ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Suspension Refresh F + R

Right CS your advice is required please:

I'm thinking of giving the car a suspension refresh, it's a non cup packed 182 on Eibach Sportlines which has done 79,000 miles. There is no paperwork with the car to suggest that anything has been done to the suspension, bar the springs.

From searching I think the following would be required/desirable; wishbones/ball joints, inner rods, rod ends, top mounts, steering rack bushes, inner/outer ARB bushes and replace the shocks all round (172 cup spec). I had to buy some new sportlines as one of the rears had cracked so I will also be putting brand new springs on the front.

Is there anything that I have forgotten, got incorrect, or stuff that doesn't need doing etc? What are peoples opinion on going for OEM or Polybush, what works better? The car is used for weekend fun for half the year and then a daily driver for the other half.

I know that replacing it all might not be strictly necessary but I'd like to have the car driving like new, so think I might as well get the lot done at once. I wont be doing it myself so if anyone has an estimate on what it might cost/time a mechanic would take to do it all that would be useful too.

any help appreciated

cheers

Nick

182cup & 172 racecar
You are doing the right thing Nick. Normal bushes will suffice as well.

​The difference will be, wow.

Lotus Elise
The best thing you can do to be honest. The worst would be sticking cheap nasty coilovers on it.

It will drive like new.

Cheers Tony, Sam. Having just spent money on decent tyres it seems only fair that the rest of it is up to scratch too. I'm at BTM in the week to pick up a Yozza from Fred :) so I will see what he says about the cost/time etc.

CursedTitanium 182FF
You may already know, but just in case. Give Adam a ring on 01902 439264, he works at Renault Retail Group & has the BEST prices around.

53 Clio's & counting
The best thing you can do to be honest. The worst would be sticking cheap nasty coilovers on it.

It will drive like new.

As the bushy haired wonder has said, it will be literally like a new car - the difference is godsmacking and you will really see why they won so many road tests when they were new

Do it, it'll look sweet.

Obvious troll is trolling ;)

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
I am currently getting all the bits together at the moment, my bedroom is like a parts shop lol!

Its cost me around £450 for the front and rear dampers, front wishbones and ball joints, track rods inner and outers along with the steering rack bushes and ARB bushes.

Just need to order some top mounts now.

I am running CookSport springs and have also got a whiteline RARB ready for fitting too.

Should be like a new car once it's all fitted along with my brakes and other bits and bobs.

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Lawro, you planning on doing the work yourself?

I haven't decided yet, I still have a few bits to buy yet as I am getting everything fitted at the same time. Spent over £1400 on bits already, it all mounts up quickly! I expect I will get it all done in the next month or so, more than likely one of the CookSport lads will fit it all.

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Ah right, was wondering if you'd already done a bit of research into the man hours involved.

It will easily be a days work I expect. I have the full suspension refresh, engine mounts, RARB, front and rear brakes, braided lines, dog bone mount, decat, exhaust mounts, full service, geometry setup.. It's fair bit of work.