ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 or 197?

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
I don't see the huge appeal of the Trophy version personally, having said that I've only seen one and haven't driven one. I just think the suspension sounds a bit fussy and an unnecessary extra to maintain as a cup packed 182 handles superbly anyway... The colour of the Trophy isn't that fantastic either, obviously it's only my opinion but I just don't see them as being that special! Renault could have made it a lot more special in my opinion as I see it as a parts bin car.... a V6 spoiler, different sus(fair enough), wheels off the cup version, cup headlights, and Recaros that aren't very special and not to mention the cheap looking Trophy decal on the skirts... They didn't even fit a tasty sports exhaust or anything over the standard car......:dapprove:

need to drive one to then be able to give a fair opinion on one :p

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
i personally prefer 197 over the 182, but on that budget, get an awesome trophy, and spend the change on... whatever you want, currently need a budget of at least 6500 to get a basic 197

they seem to go for that price with no options... theres a standard one for sale near me for £8950 iirc with xenons and climate control... no recaros, no cup chassis, no hero/cup spoiler!? not even a spoiler come to think of it. dreamers.

I don't see the huge appeal of the Trophy version personally, having said that I've only seen one and haven't driven one. I just think the suspension sounds a bit fussy and an unnecessary extra to maintain as a cup packed 182 handles superbly anyway... The colour of the Trophy isn't that fantastic either, obviously it's only my opinion but I just don't see them as being that special! Renault could have made it a lot more special in my opinion as I see it as a parts bin car.... a V6 spoiler, different sus(fair enough), wheels off the cup version, cup headlights, and Recaros that aren't very special and not to mention the cheap looking Trophy decal on the skirts... They didn't even fit a tasty sports exhaust or anything over the standard car......:dapprove:

tbh, it is a parts bin edition. but the parts theyve picked are brilliant as opposed to the new special edition clios with just all the options picked and a sticker.

the wheels are wider (iirc) than the 172cup turinis... The recaros. fair play are just there because recaro. the spoiler imo sets it apart from 'normal' 1*2s. the headlights are the only let down and xenons arent hard to retrofit.

think of it as an improved 172cup. rather than a 182 with extras :)

but to be pessemistic... theyre a pink clio :rasp:

RB 182 FF
they seem to go for that price with no options... theres a standard one for sale near me for £8950 iirc with xenons and climate control... no recaros, no cup chassis, no hero/cup spoiler!? not even a spoiler come to think of it. dreamers.

tbh, it is a parts bin edition. but the parts theyve picked are brilliant as opposed to the new special edition clios with just all the options picked and a sticker.

the wheels are wider (iirc) than the 172cup turinis... The recaros. fair play are just there because recaro. the spoiler imo sets it apart from 'normal' 1*2s. the headlights are the only let down and xenons arent hard to retrofit.

think of it as an improved 172cup. rather than a 182 with extras :)

but to be pessemistic... theyre a pink clio :rasp:

If the alloys are wider than the standard cup wheels then that makes me like the Trophy ever so slightly more than i did before...:D

Clio Sport 197
I'm a 197 owner and love the car but for your budget I'd definitely say 182 and tbh I'm still tempted to trade in for a trophy, also if you're planning on tinkering with the car there are alot of options compared to the 197 and much cheaper

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I'm in a similar situation, hasnt the 197 got bugger all kit standard?

Same as 182s tbh. The ones to look for are the ones specced with climate, cruise (standard iirc), xenons with cornering lights (washer jets) cup chassis (red calipers and anthracite wheels) an obviously recaros. I'm sure the 182s only came with xenons and climate as standard

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
flol at the replies here.

Like a 200 is 5k better than a cupped 197. Delusional

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
When I sell my present car the wife has very kindly said I can have a Clio again (I have previously owned a 172 cup). I am thinking I am going to have about £4500 - £5000 to spend.
I am imagining for that money I will be able to get a tidy 182 or a not so tidy 197.
What are peoples thoughts on both cars? What would people recommend? Good and bad points to look our for on both cars?

Any help really appreciated.

Ross.

Simples-

on that budget Spunk all 5k on a decent trophy, or spend 4k on a MINT racing blue 182 & then spunk £700 on recaros for it

Job done
S

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
So you haven't owned a 200... I can now add 'liar' to you already being dumb and a dickhead.

Trophy #490

Drive one. I guarantee you'll think the complete opposite to what you're thinking now! The dampers transformed it. Its ride is a bit firmer but a 182 is hardly known for its comfort anyway! The Trophy's just in a different league to drive; it's truly an all-time great. The Recaros are a huge improvement on those atrocious 182 seats which offer absolutely nothing in the way of support. Capsicum Red is a brilliant colour when clean as well.

I'd have one over a 197 every single time. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the looks of the 197, but everything depends on the spec that the original owner ordered. There are so many 197s that fail miserably on this part. Xenons, Speedlines, and Recaros are essential!

320d
I'd rather have the 182 and change than an early 197. The early 197's have the silly low ratio gearboxes, no option of cup chassis or recaros.

Just my personal opinion but I'd want one that at least had cup chassis and recaros. Ideally like climate too. Basically 182 spec in a 197.

RB 182 FF
Drive one. I guarantee you'll think the complete opposite to what you're thinking now! The dampers transformed it. Its ride is a bit firmer but a 182 is hardly known for its comfort anyway! The Trophy's just in a different league to drive; it's truly an all-time great. The Recaros are a huge improvement on those atrocious 182 seats which offer absolutely nothing in the way of support. Capsicum Red is a brilliant colour when clean as well.

I'd have one over a 197 every single time. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the looks of the 197, but everything depends on the spec that the original owner ordered. There are so many 197s that fail miserably on this part. Xenons, Speedlines, and Recaros are essential!

I must confess hearing so many people bang on about the trophy does intrigue me to actually experience driving one.... I still keep my opinions on a very average effort by Renault to cosmetically enhance the car, but this suspension is obviously the main factor....:D

Megane GT
182s have more character. If someone offered me the choice Id get a 182, you can have more fun with it and you can pick up loads of bits to make it exactly what you want as youd be spending less to buy the car.

I agree with all of the above - and the trophy dampers can be fitted to a 182FF if you wanted to.
I don't like the pov spec rear seats in the trophy either though these can easily be changed obviously.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Ive got you down as more than just a dickhead thats for sure.

tHw0b.gif