ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

19 in 6 months, what car to get?

DB.

BMW 440i
Im 19 and have a RB 182. Well worth it mate.

I drive it alot more sensible than my old 1.4! I used to go sideways round turns/roundabouts all the time in that.

Im actually a much safer driver now. All the haters that had crap cars when they were 19 are the only ones complaining tbf. Jelousy!

320d
In reply to the OP I would get what you want and can affort.

Driving experience is valuable but on the otherhand I have seen peole who have been driving for decades, badly. But always quote how long they've been driving for. Same with anything I.e. Work, if your young you can never be better at anything than an older person...

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Running costs would be my reason TBH, Just because you can manage to buy and insure a car doesn't mean you can 'afford it'

When we were younger my mate decided to buy a £9,000 porche boxster, which was the cheapest around at the time, he could just manage to insure it. So he taxed it (Ouch) then it needed a service (ouch) and two new tires, big wheels = ouch, then he had a mechanical problem and by this time he had already spent in excess of £1200, and he had to sell it.

I know a 1*2 isn't a Porche, all I'm saying is, running costs are often overlooked and ignored because you can't see past the fact that you could actually own one.

If you really can afford it then go for it!

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
@ 19 he may not think about all the running costs though (as Craigus said).

Hope you fully consider the financial implications before you make a decision mate.

Audi S1
Basically tax is £235 (i think), MOT £50, Petrol £45 a week (gets me 220miles) all depends on how hard you push the pedal/distance you drive.

So your looking at around £250 running it (tax n mot inc) then insurance which in your case is £1200iish which is another £100

So thats roughly £350 a month not inc a raining day.

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
You forgot any mechanical repairs. Belts, tyres, etc

That's what adds up. I've spent £250 on my 1.2 in repairs in the past month.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R

I drive it alot more sensible than my old 1.4! I used to go sideways round turns/roundabouts all the time in that.

Im actually a much safer driver now. All the haters that had crap cars when they were 19 are the only ones complaining tbf. Jelousy!

You will love the rear wheel drive 182 now then eh?

Audi S1
Only telling the OP how it is - everyone is saying only get it if you can afford it or your young ull crash yada yada.

Firstly, 182 Cups are gay. Get a Cupped 182.

Secondly, I haven't read the thread, but at 19 you should be getting drunk and slipping it into sluts. Not wasting it all on a car.

Focus ST
Weigh up what you can realistically and comfortably afford to insure, run and maintain

Would be nice to have a 182 at 19 yes... but do the sensible thing and weigh it all up first

I was 19 and had an M packed 3 series.... slow as f*ck but it did the job for me at 19 year old :D

Clio 197 + Mrk 3 DCI
That's exactly the issue, people think this and it all goes tits up!

And it's really not.

I cant see how you can actually say that, and coming from a tractor driver to! If you think about all the other cars for the same purchase price and running cost, there isnt much that can beat it!!!

MCS R56

Very.

MCS R56
I cant see how you can actually say that, and coming from a tractor driver to! If you think about all the other cars for the same purchase price and running cost, there isnt much that can beat it!!!

You said "Course its special, its faster than most cars on the road, its an awsome little car!"

A Gallardo is faster than most cars on the road. Okay, there might be one zillion 1.3 Ladas in the Eastern Block that it's faster than but that's not what you meant. And my tractor will happily show your 197 a clean pair of heels. And btw, I've owned a Clio Sport.

I did actually say that performance v costs are good on the 1*2's on this thread but they are what they are.

And what does your DCi run on?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
OP - at the end of the day, it's up to you !

If you're sensible enough, then get a 172 (other derivatives are available!) and take it easy to start with and try to keep out of ditches.

I know people who have had silly cars like 300ZX's at 19, and aside from the silly running costs (3k insurance lol!), are still alive to tell the tale. I also know people in their 30s who I wouldn't let move my car out of a parking space, let alone drive it near other cars haha!

Rb 182 ff
im in the same situation as you mate im 19 and been looking at 182s but i havnt made up my mind on what i want to do yet

Clio Extreme 3
firstly, thanks to all who have been helpfull!

secondly, with regards to maintenence...as i said before, i work 6 days a week as a full time mechanic, so...
.Servicing/repairs - all ill be paying is the TRADE price of the parts, and doing all the work myself, so that equates to trade price parts and free fitting
.Belts - again, TRADE price for a cambelt kit, costs nothing to fit
.Tyres/Brakes/Consumables - TRADE price and free fitting
.MOT's - Free

etc..

House is 1-2 miles from work, so commuting will use hardly any fuel

so in answer to everyone who seems to be doubting my financial situation, you can now answer that for yourselves.

182 FF
In all honesty i don t think the running costs are bad at all,i actually got mine as i wanted something nippy and cheap to run which it is!
The problem you ve got to weigh up is that if you can t afford to insure the car fully comp how can you afford to lose 5-6k(average 182 price)if something does happen?
And it doesn t have to be your fault,if somebody crashes into it while parked and nobody sees it you ll have to foot the bill!
Think very carefully how much you can afford to lose!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R

secondly, with regards to maintenence...as i said before, i work 6 days a week as a full time mechanic, so...
.Servicing/repairs - all ill be paying is the TRADE price of the parts, and doing all the work myself, so that equates to trade price parts and free fitting
.MOT's - Free

etc..

so in answer to everyone who seems to be doubting my financial situation, you can now answer that for yourselves.

This will do precisley the opposite of return good fuel economy.

F4R engines ideally need atleast a mile of steady driving before itll get into a consistent mpg...

If i lived less than 2 miles from work i wouldnt bother driving personally!

Last edited:
  328, MK1 Clio 1.4

.MOT's - Free

etc..

Wasn't doubting it mate, just trying to help you, but it seems you will be able to run it pretty cheap,

MCS R56
This will do precisley the opposite of return good fuel economy.

F4R engines ideally need atleast a mile of steady driving before itll get into a consistent mpg...

If i lived less than 2 miles from work i wouldnt bother driving personally!

But 24 miles per week commuting isn't gonna cost much, which is what he obviously means.

Titanium 182
Course its special, its faster than most cars on the road, its an awsome little car! When I first had my 172 (at 25) I was over the moon and found it a monster to control when voertaking on country roads. @ 27 im still learning my 197. They arnt toys, they are litteraly lethal in the hands of a 19YO that tend to push the limits further i.e putting others in danger rather than theirselves. There are some sensible ones our there, but I can guarantee once you have that power, your gonna want to test it

Don't get me wrong, I love my little Ruby (172... ahem), but it's not an animal on the road. I personally thing they're very controlable cars, as long as you don't provoke them too much. As with just about any car tbh!

You can spin a 1.0ltr Nissan Micra and crash if you want to.

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)

.MOT's - Free

etc..

LOL why didn't you mention that! Go for it then son, you clearly are familiar with cars and you can get maintenance cheaper. You're not a student c*nt which is what I'm assuming we all thought you were. Good luck!

Dynamique Flamer
I don't understand this, I am the same age as OP and my ins renewal fully comp on a 1.poo is like £1,300. Ok I had a minor parking issue this year so have no NC and my renewal has gone up from last year. But I could not afford to not have a car. TPF&T is not worth it IMO you might as well not have any INS.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
If you can afford it, which it seems you can, and you want it then just go ahead and buy it.

I don't understand this, I am the same age as OP and my ins renewal fully comp on a 1.poo is like £1,300. Ok I had a minor parking issue this year so have no NC and my renewal has gone up from last year. But I could not afford to not have a car. TPF&T is not worth it IMO you might as well not have any INS.

MY 182 isnt costing much more than my old 1.2 to insure tbh.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
But 24 miles per week commuting isn't gonna cost much, which is what he obviously means.

No but short journeys like that kill it, the car wont get a proper chance to warm up/settle before it actually turns out above 30mpg etc

Short journeys in any car are the achillies heel as im sure your aware never mind a 2.0l petrol.

Imo ofcourse :)

320d
Even if the car only gets 25mpg during the week its still only going to cost him a fiver to get to work and back all week. Low mileage and low mpg arnt a problem. Its high mileage and low mpg thats the problem.

MCS R56
No but short journeys like that kill it, the car wont get a proper chance to warm up/settle before it actually turns out above 30mpg etc

Short journeys in any car are the achillies heel as im sure your aware never mind a 2.0l petrol.

Imo ofcourse :)

You are right but it will still be a cheap commute (24 miles at 30mpg ain't gonna break the bank) and the car should be fine. A push bike would be better though!