ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 - and some memories...

I don't get to spend as much time on my cars nowadays, so it's only recently that I've had the chance to take some snaps (and show some oldies too).

I bought my 197 last September and, because I don't drive to work, the 6,000 miles I've run up are all leisure. The gearbox was never right from new and was recently replaced under warranty with the new longer-geared 5th/6th version. I'm currently torn between keeping it standard or adding some very subtle lowering springs and exhaust - let me know your views.

The 197's Nimbus paintwork is a bit more complex than a basic silver metallic and I tried to capture this in the photos.

197002-1.jpg

197004.jpg

197008.jpg

16v2-1.jpg

Willy.jpg

Last edited:
  '92 172, Lotus Elise
I remember seeing a 197 in that colour once, looks brilliant! :D

and I recognise that valver (L HOL?) :D LisaGT isn't it?

The Valver was "Holly" - I sold it to bjfosteruk in 2003, who then sold it on to another forum member in 2004. I don't know what's happened to it since.

It was very quick for a 16V - 127bhp ATW!

ST
Love nimbus...was actually a standard nimbus 197 i was going to get but the R27 came up with a better deal..

"Navy" N17 TWO
Nimbus is great and your old cars a nice too :)

How do they all compare, have you had a 1*2 as well?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Lovely example. Wouldn't bother with the exhaust, they sound spot on as they are imo, the more miles the better. Mines on 16k and sounds supurb. Little trick of more noise. Take off the accoustic valve on the end of the airbox intake pipe. There is only a 10mm holding it on. Simply disconnect the vac hose, plug it up with a bolt etc. Will take ten mins and will cost you nothing. Gives it a little more induction noise. Springs are a must though imo :)

Nimbus is great and your old cars a nice too :)

How do they all compare, have you had a 1*2 as well?

Yeah, I had a Ph2 172 as well - bought from Daipac and sold only about 6 months later, hence the lack of pics!

They're all great cars. The Williams was probably the most "special" and got the most attention, although the 16V with leather was a real belter. The Ph2 172 had the best colour (Monaco Blue) and loads of kit, but didn't feel as special as the others.

Trying to be as neutral as possible, I think the 197 is the best all-rounder. It's faithful to old recipe of a subtle wide-arch stance and manic engine character, but takes the handling, quality and refinement to a new level. I don't think any version could be as special as a Willy unless Renault dropped a 2.2 litre lump in or something - the 172/182/197 variants are more like special editions than thorough re-workings IMO.

Renaultsport Clio 197
Nimbus is a very under-appreciated colour IMO! It looks great.

Tidy previous cars too

'cause photos don't do it justice....
It's COMPLETELY DIFFERENT when you see it in person.
I almost regreted ordering a nimbus 197 ...bashed my head for 3 montsh waiting and looking at dumb pictures.
And then when I saw it at the dealers :eek: :approve:

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
NOt sure on the nimbus myself, not seen a one in real life yet though.

Hyundai i40
uve captuned the colour well. but still not a bit fan of it, but then again the only one over he is constantly dirty