi syn at the factory, Is standard otherwise known as semi synth ?

If they have 10W-40 from new then why top up with 5W-40 and not 10W-40

I need to top up my oil a little and having read a million posts on the subject still dont know what the hell I should top up with

Ford Fiesta

truth be told I dont think I have heard anything which convinces me anyone knows what oil is in from new (apart from the man who pours it in) or in fact what is supposed to be used and when a change is needed and to what.

There are so many conflicting answers, Renault dealers know jack about what oil to use, most will treat all petrol clio engines the same and use the same oil...

Liam182 you are absolutely correct.. Conflicting stories and "opinions"..

At the end of the day you pay your money and take your choice..

We put Magnatec in every vehicle that is serviced..

Ford Fiesta

anyone changed their own oil on a 172/182? how hard is it? and if I take it top renault is there scope for them to forget to replace some screws undeneath engine that hold the cover on etc or are there only 2 or so?

I took my dynamique for something doing and they neglected to replace a cover for the abs sensor stating its so hard to get on and off with clios might as well leave it off! I took it back when I found out and asked them to get me a new cover.

just wondering if same could happen with cover under engine?

I think the oiol filter is the blue thing facing towards the front of the car horizontal is that right?

I would imagine it being a little tricky getting at the filter, arent there loads of air con pipes in the way? Can you get at it from underneath?