ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

19 in 6 months, what car to get?

Clio Extreme 3
mk3 clio? 1.6 or diesel? diesel more torque which feels quicker too.

yeah man iv thought about the 1.6, but nearly everyone says its a waste of time as i will just end up buying it, spending loads doing it up, and at the end of the day still be dissapointed with it as i could have spent the car + mods money on a 1*2 and have the car i wanted

Clio Extreme 3
anyway lol back on topic, this has veered way off! i wasnt after financial or insurance advice ;) end of the day..my car, my money, my risk - stupid or not. Its a risk im willing to take for the car i want. but thats just me!

what other hot hatches are decent then, apart from GSI, 1*2 etc

mate, at 19 for a 172 or a 182 you'll be looking at about 4000 insruance
at 19 you cant get insured on a 2.0 or a 1.8gti model.
anything insurance group 14+ is impossible

Clio 2.0 172
mate, at 19 for a 172 or a 182 you'll be looking at about 4000 insruance
at 19 you cant get insured on a 2.0 or a 1.8gti model.
anything insurance group 14+ is impossible

Well he's wrong! :lolup: As I got my 172 when i was 18 with 1 years no claims and my insurance is £1500 fully comp,holding my own insurance policy and come renewal time it will be going down to approximately £680 fully comp at 19 with 2 years no claims.

As for the Astra GSI I can insure one at 19 with 2 years no claims for £1257 yet an Astra VXR is only £118 a year more. And the Astra GSI is a group 15,but was still alot more for me to insure than the 172 was when i got it first

ST
01223660-photo-pochette-frontin.jpg

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
At 19 most cars are within reach tbh, depends how committed you are to shopping around and most importantly the area you live in.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
lol at all the people saying you will kill yourself in the clio 182 SUPER CAR!!! maby if it was a 320bhp turbo rear wheel drive car you would kill yourself, you would need to be a mongo to crash something as predictable as a clio!

i had my 172 when i was just about to turn 18, cost me a bomb to insure 3rd party, fuel was much the same, servicing was much the same, tax was a bit more but overall doesnt cost that much to run with exception of the insurance at that age.

im partial to a turbo too but not the astra they are gash.

dont bother with the 1.6 16v as good little cars as they are the 172 is a completely different league in handling, speed, power delivery thats before you get to looks and extra kit. not worth the money in your situation.

what about starlet glanza if your into the looks (they are marmite, i love them), 106 GTi,rallye or xsi is a shout as is a VTS saxo but mk1 172s are getting that cheap these days its hard to consider one when you can have the clio. or theres always cheap 1.5 civics with B18 conversions cutting about on ebay etc they are cheap fun!

BMW M Lite
Saxo VTS/106 gti insurance is aprox £150-200 cheaper, i cant see any advantages of having one over a CS, imo they look worse, handle worse, less power, less room inside, they are everywhere, and talking of me crashing...id probably walk away from a write off in a clio..not sure about a saxo?!

Very brave comment. But not as brave as it is naive!

How much are you actually looking to spend? Surely thats quite a big factor??

Clio 197 + Mrk 3 DCI
Bit of a generalisation.

I'll agree, at 19 you're not exactly a qualified driver, but the Clio RS isn't that hard to tame!

I bought my 172 when I was 19, I'm now 20 and really don't think I've got a car that's 'that' special. It's the fastest out of my uni friends, but still no Veyron!

On a slightly different note, my insurance renewal is coming up this January and the best quote I've had is £890 f.c, that's me being twenty and a half :eek: with 3 years nc bonus. I think that's rather good tbh!

Course its special, its faster than most cars on the road, its an awsome little car! When I first had my 172 (at 25) I was over the moon and found it a monster to control when voertaking on country roads. @ 27 im still learning my 197. They arnt toys, they are litteraly lethal in the hands of a 19YO that tend to push the limits further i.e putting others in danger rather than theirselves. There are some sensible ones our there, but I can guarantee once you have that power, your gonna want to test it

MCS R56
Course its special, its faster than most cars on the road, its an awsome little car! When I first had my 172 (at 25) I was over the moon and found it a monster to control when voertaking on country roads. @ 27 im still learning my 197. They arnt toys, they are litteraly lethal in the hands of a 19YO that tend to push the limits further i.e putting others in danger rather than theirselves. There are some sensible ones our there, but I can guarantee once you have that power, your gonna want to test it

That's exactly the issue, people think this and it all goes tits up!

And it's really not.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I would go for it, i always wanted to, but could never afford it until i was 23. Now i have may cup I love it. Just take your time getting the feel for the extra power etc...

I would consider a 172 or 172 cup tho just save yourself some money. The 182 is prob better looking but probably attracts more attention. I would try and get full comp tho. If you shop around i reckon will find a good deal somwhere.

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
I made some horrendous mistakes at that age, in a faster car I have no doubts that more than likely I would have written it off or seriously hurt somebody.

I'm almost grateful I couldn't/can't afford anything remotely fast. Also I'd be gutted if I knicked it in any sort of way. Keep a heap until 21+ imo.

320d
19 yo in a 182, somones going to end up dead or broken, no offence! :)

Are you on glue? For a start you don't know about his driving attitude or abilities and secondly they are not a supercar.

There are loads of members on here with 1*2's at 19, myself included, some have had them at 17.

Trophy #490
19 yo in a 182, somones going to end up dead or broken, no offence! :)

Eh? How exactly? I had mine even younger than that, and I'm still here and I certainly didn't crash it. Just because a young person has a relatively fast car does not mean they're going to crash it!

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Can o' worms really.

Chance of accidents will increase greatly with a faster car, combine that with total lack of experience and it's not a good mixture.

You lot who had them at an early age may just have been lucky.

Again though, this is just one reason why I personally wouldn't recommend it, never mind the running costs/maintenence/repairs and insurance.

Tav

Clio 197
Are you on glue? For a start you don't know about his driving attitude or abilities and secondly they are not a supercar.

There are loads of members on here with 1*2's at 19, myself included, some have had them at 17.

Not a super car but you can get yourself into trouble in anything, having a 182 just makes it easier than a normal shopping car. If you've only past your L-test and you are young then there is a high probability that with the wrong attitude you are ill-equipped for the responsibility. The same can be said of someone older as well.

320d
Not a super car but you can get yourself into trouble in anything, having a 182 just makes it easier than a normal shopping car. If you've only past your L-test and you are young then there is a high probability that with the wrong attitude you are ill-equipped for the responsibility. The same can be said of someone older as well.

I accept your point. I understand you can crash anything. However people making comments that if you drive a 1*2 under the age of about 21 you will crash because its simply not true.

Even if you do crash it may not be down to what car you drive. For example I do most of my driving in town, chances are if I had a bump it would be rear ending somebody or something like that a relitavely minor bump. I'm no more likely to do that in a 172 than a 1.2, its a matter of not concentrating because I drive my 172 no faster than my 1.2 on 90% of occasions because there simply isnt enough space and I like my licence.

I will admit when out for a blast you could be more likely to stack it. The 1*2's do have better brakes and handling than the lower models though so you are better equipt on the road which could make you safer.

Audi S1
I hate it when people say if you drive a 1*2 at a 17-18-19 ur going to crash.

f**k off, you don't no the person so who are you to judge?!? Maybe because most of the young boys who live around your areas burn around your estate doesn't mean everyone is like it.

First rule on CS dont say your under the age of 20 and thinking of buying a 1*2 and if you do, don't listen to the people who say otherwise.

In my first post I said get a saxo VTR or a 106GTI - they were suggestions, you don't have to listen to me. 1*2 are fast cars yeh but theres faster out there.

I've been driving my clio for almost 2 yrs AND im 19.

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Calm down mate, everyone's just giving their two pence that's all!

Hopefully the OP can take all the info and weigh up the pros and cons and decide what's best for himself.

Audi S1
Its the same with all these sorta of threads though... people telling him not to get a 1*2 because its to fast lol....

Im sure most of the people on here arn't experts at driving themselves!

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Not experts no, but it's not just being good at handling your machine that makes you a good driver. Decision making etc makes that too.

If you're in a faster car then you're more likely to overtake, if you're younger you may not be wise to how to do it properly and safely = disaster.

Anyway that's trailing. I mainly wouldn't get one because of the money side of things. Would I get one if I could afford it? Yes, yes I would.