ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 towed by AA - how embarassing!

Inferno 182
No axe to grind, just fell foul of the impracticality of my 182 last weekend.
Last Sunday was a complete wash out for me and the missus because of the lack of spare on my 182.
I never thought it would be an issue not having a spare but I got a puncture after going over a piece of metal on the road. I was in the middle of nowhere, used the tyre foam to get me to the nearest Kwik fit - not much choice on a sunday!
Thing is, once there, they didn't have any tyres the right size, and neither did any other local depots. The tyre foam was useless because of the size of the rip in the tyre. Kwik Fit couldn't get my a tyre until Tuesday, so I had to call AA to tow me home. After I logged the call, they phoned me back and asked why I didn't have a spare, like they were refusing to come out, they wouldn't accept that a Clio didn't have a spare. An hour and half later the AA man arrived.
I didn't ever think the lack of a spare would be such a pain but with the tyres not being stocked many places it certainly made things difficult.
I also apologise to all Clio owners for letting the public see a cracking little car getting towed, probably thinking "French car's, always unreliable".
Hope it doesn't happen again, dreading another puncture like that one!

Many cars don't have spares these days.

It's always worth having a spare for trips that are important etc. I borrow my g/f's as her clio has a spare lol.

Peddled device
The rally 037 didn't have much room either.Why not try what Lancia did... ;)

Last edited:
  LY V6 with Recaros
This happened to my bf too, had to be towed to Kwik Fit but they didn't have the right tyres.

I don't have a spare either, mine has a can of tyre gunk and a mini 12v air compressor as standard. I wouldn't be able to fit a spare 15" wheel in the boot even if I wanted too tbh.
I don't think theres a jack in there either.

ST
No spare, jack or tool kit, the 'wheel brace' doesn't it the wheel bolts properly either...got 3 cans of foam but i wouldn't use it i'd just have the car recovered as it shags the tyre beyond repair...

Got 3 years AA cover with the car, i'll use if it i have too!!

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Obviously no spare here, and almost certainly wouldn't get on the standard low loader either. Rock n' roll!

Dan

VaVa
N95264.jpg

I know the feeling, albeit mine actually broke down (one broken wire in the loom between ECU and injector control Renault said)

about 200 miles back from Barmouth, Mid Wales.

Gutted because the drive down there was epic and the car had been awesome and I was actually really looking fowards to the drive home lol

Inferno 182
could of fitted any 16" tyre within reason, if it was cheap enough..

195/50/16 etc..

I was at Kwik Fit - no tyre is cheap there! Would have been a real waste of money putting the wrong tyre on just to save the hassle of getting towed home, for free. No way I would drive around with 1 odd tyre, can play tricks with the handling.
No harm done really, still loving the car!