ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 - Expensive!

Cupped 182 with Recaros
Went to have a sniff around a 197 today at Waters in St Albans. Asked the guy what it would cost to spec-up a new 197 to a similar spec to my 182 once all the options are available (cups packs and recaros). Cos the 197 does not have climate control, auto Xenons or auto wipers, you have to add them before you even get to the basic 182 spec, bringing price up to around £17,500 then he reckons cup packs and recaros would take it to nearer £19,000! That is Golf GTI money!

Last edited:
  Clio Cup
I don't think its as good value as the 172 or 182. What has detracted me from a purchase is the weight and that with every incarnation there has been like a increase in performance until now but not with the 197.

172 Exclusive... For Sale
Well i think they/Renault would have liked to get more power for the New Clio and give it similar power/weight ratio to the previous Clio but they had to balance the books as not to have it too identical in power and weight with the Megane. Also, they had to be careful with the size and the ability of not putting too much power to the wheels of the Clio and make it Focus RS style unbearable.

Personally i think the Clio MK 1 & 2 are similar cars but the current Mk 3 is radically different. The same way as the Golf Mk 1 & 2 are similar cars but the rest are radically different. Same could be said about the 205 and its "successor" the 206.

I sense a gap in the market though, how about a 100-150bhp engine in a 850-950kg, kinda like the Peugeot Rallye, Clio Williams? I mean yeah we've had the Suzuki Ignis, VW Lupo and Ford Ka but they've not had enough power to suceed the likes of the 205gti etc.