ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197/200 with Megane 225 engine

Countryman JCW
As above, has anyone done this conversion?

I saw a post mention its possible to drop a 225 engine straight into a 197 as its a direct fit, in a thread about SC'ing clio's. Someone mentioned SC'ing a 197, and was told not to bother, instead just put the 225 engine straight in.

Just interested really to see if anyone has done this, how they got on, prices, performance etc....

Ross

Countryman JCW
Any idea's of costs? is it a one of type of conversion, or is it as i remember seeing a straight swap?

Countryman JCW
Woooh, chill out! was only asking for some information, not your dinner money pal!

Ok well done, all that says is whether the conversion is possible.

It doesnt mention
- costs
- whether its a straight swap
- theres nothing there that says what a customers opinion is of the conversion
- i dont speak, nor can i read french/dutch!
- i dont use facebook

Thanks for taking time to reply though

Ph1
Woooh, chill out! was only asking for some information, not your dinner money pal!

Ok well done, all that says is whether the conversion is possible.

It doesnt mention
- costs
- whether its a straight swap
- theres nothing there that says what a customers opinion is of the conversion
- i dont speak, nor can i read french/dutch!
- i dont use facebook

Thanks for taking time to reply though

Translation isnt a problem on the net these days mate ;) - Right click and you might have the option already there without having to download a program or just copy and paste into yahoo translate.

One off conversion so cost would be impossible to predict would have thought?

Folk who have done the conversion will be happy, they'll have booooooost

TRACK CAR BREAKING
this would be such a waste off money...
why get a new, newish car then take the engine out?

Countryman JCW
Cheers for the replies guys.... As i thought it must be a one off, where ever i read that its a straight swap must have been pulled out of the air.

And i have to agree with Toms_clio, it would be a bit odd, probs best just buying a megane all along, but a boosted, reliable 197 would be alot of fun i imagine.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Says on the Youtube link it took 300 hours? Not gonna be cheap then I'm guessin haha.

Bg182 bitsa,thisthat
300 hours my arse . Or these are really slow workers I would have said 20 hours labour tops to do conversion

Sunflower PH1
i'll answer all the megane engine questions in the very near future as i'm just starting a conversion with an 08 197 and an 08 written off 230 r26,having looked at both in depth i'd say its going to be a fairly easy conversion

Bg182 bitsa,thisthat
Yea I'd say so too mate, I'm almost finished my megane 225 conversion in my ph1 and it really ain't took that long

Countryman JCW
Ph1 conversion, now that i will be very interested to see! keep us posted on both projects!

With the ph1, was it just gear box fitting probs?

Bg182 bitsa,thisthat
STD box drilled and tapped the block swapped sump for f4r 1 and manufactured a plate then welded it into the top ov the box to fit the two top bolt holes for where the 6. Speed would fit, and if it dose blow the box I. Will fit the nd0 later date if needed

Sunflower PH1
Fair do's mate yeh i started the conversion a year or so ago on my ph1 by drilling tapping the block to fit 5 speeder etc but ended up abandoning it before i fitted into the car,will be very good i'm sure once done though,as you say if the box holds out

Bg182 bitsa,thisthat
No ain't bothered with thread not sure how too up load pics with my phone as lap top is broke

Chav Rocket
im going to guess he is never going to do it as he obviously cant do anything for himself. lol.

225 block and head is definately straight fit, not sure on the 225 box, but then you wouldnt want a 225 box, you'd want an R26 one. You can use a 197 box on the 225/r26 block, so that can solve that issue, and if you must have an LSD, fit an aftermarket one to the 197 box.

Then the only issue is electronics, you could probably get away with the 197 ECU, but tbh for the little bit extra I'd go with a proper aftermarket ECU like the EC1 from TDF. This would obviously require cable throttle conversion though.

As you can see, theres a lot to think about, but it would be an epic conversion.

anyone else know any info on this conversion , what would i need if i were to do this to my 197 , i love the car , just the performance of the car is way to slow and they are near impossible to squeeze bhp out of , the only way seems to be , cams , map , matched inlets , and headwork , and then you only see 220bhp , would it not be easier to put a forged clio lump in it and then supercharge the clio lump or would this be a bigger job than the r26 lump

There's a chap over on clio197.net who has his car at RStuning at the moment, basically dropping in the 225 engine, gearbox and loom with some mods to make it fit.

It's been discussed at length and I think the consensus was that both would cost lots of money but only the megane transplant would be reliable, or is the only reliable option at the moment.