ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

19 in 6 months, what car to get?

'99 Vectra 1.8
ha ha put your c***s away fellas, there's no need to be waving them around

to the original point, if you're young, earning plenty of money and don't have any major outgoings go and blow your cash on a fast car now... if you wreck it you learn from your mistakes

PS 200
ha ha put your c**ks away fellas, there's no need to be waving them around

to the original point, if you're young, earning plenty of money and don't have any major outgoings go and blow your cash on a fast car now... if you wreck it you learn from your mistakes
Unless you're Dead :dead:

But hey - it's not for others to tell anyone what to do.

Advice is just that - If I could have afforded a Porche at 19 - I'd have got one without a second thought.

Life aint a rehearsal :cool:

Clio 197 + Mrk 3 DCI
Gaz, dude, calm down...seriously you have bitten at every wind up ive thrown at you...hence my "smilies" in each of my comments. Chill out dude! Just because you drive a slow car doesnt mean you need to condem those who drive faster ones.... lol

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i love this attitude on CS that because its a diesel it could never compete with the mighty 197, however, my old 172 which would quite comfortably be quicker than a 197 in a straight line got passed by a modified ibiza tdi one night. so i dont see what the confusion is, of course a mega torque modified ibiza is going to be quicker than a standard 197.

i agree its stupid arguing about a standard car vs a modified car however.

Clio 197 + Mrk 3 DCI
i love this attitude on CS that because its a diesel it could never compete with the mighty 197, however, my old 172 which would quite comfortably be quicker than a 197 in a straight line got passed by a modified ibiza tdi one night. so i dont see what the confusion is, of course a mega torque modified ibiza is going to be quicker than a standard 197.

Oh dont you start the 172 / 197 debate! I sugest you go test drive a 197. I sold my 172 for my 197..... Im going to end it there

PS 200

My Impreza STi got passed by a bus once - mind you I caught the cnut in the twisties :D.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Agreed on all points. Although comments like..."I cant see how you can actually say that, and coming from a tractor driver to!" fromidiots who think their Clio is the best car on the road and faster than most cars, when my diesel would leave it. Not too worry...

19 and buying a Clio, eh?! Good one!

This is a Clio forum and believe it or not people will favour there Clio's to anything in a traffic light grand prix be it a daewoo nexia or an M3.

Right so your car would 'leave' a 197 standing. Yes its modified id expect so, however the other 95% of Cupras that are in standard form would stand no chance? So whats the point of comparing???

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Oh dont you start the 172 / 197 debate! I sugest you go test drive a 197. I sold my 172 for my 197..... Im going to end it there

hence why i said i agree its stupid arguing about a standard car against a modified one, my MODIFIED 172 had more power and more torque than your heavier 197, hence why it was quicker, i was pointing out if an ibiza TDi passed my 172 then it would pass a 197.

clio 182
Do it if you love driving.Alot worse things you could waste your money on,Clio sport is alot safer than a saxo,don't worry about third party insurance just make sure you have fun in safe places.If your thinking turbo have a look at seat Ibiza cupra (mk 3s) ace solid engines,have nice interior,rare and I'm missing my old1 like mad! Lol just my opinion.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
people will slate a young driver for driving a 172/182 but heres what i found coming from my 1.2 16v.

i had more power to make overtakes without them becoming dangerous
i had traction control to assist me if i ever got slightly out of control (being 17 at the time!!)
i had big 280mm brakes that would stop me with ease if needed
i had a car that handled that well you had to be a complete loony on the road to get it out of shape considering the lack of experiance i had driving fast, i was not willing or able to push the car hard enough to get it to its limits.

use the power to get you out of trouble not in trouble

Clio Extreme 3
OMG what have i started here, its gone from what car should i get, to financal, to a diesel vs petrol debate, then to a 1*2 vs 197 debate :eek: and everything inbetween!

Ok then, maybe i was jumping the gun with a newer, more expensive RB 182 cup, would it make more sense to get a cheaper PH2 172 then if im going TPFT? (not after a PH1 before its suggested) whats an acceptable mileage for one? the cheaper ones seem to be around 60k miles

Jon

OMG what have i started here, its gone from what car should i get, to financal, to a diesel vs petrol debate, then to a 1*2 vs 197 debate :eek: and everything inbetween!

Ok then, maybe i was jumping the gun with a newer, more expensive RB 182 cup, would it make more sense to get a cheaper PH2 172 then if im going TPFT? (not after a PH1 before its suggested) whats an acceptable mileage for one? the cheaper ones seem to be around 60k miles

Jon
I wouldn't go tpft on a 172/182 at all. If the car cost over a grand (which it will) go full comp.

- i've only read a bit of this thread, play nice folks !

MCS R56
Gaz, dude, calm down...seriously you have bitten at every wind up ive thrown at you...hence my "smilies" in each of my comments. Chill out dude! Just because you drive a slow car doesnt mean you need to condem those who drive faster ones.... lol

You think I get wound up chatting on an online forum? I'm winding you up with my replies, I just don't care for the animation. The 197 is a great car but it's not fast enough. Deal with it...lol

This is a Clio forum and believe it or not people will favour there Clio's to anything in a traffic light grand prix be it a daewoo nexia or an M3.

Right so your car would 'leave' a 197 standing. Yes its modified id expect so, however the other 95% of Cupras that are in standard form would stand no chance? So whats the point of comparing???

As I said, I agree, there is no point comparing modded v un but I wasn't so much comparing as responding to the tractor comment (funny as it was!) and that this here tractor will see off a 197. Simple.

Apologies to the OP for completely ruining this thread but hey, what do you expect on here?

The Clios are fantastic cars and having owned one, I can see why they are liked. However, there are other cars out there that can out-perform them and a lot of people seem to think that this is not possible.

So, 19 with the cash to purchase a Clio...do it! Or buy a diesel, mod it for cheap and quite literally smoke Clios all day long!

:mad:

182 FF

Jon[/quote]
As i said before the amount you want to spend will be down to how much you can afford to lose if anything happens to it if only covered 3rd party:S

Clio 197 + Mrk 3 DCI
You think I get wound up chatting on an online forum? I'm winding you up with my replies, I just don't care for the animation. The 197 is a great car but it's not fast enough. Deal with it...lol

How fast does a car have to be to be "fast enough"? I mean....human mentality historicly will always be searching for the next step, i.e faster vehicle in this case. So saying a car is not "fast enough" is almost as daft as saying infinity indeed has an end. I think youve just evolving the wrong way down the evolutionay chain by going for a seat TDI ;)...oh sorry, I forgot the "CUPRA"

Back to THREAD subject though......
I think a 172 will be more than adequate, great car, quick and easy to mod!

LY V6 & Fiesta ST
Tbh i would not go TPFT, you pay over a £1K and if you bin it (lets hope not) you will then have a bill for increased insurance and a new car. Like some have said get a ph2 172 and go fully comp on insurance, keep it a while then look at trading up.
The clios are not about punishing straight line speed anyway, its about the handling. And i will admit that of the line my old 197 cup had real problems with diesels, like the 170bhp golf (or any other vag variant), the more powerful vectras, but i now have a secrect weapon to shoot them down!

Where did you get your cheapest quote from as im looking for a 172 when im 19 and the cheapest is 1760 F/C through bell and its only £100 less for TPFT

MCS R56
How fast does a car have to be to be "fast enough"? I mean....human mentality historicly will always be searching for the next step, i.e faster vehicle in this case. So saying a car is not "fast enough" is almost as daft as saying infinity indeed has an end. I think youve just evolving the wrong way down the evolutionay chain by going for a seat TDI ;)...oh sorry, I forgot the "CUPRA"

Back to THREAD subject though......
I think a 172 will be more than adequate, great car, quick and easy to mod!

That was a poor attempt at being intelligent. ;)

What a load of bs!

197 cup
Get whatever you can afford. Im 19 with a clio 197 cup, my insurance is £1300 fully comp with 3 points. Go with the clio!

Clio 197 + Mrk 3 DCI
Get whatever you can afford. Im 19 with a clio 197 cup, my insurance is £1300 fully comp with 3 points. Go with the clio!
Your a V lucky lad! Enjoy it! Looks like a nice motor to, love the black on the white

Last edited:
  MCS R56
Just did it on confused.com, cheapest was http://www.quoteacar.co.uk/

Just tried bell, and it was £3100 F/C?!

You are maybe in a bad insurance area. If you are having to fork out that amount to insure any car, nevermind a Clio, I would be looking at lower insurance group cars.

3rd party is a risky option and £3K to insure anything less than a Veyron is madness and clearly not worth it. Plenty of fun to be had in less powerful cars!