ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 Cup - flapping/chatter noise on power transfer

DaveL485

ClioSport Club Member
  21T, 9T, Meglio, V6
197 cup, 70k miles.

When shifting up a gear, or lifting off the power from harder acceleration, I get a wierd "flapping" noise from the front drivers side. It happens pretty much exactly when you would expect wastegate chatter noise on a turbo car. Its coming from around the belt/driveshaft/hub area and lasts about a second.
I can sometimes feel it through the steering wheel, very slightly. At first I thought it might be a weak aux belt tensioner and the belt was flailing about on sharp RPM changes - it that sort of noise, but I fitted a new belt and tensioner and the noise didnt change.
Ive fitted a powerflex top torque mount and new lower stabiliser for the engine, has the belt cover off to check the cambelt which seems OK (not due), I have fitten new lower swivel balljoints as they needed doing anyway, still no change. Ive also swapped out the drivers side driveshaft and again its made no difference, new anti-rotation link and drop links, still no difference.
Ive also had the subframe down at the back to change the manifold and made sure everything is tight. The noise happens/ is related to engine speed and not road speed.

I'm at a loss for what it is, unless the dephaser is failing and making a funny noise in the transfer between accel and decel. Anyone had anything similar? Any suggestions?

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
197 cup, 70k miles.

When shifting up a gear, or lifting off the power from harder acceleration, I get a wierd "flapping" noise from the front drivers side. It happens pretty much exactly when you would expect wastegate chatter noise on a turbo car. Its coming from around the belt/driveshaft/hub area and lasts about a second.
I can sometimes feel it through the steering wheel, very slightly. At first I thought it might be a weak aux belt tensioner and the belt was flailing about on sharp RPM changes - it that sort of noise, but I fitted a new belt and tensioner and the noise didnt change.
Ive fitted a powerflex top torque mount and new lower stabiliser for the engine, has the belt cover off to check the cambelt which seems OK (not due), I have fitten new lower swivel balljoints as they needed doing anyway, still no change. Ive also swapped out the drivers side driveshaft and again its made no difference, new anti-rotation link and drop links, still no difference.
Ive also had the subframe down at the back to change the manifold and made sure everything is tight. The noise happens/ is related to engine speed and not road speed.

I'm at a loss for what it is, unless the dephaser is failing and making a funny noise in the transfer between accel and decel. Anyone had anything similar? Any suggestions?

Did you ever discover the cause?

I have a noise which fits your description and trying to pinpoint it.

Cheers

DaveL485

ClioSport Club Member
  21T, 9T, Meglio, V6
Did you ever discover the cause?

I have a noise which fits your description and trying to pinpoint it.

Cheers
All I can tell you is that it was engine or gearbox related, as it stopped when I did the Meglio conversion on it. Other than that I can't be any more specific, sorry! It never caused any issues other than being a noise that was there though.