ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 or Fiesta ST

Clio 172 mk2
rich172 said:
Whilst I don't particularly like the ST (and own a 172) The build quality of the ST is in my opinion better than the 172. I also think the handling of a standard "full fat" 172 Mk2 is overated too.

In a straight line I'd expect to leave the ST behind, I'm yet to be convinced that I'd do one on the twisties. My wife's Golf 2.0 GT TDi has less body roll than my 172, and that was before my rear shocks went west

Not overated at all

I don't know what what wrong with the Golf I drove then (2.0 TDi)...the handling was awful.

Oh yeah...both Focus and Fiesta ST models look s**t

106 GTi
At least the Fiesta ST has not got those horrible boy racer looking side skirts and awful silver detailing on it like the focus has.

LY 200
Tyson-182 said:
I think the new Polo GTi would give a 172/182 a better run for its money, plus its better built. Its just a smaller Golf GTi but with less power...Surely with a few tweaks would be very nippy!!

Tyson.

Yeah your right but for how much more money than the clio??

R

rich[182]

Well I've owned a full fat 172 from new, my only ever gripe has been the excessive body roll, even before my shocks went west. I can't speak for the cup or 182 variants but in my opinion the body roll and back-end nervousness of a full fat 172 on standard suspension is poor. Put it this way, I'd never take on a 106 GTi or a 306GTi or even a mildly modded Saxo VTS unless it was almost straight-line

Standard brakes are awesome, I can't say the same about standard shocks & spring setup

All IMHO

One with a few more
You know some of you people could be a little more polite than just completely salg other peoples cars off. While I dont like the renaultsports I have not done this about yours. I think a lot of people need to stop reading reviews from biased sources or random mags and actually compare the two properly. I have done that and the ST won out. I was unbiased when I started and then completely leaned toward the ST. And lmao at the 'cheap' comments. The renault sport is french! and cost a VERY similar price new

Claire said:
You know some of you people could be a little more polite than just completely salg other peoples cars off. While I dont like the renaultsports I have not done this about yours. I think a lot of people need to stop reading reviews from biased sources or random mags and actually compare the two properly. I have done that and the ST won out. I was unbiased when I started and then completely leaned toward the ST. And lmao at the 'cheap' comments. The renault sport is french! and cost a VERY similar price new

seen a fiesta st the other day .............looked quite nice really. completely black , did like the black meshed grills imo very nice ;)
performance to b desired though , but fast aint everything , specially wid the number of speed cams around .:star:

MINI JCW
Claire, who are you insured with?

Just asking becuase I noticed you are 19 and you said a 90bhp increase on the ST would only cost £500 more. Just wondering who you was with as it sounded good value.

thanks

One with a few more
Exactly. I can obviously understand the people with renaultsports who want the car for the speed (more so the track day frequenting crowd)
I wanted a bigger engine but didnt need anything too beefy or 'roaring'. The interior quality outdoes the Renaultsports and the options offered on my facelift model are fantastic (I have most of them). I prefer the Blue over all the Clio colours bar the pearl black.
I totally agree the Renaultsport is a nice car. But the 'basic' renaultsports just dont do it for me. I'm sick and tired of every renault I'v been in and the servicing on the ST is about £100 cheaper than my 1.2 from the dealer (Well it would be if I had to pay for servicing!) All in all its a bloody good deal regardless of my discount. And I'm dead pleased with my choice. I'm never going back to French cars - Ijust wont be able to take that plunge again.
In this case, a big factor in turning me off probably was the maker

One with a few more
gazcaddy said:
Claire, who are you insured with?

Just asking becuase I noticed you are 19 and you said a 90bhp increase on the ST would only cost £500 more. Just wondering who you was with as it sounded good value.

thanks
hiya, that increase would be at the end of the year (when I've had my birthday) with elephant - I've foud them to be really good value

MINI JCW
Claire said:

The ST is a good car but IMO it is underpowered and also weighs more than the 182. I dont think the ST is as good value for money as the 182 but that is mainly because of the difference in performance.

I see where the ST makes sense as its more refined, cheaper insurance but in this case it shouldnt have been the top of the fiesta range, it should have been 2nd behind a 200bhp Fiesta RS

But if performance isnt your main concern the ST makes good sense

MINI JCW
Claire said:
hiya, that increase would be at the end of the year (when I've had my birthday) with elephant - I've foud them to be really good value

thats very good value, I looked at how much by insurance would be with a 210bhp conversion on the 182 and they quoted me £500 extra! Im with elephant as well

One with a few more
I did want the extra weight though. I prefer the feel of the car that way! lol
And due to recent events I feel more secure feeling it may not roll so easy

lol, yes, a fiesta RS would be nice (with smaller bodykit) but alas that idea is no more!

One with a few more
gazcaddy said:
thats very good value, I looked at how much by insurance would be with a 210bhp conversion on the 182 and they quoted me £500 extra! Im with elephant as well
I guess because the kit itself gives those figures on the Focus. Its not guaranteed on the fiesta (though cosworth are certain thats what itll give)

MINI JCW
Claire said:
I did want the extra weight though. I prefer the feel of the car that way! lol
And due to recent events I feel more secure feeling it may not roll so easy

lol, yes, a fiesta RS would be nice (with smaller bodykit) but alas that idea is no more!

Yes very suprised there was no RS model, I remember Ford saying there wasnt demand for it, I find that strange though.

Have you driven a 172/182? the reason I ask is that IMO it feels very stable with very little roll, the speed you can carry few corners is very impressive. My brother used to have a 330ci and after back to back driving of each we both agreed that through roundabouts the 182 can carry so much more speed.

I cant comment on the ST as I have never driven one. My 2nd car is a Fiesta 1.4 diesel so Im not sure thats a fair comparison with the 182 in terms of handling

At the end of the day we are all different and it would be a very boring world if we all liked the same car

One with a few more
Yeh I have (had to take like a million cars out to decide) I have a bit of a stigma now with the Clios though. After that night standing on a hill seeing my car 10 metres below me on the roof and all my friends hospitalised jsut made me really nervous about them.
My dad has the 1.4 diesel. Its a slow pulling car but considering the way he corners it does handle surprisingly well

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Both cars look good in a hothatch kind of way but for the money the clio wins hands down.As ive said before the fiesta should of had 190-200bhp for the money and then you would of had a comparison...Just the spec alone on the clio wins it for me...

ian

F/F Titanium 182
After all of this the fiesta st is a good motor and well built, it won't catch up with my 182 and it won't frighten the elderly either. but is very well built. ford build quality is up ther with vw now so thats my opinion, good luck!!

Lux'd Glacier White R26
When i test drove the ST i couldn't help but think i was driving a tractor and that is coming from someone who drives a 182. The seat was soooo high!!

Also when you look at the centre console on the ST, i don't know about anyone else, but it reminds me of a face. Air vents are the eyes, hazad switch is the nose, and the space above the headunit is the mouth. I just couldn't live with it. See below:

stereo2.jpg

Tyson.

BMW 330d :)
Well countless mags cant be wrong. The clio is the better car. More fun to drive, faster and cheaper. If you want to go for a overweight, underpowered and more expensive fiesta then thats your choice. But dont come onto a clio site and start saying that the fiesta is a better car than the 182. It just isnt. End of ;)

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Claire said:
Well I've just traded in the Clio for the fiesta ST.
While I wanted a bigger engine - speed didnt drive me into a sportier hatch, its just useful on the motorway to have a 2litre.
I've now driven clio renault sport and ST. and I think the St is so much nicer to drive. To be able to corner hard without believing you are about to completely roll over is nice :)
The Ford dealers have sales service which is so so so so much better than renault. Renault have always been appalling - whereever I've gone.
The interior is better (its the facelift ST), I've had the older Fiesta - now same age as my old Clio. Oddly enough while my clio begun falling apart there is not one rattle or knock from the Fiesta. I prefer the driving position and the more 'grown up' feel of the car
There is a glorious range of included options and some really well priced extras too. The quickclear windscreen is a godsend when you dont want your AC blowing gale force on winter mornings. I cant fault the styling and am considering getting it modified through Cosworth up to 240 bph. My insurance only increases by 500 (STILL less than it is to get me on a renaultsport!) and the mod itself is pretty well priced. Alternatively I can go for 170 or 200 bhp.

I'm looking forward to the much better Ford service we always have recieved, as opposed to managers from Renault who have sworn at me down the phone in the past and come out with 'go on then, call trading standards, you wont get anywhere with a company like ours'

I still love Clios, always will. But theres been a few hairy moments down to the poor handling lately and I just need more safety. The two big accidents to have affected my life (my boyfriends and my mums friend) both involved Clios (one was mine) rolling when they should not have at all.

Some very conflicting points of view here. Firstly you say your looking forward to corning hard without worry of rolling over? Did you even try the RS hard into a corner? Its like a go cart,my 182 has hardly any body roll and i feel safe as can be in it. I had a ST for 4 weeks back in the UK and now looking back it cornered not nearly aswell IMHO.

All 172/182 come with fabulous options as you mention the ST does. Your accidents i presume came in the 1.2? But it seems your judging the RS by the same book,hardly unbias is it?

Claire said:
Yeh I have (had to take like a million cars out to decide) I have a bit of a stigma now with the Clios though. After that night standing on a hill seeing my car 10 metres below me on the roof and all my friends hospitalised jsut made me really nervous about them.
My dad has the 1.4 diesel. Its a slow pulling car but considering the way he corners it does handle surprisingly well

What caused the accident? I rolled (cart wheeled) a Leon Cupra R and went straight out and bought another one based on the premise that I walked away from it with a graze and bruise!!

Any car will roll in the right circumstances and those circumstances are often if you are carrying speed and the cars 'forward' motion is suddenly stopped, the kinetic engery will need to go somewhere and this often manifests itself as flipping the car....

From personal experience though I can tell you that the Trophy feels more stable in the corners than the LCR....

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Fiesta st looks nice...very nice. Thats as polite as i'll be.

as far as performance, build quality, reliability goes.... PMSL!
You get good ones and bad ones, same as any manufacturer. Ask loony on here, he's worked for BMW and even he says the same about their high end motors. And as for customer service being good from ford, you've got to be kidding me??!!
At the end of the day (it gets dark!;)) you are on a clio forum, so of course i'm going to be biased... I fookin love my car, in the time i've owned it, its only ever been into the dealer for one split pipe. Next to no reliability issues what so ever. And the same can be said for more than 5 of my mates who also own them!!!

renault trophy 182
st bit better on the looks side but power 182 all the way, just raced this lad in his st hes just had a full exhaust system with decat and filter fitted, 2nd gear round an island seen him boot it so i planted me foot bit of 1 second lagg then 5k kick came n i was up his arse went to go by n he cut me up, so i did him at the nxt island, 182 all the way

Clio 172 mk2
Tyson-182 said:
When i test drove the ST i couldn't help but think i was driving a tractor and that is coming from someone who drives a 182. The seat was soooo high!!

Also when you look at the centre console on the ST, i don't know about anyone else, but it reminds me of a face. Air vents are the eyes, hazad switch is the nose, and the space above the headunit is the mouth. I just couldn't live with it. See below:

stereo2.jpg

Tyson.

lol..that's really mad me chuckle...I can see what you mean and I couldn't live with that either:D

106 GTi
I feel sorry for any fiesta owners reading this - think how they are all going to feel staring at that face all the time now!

cock mobile.
Some of the comments on this thread are fantastic!

I especially like claire's comments

Claire said:
I wanted a bigger engine but didnt need anything too beefy or 'roaring'.

I thought that was funny enough, but then we get this:

Claire said:
and am considering getting it modified through Cosworth up to 240 bph

Can any spell con-tra-dic-tion :D

Anyway, I like the ST, but I much prefer my Cup, if you're happy with the car Claire, then it's all good, it's your money :)