ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 or Fiesta ST

Two of the cars I'm considering when going for a new car in the next couple of months.

Which would you prefer and why?

It would be nice to hear from people who have driven both.

With regards to performance I know the 182 is faster in a straight line but I'm not too fussed about that. I'm more concerned with handling, driving position, build quality etc.

Thanks

A clio
i almost got the st, but glad i didnt. Both are v nice cars. Fiesta wins on the interior, comfort and maybe the looks and stuff, but the 182 wins everywhere else. You cant compare the 2 cars as imho the 182 is sooooo much more car for your money!

edit

build quality is obviously 100% better than the clio and drivers postition is better, buts its nly a fiesta at end of the day

Nimbus Clio 197
driving position? fiesta is much better.

build quality? i'd prob say the fiesta is better too.

everyone moans about the clios driving position, but when i first got in mine, i tilted the seat back, and its perfect, wouldnt change a thing.. its not as bad as everyone says..

though i have noticed a few rattles etc, but i wasnt expecting german quality, and the drive makes it soo worth it!

Nimbus Clio 197
lucky you mate. if i so much as put a different jacket on, my seating position was suddenly wrong and impossible to alter correctly! lol

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
i only went rounda car park in one and found that lol. Comapred to my mates VTS its like your in a bloody range rover

cock mobile.
lol, it is a bit high, but most standard set ups are. The ST seems too high as well.

ST is a fantastic car, but it's not in the same league as the 182 imo.

tr1pp1n said:
build quality is obviously 100% better than the clio and drivers postition is better, buts its nly a fiesta at end of the day

Without wanting to sound picky, if the fiesta is just a fiesta, surely the clio is just a clio :-S

sh33n said:
lol, it is a bit high, but most standard set ups are. The ST seems too high as well.

Yeah thats one of the things i dont like about the ST it looks like a 4x4 sometimes :)

Just to throw a spanner in the works for those who think the cars are in different leagues, this turn up on a review site:

"As for performance, bear in mind that German magazine Auto Bild got this car around the infamous Nurburgring Nordschleife just a tenth of a second slower than the more powerful 182."

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Was a grandma driving the 182? The 182 simply blitzes the fiesta round a track. Check out the back of Evo for example.
I'm 6'3 and can honestly say i find the seating position fine,when i saw Clarkson moaning about the back of seat I thought oh god. But i've got it perfect for me now. The wheel is a tad large though.
I'd go for the 182 anyday IMO. I actually prefer the looks of the clio aswell. But at the end of the day its what your most happy with...test drive both and then see how you feel.
John

Clio Cup
I think its a good car. I saw one recently in white with blue stripes on the side and white rims, it looked nice for a ford. Although it has a gutless engine it corners harder than a trophy so thats perhaps why its able to achieve a similar time to the 182 round the ring. Also seems like it would be a better car to modify.

Renaultsport Clio 182
Dazz said:
Just to throw a spanner in the works for those who think the cars are in different leagues, this turn up on a review site:

"As for performance, bear in mind that German magazine Auto Bild got this car around the infamous Nurburgring Nordschleife just a tenth of a second slower than the more powerful 182."

Can't say I believe that. Evo's times around their test track are...

Clio 182 Cup - 1.33.10
Fiesta ST - 1.36.15

That's a difference of almost 3 seconds over a track that is only 1.8 miles in length. Around the 'Ring, the difference would be a lot greater.

The 182 and Fiesta ST aren't in the same league IMO, performance wise.

RB 182
Shame they never made this:

rs.jpg

RS Megane DCi 175
Not wrong on the insurance - almost half the price for me compared to the 182.
Also worth noting is the tunability of the ST...gains can be had for not much ££.
One thing they both share tho - they both sit really high! First mod for me would be to sort that with coilies!

Yaris Hybrid
If you get the Fiesta I guarantee you will often think about the 182 and wonder what it would have been like if you had got one - especially if one goes past you on dual carraigeway etc.

If you get the 182 I guarantee you won't spend even a second wondering "what if I'd got the Fiesta".

Renaultsport Clio 182
Pumaspeed came close ;)

P5150118.jpg

P5150121.jpg

But yea, would have been nice of them to make the Fiesta RS. I reckon it would have sold by the bucket load!

Mini Cooper S sport
Toypop said:
If you get the Fiesta I guarantee you will often think about the 182 and wonder what it would have been like if you had got one - especially if one goes past you on dual carraigeway etc.

If you get the 182 I guarantee you won't spend even a second wondering "what if I'd got the Fiesta".

I think that's a great way of putting it! There'd be no comparison for me.

The only cars I'd have a dilemma over against the 182 would be the VXR or Focus ST3 - but then they both cost far more.

Crazy Clio said:
dont you find you sit too high in the 182?

i agree that the clio is higher than my ibiza, but i think i prefer it, it just seems like the 'right' position for me! lol

Clio 182
Josh27 said:
Pumaspeed came close ;)

P5150118.jpg

P5150121.jpg

But yea, would have been nice of them to make the Fiesta RS. I reckon it would have sold by the bucket load!

All that, and its still got s**t black mirrors, lol

Nissan 350Z
When I got the Clio i was faced with the choice between it and a Fiesta ST (and also some other cars)... but to be honest, for the very reason Tonypop said, the Fiesta didnt even get a look in. If it had another 30 bhp then I would have looked more carefully at it - and yes I know if you modify it then you can get that, but I didnt want to have to modify it to get it to that level, I wanted something that would perform out of the box.

The simple fact is, the ST is heavier and less powerful than the Clio, and the engine is seriously restricted as stock. Out of the box, there is no doubt in my mind that the 182 is much quicker.

And I'd just like to stick my vote in as another who doesnt find the driving position of the Clio bad - its very comfortable in fact. Try driving a Mk2 golf and then you'll see what uncomfortable means! Sure the driving position isnt as low as a Noble M12 I recently sat in, but then its a hatchback FFS! :D I also sat in a trophy recently as well, and apart from the Recaro's looking nicer, I didnt find them any more comfy than the standard seats in my 182, in fact maybe the other round! And this supposed vast improvement in driving position with those - well i didnt get that either - just seemed the same to me.

LY V6 with Recaros
I've never had a problem with the 182 driving position, but I'm a short arse, so it's perfect for me! :)

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
tr1pp1n said:

And the 182 is only a Clio at the end of the day. lol

Renaultsport Clio 182
If you are not interested in speed, but want handling and build quality then stop looking at the Clio and compare the Fiesta ST and the old Focus ST170, maybe the Civic R and Corolla T Sport too.

The Clio will whip them all round a track and for standard kit too, but comfort and build are not strong points!

The new Clio is said to be well built, so why not wait for the 197, Im sure Motorpoint will be banging them out for £12K soon.

RenaultSport clio 18
182 all day, not cos got one but looks sound handling power all better in my opinion, but still festa lovely little car.

Clio 182
That ring time sounds very suspect IMO
I had no trouble pulling away in every gear from a white striped up ST

Peugeot 207 GT THP
I bought my 182 new about 10 months ago and at the time the only cars I was thinking of buying to replace my 206 GTI were the 182 and the Fiesta ST.

They're both good looking cars and price wise they were very similar with the discounts I was able to get. However, when I took the Fiesta out on a long test drive, the acceleration felt flat and I felt detached from the car. It was a nice car but it didn't feel special. The 182 though was completely different and I was amazed at how much quicker it was and how much more fun it was to drive.

Yes, the Fiesta is the better built car and it'll probably be the more reliable too, but if you want to have some fun and enjoy driving your car I'd only consider the 182. My test drive in the 182 was nowhere near as long as in the Fiesta but having been able to drive it along some proper national speed limit country roads my mind was easily made up.

The best thing you can do is to get a decent test drive in both cars. I did and having opted for the 182 I've absolutely no regrets. It's the first car I've owned where I haven't found myself thinking about swapping it for something else. :)

172 Cup
182 without a doubt. Have you even read any of the magazine reviews about the 150? Every review I've read has slated it... and what did the 182 do? Win title of 'Best Hot Hatch Ever'.. I think enough's been said.