ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 Cup Vs Fiesta ST185 Vs Corsa VXR

Trophy 265/500
Don't knock the ST - not too shabby for the money now. Was scary expensive when it came out, but dealer discounts mean it's more competitive now.

Of course, the 500 Abarth super sport with the tuning kit will make the Fiesta look shite ;)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Do look nice in white. I still cant believe that it doesnt have the steering wheel or alloy pedals. Cup to me means track inspired (see 172) not bargin basement (see 182 and now 197) The alloy pedals and steering wheel add to the track theme for me

SLK 350
Do look nice in white. I still cant believe that it doesnt have the steering wheel or alloy pedals. Cup to me means track inspired (see 172) not bargin basement (see 182 and now 197) The alloy pedals and steering wheel add to the track theme for me

Hear hear!

Pedals aren't a problem just retrofit them, but the wheel is a b1tch and costs £.

'18 Megane dci
Everythings sounding rosey so far! A few good reviews popping up now :D

I wouldn't mind a weekend in the Corsa VXR 888 though, just for curiosities sake.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
That fiesta is appealing to me. I wasn't too keen on the 150bhp version but that revised model is worth a second look.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
^^^

But to be fair, so are new Renaults. Went I got in the 197 for the first time the first thing that struck me was how solid and meaty it all felt.

Dan

ST has better steering feel than the cup it says!

Where does it say that ?

Chris
First link of Lee's:
arrow_header.gif
VERDICT

FORD has done it again. The ST185 is another example of a standard car being transformed into a performance classic. The £605 suspension kit turns it into one of the best-handling hot hatches money can buy, while the £1,838 engine upgrade gives it the performance it has been crying out for.

This is the purest performance Ford since the Racing Puma – although it’s not cheap and will only appeal to real enthusiasts. It’s a well engineered thoroughbred, but it comes second to the Clio Cup, which offers an equally enthralling experience at a lower price. While it doesn’t have the steering feel or racy exhaust note of the Ford, the Renault is an absolute belter.

The Corsa is third: harsh for a car with the most performance and best cabin. But while it’s great on the road, in this test we wanted to track down the most focused hot hatch, and the VXR isn’t as sharp as its race-inspired rivals.

For the extra price of the ST185 you could kit the 197 with a nice zorst, remap and suspension, and have an even better car.

Personally for me, looks in and out are far nicer on the 197. Shame the interior isnt the same as the full fat.

What is good though, is that choice for us is wide and varied. I'd much prefer to have some close-run choices and have people choosing different cars from their own opinion than everyone driving around in the same semi-decent mild hatch because its the only one available.

RB 200 Cup!
if the packs for the ST make 182 bhp then why is it called ST185?

to make it appear better than a 182 or something? lol

172 Cup
the cup after three years worth £6,778 lol its lost £8217 in 3 yrs! 2739 a yr loss!! deffo not buying one new! he he

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
^^^

But that's if you pay £15k for one. Which no one will when you can have them for over £2k less than that, with options. Didn't someone say Arnold Clark in, erm, somewhere were punting out a pre-reg one for £12.5k with Recaros and A/C ?

Dan