ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 or Fiesta ST

172 Cup
Josh27 said:
Pumaspeed came close ;)

P5150118.jpg

P5150121.jpg

But yea, would have been nice of them to make the Fiesta RS. I reckon it would have sold by the bucket load!

Those arches look ok from the front, but f**king rediculous from the rear. Anyone agree? :S

Nissan 350Z
pecan said:
182 without a doubt. Have you even read any of the magazine reviews about the 150? Every review I've read has slated it... and what did the 182 do? Win title of 'Best Hot Hatch Ever'.. I think enough's been said.

I've seen at least one review now that stated the 1.6 Zetec S was actually nicer to drive than the ST.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
you also must remember this is a clio forum, there fore biased.

better off asking on an independant forum tbh.

172 Cup
pbirkett said:
I've seen at least one review now that stated the 1.6 Zetec S was actually nicer to drive than the ST.

For me that's a no-brainer, the ZS is an awesome car. Especially given the fact that you can get one for £3500 these days.

Crazy Clio said:
you also must remember this is a clio forum, there fore biased.

better off asking on an independant forum tbh.

Yeah i expect a bias view, although it may be the right view - the test drives will have to decide that :)

Its interesting to see that although I said I wasn't worried about the extra performance pretty much all the pro 182 owners justify it on speed.

I drive a 1.6 16v clio at the moment and its nice enough and the speed is fine, although a bit extra would be nice. If one thing is putting me off another clio its the rattles, creaky sunroof and the apparent awful after sales support.

172 Cup
Dazz said:
Its interesting to see that although I said I wasn't worried about the extra performance pretty much all the pro 182 owners justify it on speed.

It's a Renault, build quality is not it's strong point.. but that's not why we all bought one, if you want the most fun in a motor you can have for under £12,000ish then buy a 182. If you're worried about the boring aspects of motoring then buy the 150.. You'll be missing out if you do tho, imo.

Peugeot 207 GT THP
pecan said:
It's a Renault, build quality is not it's strong point.. but that's not why we all bought one, if you want the most fun in a motor you can have for under £12,000ish then buy a 182. If you're worried about the boring aspects of motoring then buy the 150.. You'll be missing out if you do tho, imo.

I'd have to agree. That's why I chose the 182 over the 150.

MINI JCW
182 everytime as long as performance, handling and fun are the top of your list, if your looking for something more comfortable and refined then go for the ST. As an hot hatch the 182 is far better value for money.

Yes you can tune the ST to 200bhp but insurance cost on that will be much higher than the 182.

X-172 Cup
not biased honest, in terms of performance there is no competition...182 everytime...
Fiesta does have better build quality and better residuals but come on Ford! 150 BHP from a 2.0 engine in a 'hot hatch' we know you can do better...from all accounts the chassis could easily cope with another 30-40 BHP...I like the interior of the ST too

I nearly shelved out 10k for a used ST but paid out less than 7k on a Cup and got better performance & handling...

A mate of mine has got a Ka sport thingy and he says it's more fun to drive than the ST Fiesta...

Last edited:
J

JACKO CUP 172!

get a 182 u will loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove it

jacko

RB + LY 182 FF
IMO the fiesta ST is not a patch on a clio 182. this thread should be 182 vs. focus ST that the decent car with a ford badge on the road at the moment. the fiesta is a poorer version and cheaper version of the focus for those who either cant drive a big car or cant afford the focus.
my dad has a blue focus ST3 and its gorgeous,i personally wouldnt even consider a fiesta ST when it WILL always get overshadowed by better cars such as the focus :)

Peugeot 207 GT THP
The Fiesta ST falls into the same class as the Clio 182 though, not the Focus ST. You can't really compare the new Focus ST to the Clio 182 as they're such different cars and the Focus costs a hell of lot more to buy.

Been out driving the ol'clio today and thinking how much fun the same car with another 72hp would be :)

Gonna have to wait and try the new cliosport coming out as well.

Lux'd Glacier White R26
ST
147 bhp
7.9 to 60
130 mph top speed

I would class the ST as a warm hatch compared to the 182.

180 bhp
6.7 to 60
140 top speed

Clear winner imo. Why do you think it won so many reviews, and awards?

Enough said.

Tyson.

Snotter's
id rather have the 182 but the st is easier to mod than the 182,a decent filter,decat and exhaust on the st will take power to around 170 bhp

Nissan 350Z
SOHROB said:
id rather have the 182 but the st is easier to mod than the 182,a decent filter,decat and exhaust on the st will take power to around 170 bhp

So having to spend extra money to end up with 10 bhp less is a good thing?

Snotter's
well yeah if the performance of it lets you down,the st as a car is good but the performance wasnt as good as it could have been

Clio 172 mk2
Nat8701 said:
IMO the fiesta ST is not a patch on a clio 182. this thread should be 182 vs. focus ST that the decent car with a ford badge on the road at the moment. the fiesta is a poorer version and cheaper version of the focus for those who either cant drive a big car or cant afford the focus.
my dad has a blue focus ST3 and its gorgeous,i personally wouldnt even consider a fiesta ST when it WILL always get overshadowed by better cars such as the focus :)

Both awful

Snotter's
how can you compare a focus to a fiesta !!! as for saying the fiesta is for people who cant afford a focus what a load of b****cks.Its not as if its that great or anything to aspire too

Clio 172 mk2
Different market isn't it....I'd say the Focus was more in competition with the Megane than the Clio.

The Fiesta doesn't coem anywhere hear the 182 in a lor of car tests.

Der Panzer
My neigbour has bought a Fiesta ST. Looks to be sitting really high. I'll try to get some photos.

Sadly he's not the sort I can get to attend a private stretch so I can match them up.

182 all the way.

The ST is easier to mod because it's already underpowered. If it had 180bhp it wouldnt be quite so easy to get gains from.

One with a few more
Well I've just traded in the Clio for the fiesta ST.
While I wanted a bigger engine - speed didnt drive me into a sportier hatch, its just useful on the motorway to have a 2litre.
I've now driven clio renault sport and ST. and I think the St is so much nicer to drive. To be able to corner hard without believing you are about to completely roll over is nice :)
The Ford dealers have sales service which is so so so so much better than renault. Renault have always been appalling - whereever I've gone.
The interior is better (its the facelift ST), I've had the older Fiesta - now same age as my old Clio. Oddly enough while my clio begun falling apart there is not one rattle or knock from the Fiesta. I prefer the driving position and the more 'grown up' feel of the car
There is a glorious range of included options and some really well priced extras too. The quickclear windscreen is a godsend when you dont want your AC blowing gale force on winter mornings. I cant fault the styling and am considering getting it modified through Cosworth up to 240 bph. My insurance only increases by 500 (STILL less than it is to get me on a renaultsport!) and the mod itself is pretty well priced. Alternatively I can go for 170 or 200 bhp.

I'm looking forward to the much better Ford service we always have recieved, as opposed to managers from Renault who have sworn at me down the phone in the past and come out with 'go on then, call trading standards, you wont get anywhere with a company like ours'

I still love Clios, always will. But theres been a few hairy moments down to the poor handling lately and I just need more safety. The two big accidents to have affected my life (my boyfriends and my mums friend) both involved Clios (one was mine) rolling when they should not have at all.

pbirkett said:
Clio Sport poor handling? LMAO.

Claire was referencing to a normal 1.2 and not a RenaultSport!

I used to drive a SEAT Leon Cupra R and changed it for a Trophy. My friend drives a 172 and when we went out for some twisty A/B road fun the Clio corners much quicker and the LCR needed it's brut force to keep in the running!

For Evo to put a £15,000 hot hatch up against an £80,000 M6 it's got to be pretty good and for the same hot hatch to the come in third behind the F430 and Ford GT (beating the Gallardo SE) it's got to have something going for it!?!?

The comment about the ST handling better than the Trophy was a little strange....

Clio 172 mk2
chiefsilverback said:
Claire was referencing to a normal 1.2 and not a RenaultSport!

I used to drive a SEAT Leon Cupra R and changed it for a Trophy. My friend drives a 172 and when we went out for some twisty A/B road fun the Clio corners much quicker and the LCR needed it's brut force to keep in the running!

For Evo to put a £15,000 hot hatch up against an £80,000 M6 it's got to be pretty good and for the same hot hatch to the come in third behind the F430 and Ford GT (beating the Gallardo SE) it's got to have something going for it!?!?

The comment about the ST handling better than the Trophy was a little strange....

Agree....for the Trophy to do so well Renault must have got the dynamics/handling spot on:D

106 GTi
What is the point of comparing an ST to a non Sport clio !? Thats like me comparing the 182 to a 1.0 Finnesse!

I've just checed and Evo gave the ST 3.5 stars whilst the 172s get 4.5 and the 182s all get 5 stars! The negative points on the ST are 'gutless engine' and 'dissappointing chassis'!

RenaultSport clio 182
Hahaha, comical thread. Fiesta St Is ugly cheap and crap, 172/182 would whoop an ST any day of the week. And the interior is RANK inside it. its standard ford crap interior all round. However Focus ST is a bit of a beast and sounds amazing

R

rich[182]

grahamk182 said:
Hahaha, comical thread. Fiesta St Is ugly cheap and crap, 172/182 would whoop an ST any day of the week. And the interior is RANK inside it. its standard ford crap interior all round. However Focus ST is a bit of a beast and sounds amazing

Whilst I don't particularly like the ST (and own a 172) The build quality of the ST is in my opinion better than the 172. I also think the handling of a standard "full fat" 172 Mk2 is overated too.

In a straight line I'd expect to leave the ST behind, I'm yet to be convinced that I'd do one on the twisties. My wife's Golf 2.0 GT TDi has less body roll than my 172, and that was before my rear shocks went west

Lux'd Glacier White R26
I think the new Polo GTi would give a 172/182 a better run for its money, plus its better built. Its just a smaller Golf GTi but with less power...Surely with a few tweaks would be very nippy!!

Tyson.