ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Trophy > R27 F! 197

182 Trophy
Hi Guys

Im thinking of making the above change but do you think it will be worth it ? Do you think that coming from the trophy the R27 is going to feel slow heavy and a bit boatish ....

Im going to test drive one but i wanted peoples thoughts ... maybe evan from somone who has done the swap

Cheers

Sam

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I'd get as long a test drive as possible. All the people that have made the change will be very positive about the r27, as they bought it. A few people on rsport are going the otherway, so pro's and con's for both cars. I personally didn't click with the 197/r27, but a lot of people have, so try one for as long as possible, then make your mind up.

Lee

BMW M2C
I went from a Trophy to a 197 Cup and don't regret it for one minute. I did plenty of track days in the Trophy and covered 42k miles so I certainly enjoyed my time with it.

You need to get a decent test drive in a 197 to see what you think. If you get to drive it hard you'll really see just how stupidly capable it is, and all with that little bit of added comfort and improved build quality.

The 197 does feel heavy especially if you go between both cars. I remember doing that on a track day. The Trophy felt like it was going to take off after getting in it after the R27. The 197 doesn't feel as urgent as the Trophy did, but it's not any slower. It's power delivery is smoother and it pulls a lot harder from lower down the revs. There's still a small kick at 5k though it's not so noticeable. You'll love the way it sounds when being thrashed, and the gearbox is sweet as a nut after the massive throw on the Trophy.

It certainly won't feel like a barge though as it corners incredibly flat.

You'll be amazed by the brakes, which were the weakest thing on the Trophy IMO.

I love my Cup, and it certainly gets a lot more attention than the Trophy ever did. Which is both good and bad!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I went from a Trophy to a 197 Cup and don't regret it for one minute. I did plenty of track days in the Trophy and covered 42k miles so I certainly enjoyed my time with it.

You need to get a decent test drive in a 197 to see what you think. If you get to drive it hard you'll really see just how stupidly capable it is, and all with that little bit of added comfort and improved build quality.

The 197 does feel heavy especially if you go between both cars. I remember doing that on a track day. The Trophy felt like it was going to take off after getting in it after the R27. The 197 doesn't feel as urgent as the Trophy did, but it's not any slower. It's power delivery is smoother and it pulls a lot harder from lower down the revs. There's still a small kick at 5k though it's not so noticeable. You'll love the way it sounds when being thrashed, and the gearbox is sweet as a nut after the massive throw on the Trophy.

I love my Cup, and it certainly gets a lot more attention than the Trophy ever did. Which is both good and bad!
Think thats your face lee:eek:

Lee

BMW M2C

Think thats your face lee:eek:

Also both good and bad. lol

Back to the car though, my ex misses next door neighbour thought I'd added the wheels and body kit to the Cup. Luckily she's got massive tits so I let that comment slide. ;)

Golf R
i went from the Trophy to the R27.... great handling and i don't really notice the difference in size in a bad way.... handles great and like Lee says it delivers the power differently to the Trophy but still is anything but slow... great grin factor everytime :)

Clio 172 Flamer
i wundt bother keep the trophy, i nealy got tempted by a r27 i had a test drive and didnt rate it

tiTTy & SV650
I think you'll appreciate the better platform, but don't expect it to be faster, prob about the same pace in reality. More planted big time and far better looking than the trophy. Capsicum red does nothing for me.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Waste of money's a bit harsh! It's not my fav car (the 197) but plenty of people think they're fantastic, I think you need to have a good drive in the r27 before deciding. But if it's an option, I'd go R26.

Suzuki Swift Sport
I had an R27 and in my opinion its prob one of the most capable hot hatches out there. It really has to be driven hard to appreciate the chassis though. A quick drive in one wouldnt be enough to decide on it.