ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 with Cup Packs & Elephant.co.uk

Shhh

Rang them for a quote, and they asked about the car. I mentioned the car had the optional extras fitted such as

Lower Stiffer Suspension
Larger Rear Spoiler / Front Splitter
Different Coloured Wheels
Racing Stripes
And they asked me how lower was the suspension from standard. I explained it was the 182 Cup with the leather seats etc but he was not interested.

Does anyone know how lower the suspension is.? If its more than 50mm im not getting insured. They came back with about £750 Full Comp which is cheap, but a £600 if the car was normal.

Alias

I cant see how they can charge you extra for that, as they are factory fitted options at the end of the day and not aftermarket items.

If you declare them with elephant, they will go down as aftermarket bits, so in the event of a crash or being stolen they will not pay out for those parts!

I would go with someone else if i were you mate.

Yaris Hybrid

I am with Tesco, when asked if my car was modified I said "no its brand new straight from the factory". I expect they have that on tape and I reckon it covers me. They didnt even have the 182 on their system when I rang, they put it down as a 172 first of all and I had to phone up and get them to amend the documents! So they certainly dont have any info on Cup Packs and other optional extras.

Im with elephant. Had similar issue infact the car was not on the system I had to talk to managers and all sorts.

They are standard factory fit therefore you do not have to declare them as extras. The person you spoke to is confused he/she thinks you have added after market suspension reason I know this is cause I got asked the same standard questions when I advised them of my coilovers.

Just tell them you have a 182 and all will be good :)

[Edited by Sport182 on 01 April 2005 at 1:42pm]

I have hit 1000 posts!!!! :)

Shhh

^^^ Did that.

I mentioned thats how i come from the factory, but as they are extras from the standard 182 they need to be declared. He mentioned thats how they get the quotes so cheap. I prefer to have them declared as the extras push the price up on the resale. I basic 182 may only sell for £9k private, but with the extras & stripes i would like to think more £9,800 for a 04 plate.

Its far far cheaper than the rest ive tried. I will be 25 and 4yrs ncb with the car parked on a RAF base. Social & Commuting with 12,000miles per year. Passed test 03/02/00 with bike in 1998. No accidents claims, nor convictions.

Gf and mum on policy too. Gf is 29 mum is 40 odd..no accidents claims nor convictions.

Clio 182 soon to be swapped to a Megane Scenic

Lee

BMW M2C

Keep calling until you get someone who knows what they are doing. Factory fitted extras are covered under the value of the car.

I went through all that crap with Tesco. First Alternative were fine, I pointed out I had factory fitted options and they stated they are covered with by the overall value.

dk

911 GTS Cab

i have had major problems with this too and in the end I just did a quote with First Alternative on the web and got past all the awkward questions they ask by not haveing to answer them.

There is a tick box, Is your Car Modified from New To which I replied NO as it isnt, its as it came out of the factory.

Job done!

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

would you tell them if you had the sat nav fitted ..... no ..... so why would you tell them about any other factory options? when you tell them the value of the car surely that should represent the price of the car including any options fitted when new (i.e sat nav, 6 disc changer, etc... etc..). if there was a claim you would send in the original bill from the dealers with all the options purchased at the time.

elephant will charge you to add the optional extras but will not replace them if crashed!! shower of w"£kers!! go wi greenlight there the dogs!!!

^^ AS above just tell them how much the car is worth. You do not have to tell them they only have an option on there system for after market bits.

They will just charge you as if they were after market and boost your premium.

I spent 2hrs on the phone to them!!

I had exactly the same conversation with Elephant on a 182 with cup packs. Unfortunately you have to describe the car to the best of your ability. Aftermarket or not, it does not change your obligation to tell them what the car is. What they do with the information is then their choice. If they choose to put the premium up with the cup packs that is their choice. As it is then your choice whether or not you want to accept the quote.

This I know as I too have spent a long, long time on the phone to them in Wales and India going through it. I got a quote for a 182 with Cup packs which was about £40 less than my prev car (Evo VIII, MR FQ340). Despite me talking to two sales people, a customer svcs person and a cust svcs mgr, they would not budge. Thats their choice and I made my choice!

Graham

BTW as I am getting a straight 182 Cup, the elephant quote for that is actually one of the cheapest I subsequently got!

I had exactly the same problem. Elephant just wouldnt accept that it wasnt modified. I got a quote from Sainsburys which was a bit cheaper, and I also got written confirmation from them which says they dont class the cup packs as modifications. I also found that Sainsburys will cover you on a courtesy car free of charge, but Elephant wanted to charge me. Needless to say Im insured with Sainsburys now!

Renault Laguna Coupe

Just dont mention the Cup packs - its not modified - thats all they need to know. Dont need to mention ID packs on a V6, or luxury packs on a Megane. Youre just talking yourself into trouble!

S1 Elise 111S

ive been with elephant since may and they had the 182 on the system back then. The guy i spoke to had no trouble understanding that i had not modified the car and that the cup packs were factory options. wierd huh?

I think you are wrong Mike. The law obliges you to disclose anything that could be relevant to the insurance risk. Suspension changes and spoiler changes are changes from the standard 182 spec and are certainly performance related. It would be hard to argue (for example) thay they dont affect risk.

I would personally much rather disclose all and not get into a fight later than not disclose and potentially risk being uninsured.

There is enough competition (as we have seen on this thread) that you can find ins cos who will not load the premium for the cup packs.

By definition, if Elephant raise their premium on declaration of he cup packs, then it needed to be told to them!

We always have the ultimate choice...go somewhere else.

Graham

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by gridgway on 02 April 2005

I think you are wrong Mike. The law obliges you to disclose anything that could be relevant to the insurance risk. Suspension changes and spoiler changes are changes from the standard 182 spec and are certainly performance related. It would be hard to argue (for example) thay they dont affect risk.

I would personally much rather disclose all and not get into a fight later than not disclose and potentially risk being uninsured.

There is enough competition (as we have seen on this thread) that you can find ins cos who will not load the premium for the cup packs.

By definition, if Elephant raise their premium on declaration of he cup packs, then it needed to be told to them!

We always have the ultimate choice...go somewhere else.

Graham
but where does it end? Insurers are interested in financial risk, not mechanical risk. For example a V6 with leather pack costs about 3k more than standard, but theres no requirement to declare it. I wonder how the BMW guys get on - their cars are just 4 wheels and an engine from the factory, everything else is extra.

It could be argued that Cup suspension makes the car safer, if it does what it says on the tin...

good debate.

Renaultsport 220T

Im insured with Elephant, which to my surprise was £100 cheaper than Bell, wich is their sister company, and at the time of insuring I discussed the cup pack on the car and the sales rep informed me that as long as it came from the factory it is classed as standard. So he didnt charge any more.

I guess it just depends on getting someone knowledgeable or not.

Good point Mike.

haha this company is a joke i had a 172 cup smashed that up i was 23 full comp 1 year no claims and paying 1740 for the year then got a 182 with the insurance money and they insured me for 1240 with no claims bonus how thick are these people bloke said cos it has abs i just laughted and said do u think that will stop u all the time ???? they also took 3 months to settle and gave me no cover car so as soon am my insurance is low ill switch to someone like direct line expensive but dont mess about

Shhh

Cheap they are, ive tried many insurance companies and no luck in getting it close.

Think im going to have to give in and pay the man.

Quote: Originally posted by 182WRC on 02 April 2005

Im insured with Elephant, which to my surprise was £100 cheaper than Bell, wich is their sister company, and at the time of insuring I discussed the cup pack on the car and the sales rep informed me that as long as it came from the factory it is classed as standard. So he didnt charge any more.

I guess it just depends on getting someone knowledgeable or not.

Good point Mike.
Hit the nail on the head there!! End of the day if you wanna spend hours trying to explain it so some monkey its up to you. There really is no need.

106 GTi

The thing here with the cup packs is as enthusiasts we know the car has them, Joe Bloggs buys a 182, to him its a 182, the dealer/salesman may say about the cup packs, but I bet when they phone up the insurance company it gets insured as a 182.

When I insured mine i was asked weather it was a 182 or 182 cup, these must be the two options they have on there screen.

By the way, my renewal with Admiral (same company as Elephant) is over £700 with 5 years NCB.

Just tried Privilege and its coming out as £550 with my other half as a named driver - makes no difference whether its my mum or not.

just got my car insurance changed over to a 182 with admiral, the guy i spoke to in india or where ever did not have a 182 listed so he juststuck it down as a 172 again & chargedmy £16.32 extra for the insurance.

I had to go through the underwriting department and argue with them they kept saying they didnt think it existed "you mean 172 sir?" lol Im picking one up tomorrow you ass, in the end they found it and sent out a cover note... FOR A CUP !!

In fairness they couriered out the correct one same day so I was insured!! didnt really have much choice cause I was going mad!

Quote: Cheap they are, ive tried many insurance companies and no luck in getting it close.

Theyre cheap for a reason. Its just taken them eight months to pay out after a guy rear ended my car. There was no dispute from the third party or his insurer, but there was massive incompetence from Elephant. Every department I dealt with showed spectacular levels of disinterest, and whenever they did pull their finger out they only seemed to make matters worse.

It eventually took over 70 communications to get them to do their job properly.

I wouldnt recommend them.

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

i would say its standard even if it has the cup bits, they are factory fitted so not mods as such.

im certainly not when i get my 182

Mr2 Roadster

AT BMW even the seats and stereo are extras, would you delare that to your insurance?

do a search about elephant and the bmw mini!!!

theyve been having LOTS of probs with them as elephant treat the chilli etc packs as MODS!!!!!

and if u do the quote online and go into the mods page ull see that they have some mini packs listed!

and if u phone up their advisors they are usless!! well i phone up i always end up speaking to an elephant! instead of a human ;)