ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197...Just not as good as a Trophy.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Autocar stated the 197 was better than the 182 when they did their road test so it is all horses for courses.

It all depends which review you want to go with.

i go with driving it myself :)

Yeah but lets face it, Autocar probably preferred the 197 because it had a bigger boot, more rear legroom and didn't rattle all the time! :clown:

I really liked the 197 I test drove, although the steering was too light and I'd hate to take it on a motorway cruise, but other than that I'd rather have one than my current 172.

Although saying that, my next car isn't going to be a Renault, as I can see the 197 falling to pieces with age just like the mk2 clios did.

lol ;) autocar is the definitive drivers mag. just cos they ain't as focused as evo, dfoesn't mena they don't know their cars, especially the likes of chris harris and steve sutcliffe. very f**king funny journalists as well as good test drivers imo. been reading it for over 10 years, so thats my preference, not this evo s**t ;)

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
my long termer is going sweet :) i'll wait for autocars long termer review ;) be more accurate.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Looking forward to reading this month's Evo - mainly to read up on the VXR. Pretty much ignored the idea of getting one (as the pricing it too close to an R26) but I'm intrigued, nonetheless.

The one I saw at Brands Hatch looked very weedy on the standard 16s. The 18" option would be essential imo - but then you're hammering the acceleration times.

D.

MCS R56
My thoughts exactly fellas.

Its all about evolution. As you rightly said, the 172 was at its pinnacle with the Cup and the 182 was the same with the Trophy.

Same goes for the Meggy. Im fairly sure they have reached the top of the tree with it now.
I just hope RenaultSport do the 197 justice and make the Cup/Trophy version a right stormer.
It needs less weight and more power. Or one over the other. I think if it became less of a fatty bombatty then there would be less need for more grunt.

What if the other cars evolve?

Leon Cupra R 225
Sorry everyone, for my over-defensive thread... glad it got some of you thinking though ;)

I just love the 197!!!